Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: D&D, which edition? or something else?  (Read 12128 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: D&D, which edition? or something else?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 08:03:30 AM »
For roleplaying I'd go for WFRP because it has the best fantasy roleplaying campaign ever and the whole system is more based on roleplaying, after that I'd stick to basic dandd for esay hack and slash for a more skirmish based gaem...

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »
For roleplaying I'd go for WFRP because it has the best fantasy roleplaying campaign ever and the whole system is more based on roleplaying, after that I'd stick to basic dandd for esay hack and slash for a more skirmish based gaem...

Enemy within, right?  How hard is it to find that game these days?

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »
Enemy within, right?  How hard is it to find that game these days?

It is very much out of print. However you can still hunt around and purchase the individual books on ebay.

Mistake Identity
Shadows over bogenhaffen
Death on the reik
The powerbehind the thrown
Something rotten in kislev (optional)
The empire in flames.

Personally I'd go for the softback hogshead editions every time as they usually feature an extra introductory adventure. However its worth noting that eif was never reprinted by hogshead and so can go for £40+! One of the WFRP writers has rewrote the final section, changed the name to the empire at war, posted it on his website http://www.madalfred.com/.

I've never played eif or eaw but eaw is considered superior by the majority of the fan base. This is a campaign that I'd love to run

Cheers
Andy

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Ah, yeah that's right esp Power Behind, I'd say it's worth £15 a book if you can get it for that on ebay plus that's what a mod costs now).

But it's the career system too!

PS have a look here (187 hours): http://warhammer-enemy-within.blogspot.co.uk

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 08:37:48 AM »
EIF was a let down at the end but still good

We did it all, starting with  Oldehaller Contract from the WFRP book. Great Stuuf and the character develoment is just top.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
should def add in a rough night at the four feathers from WD it's great!!!!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »
Try to track this ones down

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warhammer-Battle-Book-Fantasy-Roleplay/dp/1872372228/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1334997710&sr=8-7

But you can get it for a LOT less that £400  :o :o :o, probably £30 on ebay.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
I like both WFRP and D&D (Pathfinder). However, they are completely different from their setting and intention. The Warhammer world is a world doomed to be overrun by chaos, players might be heroes but ultimately will only be pawns in the game of various powerful groups trying to get more powerful the competition. It's more a detective, conspiracy kind of setting. Keeping that in mind, if you have the right players for that - great. If you look for some heroic adventuring where you explore old dungeons or fallen empires, grab buckets ful of gold and sqander them on booze and chicks and easy living, Warhammer is not really the right setting for you. Plus the technology level and the fashion look a lot more like the early modern times (16th century) than medieval times (which I personally find more satisfying for a fantasy setting).
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »
I like both WFRP and D&D (Pathfinder). However, they are completely different from their setting and intention. The Warhammer world is a world doomed to be overrun by chaos, players might be heroes but ultimately will only be pawns in the game of various powerful groups trying to get more powerful the competition. It's more a detective, conspiracy kind of setting. Keeping that in mind, if you have the right players for that - great. If you look for some heroic adventuring where you explore old dungeons or fallen empires, grab buckets ful of gold and sqander them on booze and chicks and easy living, Warhammer is not really the right setting for you. Plus the technology level and the fashion look a lot more like the early modern times (16th century) than medieval times (which I personally find more satisfying for a fantasy setting).

I'd say that's acurrate!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 10:22:50 PM »
Dragon warriors here. Best british FRP system ever made and reprinted recently. Simple system with a late darkages early medieval feel to the setting.

Great memories for me, first ever RPG!!!

Offline Finsteel

• Lurker
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
Hi everyone. First post from a new member here.

I have played RPGs since Mentzer's red box D&D was translated to my native language around mid 80's. Since then I have played every edition of D&D and numerous other fantasy, horror, sci-fi, you-name-it games. My game of choice at the moment is the new version of Hackmaster. Here is a quote (with some links) from their webpage.

So, what's so great about HackMaster? What makes it different? Just read the Foreword to get a sense of how the game plays and the Introduction for more specific examples of key game concepts. Download the "Illustrated Example of Play" to get a more viceral idea of how HackMaster is played.

-F-

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »
Ha, I've always wanted to get a hold of Hackmaster, but when I had the money for it it was out of print. Is there a new edition out?
And Dragon warriors is cool as well. A friend of mine used to play it a lot. Unfortunately, I was at that time not too much into it but from what I remember there was a lot of potential in it.

Offline Finsteel

• Lurker
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 05:47:58 AM »
Hackmaster Basic has been out for a few years already. It has everything you need for the first five levels of play. Hacklopedia of Beasts came out of printers last year and the new Player's Handbook is being printed as I write this post. I believe you could still make a preorder of it and receive a pdf version of the book right away on top of the printed book when it arrives from the printers.

-F-

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
I must admit it changed my view of RPG's. I ambushed a party with 5 goblins on the first game. Party was cut to ribbons requiring a rethink of playing in the bash n loot style of FRPG's like basic D&D. Goblins in Dragon Warriors were supernatural creatures rather than wimpy orcs. The use of religion it it was really well done too. A saints finger bone in the pommel of your sword was a deadly additive if you were one of the faithful.

That relinds me of the first time I ran Pendragon for DandD players one knight charged the giant which hit him destroying his armour, flattening him, crushing the horse and leaving a massive dent in the ground!!!!