Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690961
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Test board for Pirates complete...  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Test board for Pirates complete...
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »
I finally snapped a few pics of my current test board for some modified LOTHS pirate action.  It's more generic terrain (trees, and houses) so that they can be used for a variety of other games without looking too Caribbean-ish.  Lots more stuff on the table - including a number of islands, a tower, and obviously ships and miniatures.

Thought I'd share.  Most of the MDF stuff is 4Ground (houses, wagons, carts).  I was happy to realize that almost all of my Old West "junk" that I scatter around the town works perfect with both (even the wagons which were bought for Old West).  Excuse many of the glaring technical inaccuracies.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
Re: Test board for Pirates complete...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
Good set up looking forward to seeing the pirates appear soon.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »
I have one pirate painted, and four slaves (one of the factions playable is Slave Traders)...and a whole slew of other ones to paint. It'll be a while!

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »
Really nice clean finish. Lovely looking! If you can get your hands on more debris you may wish to use it, block some LOS.

Also i love the circular table! I'm not sure why, but it really seems to suit this sort of game.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:37 PM »
I have a lot more "debris" on the way for sure.  Got numerous small hills and rocky outcroppings, a box of ruined buildings, a tower, eventually a fortress etc.  I have a set of walls as well.  The board is definitely "naked" at this point.  Just testing it out (comparing the vision in my head, to what I had build).

I'll update the thread as progress occurs.

Here are some details of the interiors of the excellent 4Ground buildings.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
Nice looking board.

Wasn't really aware of 4Ground before but their buildings are really nice.

Who makes the beds?

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
Nice looking board!  :-*

I can't wait to see it populated with Pirates.  :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
The beds are from my rather large selection of Dwarven Forge kits.  I assembled all of the boxes, crates, tables and such for a home-brew dungeon crawl.  Turns out they worked pretty well for Old West...and now turns out they work well for Pirates.

I guess you can never have too many tables, beds, chairs, barrels and boxes!

Regarding 4Ground - I've quite a few buildings from a couple of good laser-cut manufacturers.  Without question though, the 4Ground stuff is the best made.  My only complaint is that some of the kits are rather involved. The wagons could be simplified - they're supplied so that you build them almost as you'd build a real wagon!  But, the extra time is worth the effort.  The large building was very much a chore. It's about a 2 lb. bag of MDF, but the final product is excellent.  I'd consider opting for pre-painted ones next time, as it takes a toll on your patience painting a couple hundred small squares of plaster!

Great stuff though, I'll be ordering a few more from them for sure.  Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 05:38:52 PM by Elbows »

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
Looks to be just the thing for salty sea-dogs to fight over or raid.  Well done!
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 09:10:29 PM »
Really nice.  Must look up 4ground.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:02 PM »
Wonderful, inspiration for my own table. Echo the comments on 4Ground. Where are the hills/islands from?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:15:33 AM »
The islands are temporary (likely) - just made from 1" pink insulation foam, painted, flocked, and the edges sprayed with Krylon "Make it Stone" spray --- which is a beige stone/gravel texture, so makes for simple "beach" stuff.  I know it's not very realistic, but it's entirely for gaming purposes.  I have an assortment of large islands, and smaller islands (which in turn can simply be used as hills on the larger islands).

With several ships on the way, this rather small dining room table is for photos only.  I could squeeze one more island on there though, maybe toss a single masted ship against a dock and it would be big enough for a small fight.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »
You are putting out some fantastic work here!   I love it all.

Jake
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
I'm debating ordering some more 4Ground stuff.  While I have one of each of their current ECW style kits, I'm debating ordering another large one simply to kit-bash with some plasticard/foamboard and see if I can come up with an additional building or two to help fill the table out.  If not, I'll just kitbash and make my own.  Finished the Roman guard tower which will serve as a simple port tower - pics later.  Also have two ships under slow progress, and a stone pier section as well.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 01:34:37 AM »
The newest additions...the wall set from 4Ground is done.  I got foiled again by my "stone grey" paint from Vallejo which is a beautiful light grey/beige in the bottle, and dries a rather dark grey.  I'm lazy though, so I'll leave it for now.

The 4Ground Limes tower (Roman watch tower).  While it's not remotely accurate, I like the building, and wanted some kind of tower present on the board.  This may be replaced eventually, but can serve in a number of wargame types, so who cares.  It's of similar enough construction to not look completely ridiculous.  It's three tiered, with a 360-degree balcony on the main level, two sub-levels including a basement structure inside the brick bottom.

Wargame Factory "slave" shown for scale purposes.

Another small added island.  I have some more piers, and boarding planks, as well as ships and another small dinghy on the way.

Once I finish the two main ships I'll be using, I'm going to stop working on terrain until I get a bunch of minis painted up.