Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Beast Within: Empire of the Dead Apes: update June 14: Battle Report  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
No, I know that one, I have it, what I mean is the ape in the bowler hat next to him. :)

It looks like an Empire of the Dead Miniature, but with a Bowler instead of a Top-Hat.

The Circ du Noir Man Ape.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
Thanks all :)
I did have fun crafting the background setting for them.  If you read the timeline on the blog, has anyone spotted the tie-in with a famous bit of fiction?

West Wind picking 1888 worked out just perfect for me!

White Knight: my 'Alphie' is from West Wind itself, designed for the Empire of the Dead game- he's a special character, Circ du Noir Man Ape, but here I'm using him for my 2nd character instead of a special character. The mini comes with 2hat choices: top & bowler.

War in 15mm:  the minis are:
James Clayton: Malifaux Seamus Avatar
Alphie: West Wind Circ du Noir Man Ape
Apes: Dust Tactics Axis Gorillas
Police: Lead Adventure Miniatures Victorian Police
Household Staff: Ironclad Miniatures Armed Staff  http://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/shop/article_ODD07/ODD07.html?shop_param=cid%3D27%26aid%3DODD07%26

Skrapwelder: Well, if Bunnies & Burrows I could dial it back to marmosets.   ;D

Grimmnar: Sounds great!

Van-Helsing: Yep, that's him! the mini comes with a sprue of 2 different hats, I went with the bowler so he wouldn't look like 'mini-me ape' for Lord Greystoke.  ;)
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
those household minis are great and at £5 for 4 it's almost a crime not to buy them!!!!!!

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
Van-Helsing: Yep, that's him! the mini comes with a sprue of 2 different hats, I went with the bowler so he wouldn't look like 'mini-me ape' for Lord Greystoke.  ;)

I haven't even got mine out of the Blister yet LoL!  lol

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
That Seamus model is absolutely awesome.  The price however, is not.  Ouch!
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Big Frank

• Scientist
What a fantastic idea and a great choice of mini's.
 Looking forward to seeing them painted up.

Offline luidinuovo

• Scientist
Very Cool Idea,like it.

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
Thanks all for the kind responses!  :D

Finally had a chance to write up a battle report for our first night.

The full update is here:
http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/2012/06/apes-hit-london-come-out-swinging.html

Here is a picture of the w.i.p. painting of the starting forces for the faction:

Here is the report of the first game, 2nd game where I played the Peelers to prevent the Women Against Whalebone Society from rescuing a member is on the blog with the rest of the 'building up the faction' linked above.

First Game was against the Gentlemen's Club.

The mission was to find an artifact that was rumored to be nearby.  It was night, which was pretty good for me.  We had 7 possible locations to search.  After a full turn searching the spot a team member could search and on a roll of 9 or 10 on the d10 it would be the artifact, otherwise that location was cleared.  Unlike a similar scenario I remember from Mordheim, it is not the case that the sought item will be the last token searched if none of the others were it.  The last is rolled like any other- if it isn't it, there is no artifact- perhaps the rumor was just an empty story.  I like this, since there can be some shenanigans in the other system when it's down to a couple search spots left.

The artifact is somewhere in this neighborhood... then again, maybe it isn't. We deployed in 2 groups, each having a diagonal, I had the lower left & upper right while the Cognac Sippers Super Club had the other two corners. He advanced more cautious than I, preparing for shots when he could take them.  I decided I'd not head him, and raced out to search as many spots as I could.  Of the 7, I managed to get to 6 locations.
None of them were the artifact.
His President and a few others with guns and a shotgun opened fire on my Butler, Greystoke and an Ape, but I survived fine.

When only 1 spot remained to search I started to move to envelop this group, and got a wound on his 2 wound President with an arrow.  Once it was clear there was no artifact, his club left the field. No artifact meant it was a draw. No one was removed from play so we each got 15 shillings for the tie and 2 per surviving member.

Lord Greystoke got an additional attack and Alphie got the regeneration skill. 

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Those are your WIP paintjobs?  They look better than almost anything I've ever called finished.