Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:58:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Aliens vs Predator (+Colonial Marines)  (Read 37173 times)

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
    • Small Scale Operations Blog, my wargaming blog
Re: 28mm AVP project: Update Colonial Marines 1
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 07:57:22 AM »
Looking very nice there, definitely want to see more of this project. Is it just me, or did you check out/use my CM painting tutorial? The look of the paintjob is very familiar!

Not an exact copy in terms of techniques, steps and colour palette used, but your tutorial was used as a guideline, yes.  8)

Offline WayneN

• Student
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »
Liking the powerloader alot, but seems a little small,  also found the list of inspiration at the start really useful...

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »

The complete first section, with squads #1 and #2 (Woodbine Miniatures).

US Colonial Marines Squad 2 (Woodbine Miniatures)

From left to right: Pvt. Wierzbowski, Cpl. Hicks, Pfc. Vasquez, Pvt. Crowe

Pvt. Wierzbowski wielding a M240 Flamethrower, Cpl. Hicks with M37 Shotgun

Bases are from Fenris Games' Sulaco series, Cpl. Hicks also has a M41 "Pulse Rifle" strapped to his back.

Pfc. Vasquez wielding a M56 "Smartgun", Pvt. Crowe armed with a M41 "Pulse Rifle"

Vasquez' gun has been slightly modified, just like the counterpart of Pvt. Drake

Section 1, led into combat by GySgt. Apone.

GySgt. Apone armed with VP-70 pistol, M240 Flamethrower and equipped with IR Binocculars

M41 "Pulse Rifle" on Apone's back, making him the best-armed Marine of the section   >:D

AVP project: humans painted so far (January 2013)

So here we are, finally in the year 2013. Projects don't get completed as fast as I was hoping for. Serious illness of a family member prevents me from painting most of the stuff that sits on my table currently. Small progress was made over the weekend, as I finally was able to get at least section #1 of my Colonial Marines completed. Next addition will be the supporting characters like Gorman, Ripley, the Dropship crew etc.
Once again I am not completely satisfied - I just can't make it happen - faces on my miniatures still look horribly. 20+ years in the hobby and I still can't paint them to a comfortable standard  :'(
Maybe that's why I do prefer 28mm figures to have fully enclosed helmets?!   8)

The long painting war continues...

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 28mm AVP project: Update Colonial Marines #2
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »
Nice project so far, Sgt. Scream, though I don't like that much those Woodbine minis, especially the faces ;)

But great work so far.

Do you know if the Reviresco Powerloader is still available somewhere?
I'm going for the Denizen minis in my own project and I guess the powerloader will fit right in ;)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
Hasslefree recently released this mini:

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=akkie~hfsf012&category=miniatures~%2Anew-toys%2A

I think you could do a good use of that :)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
Very awesome project. Esp that power loader.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 10:18:02 PM »
Hasslefree recently released this mini:

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=akkie~hfsf012&category=miniatures~%2Anew-toys%2A

I think you could do a good use of that :)

I already ordered them. I need a nice figure for Newt and Hasslefree's are the best for that. I also will paint another section using the names of the AVP trading card game. So I need a Pvt. Masters and a Pvt. Rogers for being my smartgunners. This figure comes in handy. So expect some painted of these in the future.

Nice project so far, Sgt. Scream, though I don't like that much those Woodbine minis, especially the faces ;)

But great work so far.

Do you know if the Reviresco Powerloader is still available somewhere?
I'm going for the Denizen minis in my own project and I guess the powerloader will fit right in ;)

The Reviresco Loader is still available on their website AFAIK. Its very tiny, hence my modifications.

@Dentatus: thank you!

Progress was made today:

Leading officer of my Colonial Marine forces: 2nd Lt. Gorman (Woodbine Miniatures)

Not really expecting to be out in the fight, Gorman still got injured early in the mission

Standard issue khaki coloured uniform and only a VP-70 pistol - Gorman didn't expect to be in a fight (no, really!)

Not much to show at all but I managed to get Gorman painted. He's another piece of the Woodbine Miniatures Character Set. Depicted is Gorman later during the campaign, after he injured his head, when the remaining Marines were fleeing the planetary processing unit in an APC.

I went with a really simple scheme, showing the Marine standard issue one-colour field dress (khaki). I was however trying to add as many of the patches that are seen in the movie as possible. So, Gorman sports both USCM badges (shoulder and chest pocket) and an US flag. The green stripes on the chest are supposed to resemble his name tags and service branch (Marines).

Gorman is un-armed apart from a VP-70 pistol.

Stay tuned for more AVP items in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »
I´m in for a game almost anytime, Chris!
Can provide some terrain and a few opponents (well, probably more than your colonial marines could swallow)...

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 10:36:15 PM »
Wouldn't mind at all having you here for a game some day in the future, mate. :-) Oh, I do have some 40 of these Xenomorphs as well. Definitely more than what the USCM will be able to deal with. Shhhh, don't tell anyone but I will probably playing "the Hive" most of the times (our group more or less has their favourites even right now its all still WIP).

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 10:37:27 PM »
Nice work on those marines Sgt.  :D

I've got a few packs of those to paint too. I really like the camo effect you've got there.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »
I'd love to see these guys in some of those Bug Hunt Corridors.

"Let's Rock!"

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
I'd love to see these guys in some of those Bug Hunt Corridors.

"Let's Rock!"

Me too!  :D

Nice work on those marines Sgt.  :D

I've got a few packs of those to paint too. I really like the camo effect you've got there.

Thanks, I am far from being a good painter, but I guess its good enough for gaming with them.

Update: Alien Warriors and Royal Guards

"They grow into killers in a matter of days" - Alien Warrior drone

Alien Warrior (rebased WizKids Horrorclix figures)

Since there is different types of Xenomorphs the bases are marked ("Warrior")

"They protect the Queen with their lives" - Alien Royal Guard

Three Royal Guards. These are even more dangerous than regular Warrior drones

First batch of Alien Xenomorphs ready for gaming

...there is way more where these are coming from :-)

As the core of my Colonial Marines is finished it was about time to add some stuff to the opposition. In this case it is going to be Aliens of two types to start my "hive": Warrior and Royal Guard drones. I am aware that the Pretorians (as the Guards are also known as) would normally look different, but there is no miniatures available for them and I wanted to have some variation in my forces.
So the climbing Alien figures are all going to be Royal Guards while the other miniatures are going to be either Warriors for the most part.
Royal Guards are rare and chances for them to appear will be low in our games, but naturally they will be encountered en masse if you are coming to close to a breeding chamber of a Queen.
The regular Warrior drones are what is going to be the main enemy encountered by Predators and Humans alike. I have a huge pile of these figures and there will be plenty of these - some 40 or so.

Bases are once again from Fenris Games, the Alien saliva is made out of glue. Just put a few drops down into an old lid of a bottle and wait a few minutes for the glue to start to bond. Then use a toothpick and start to pull drips of glue out of it - the glue starts to leave thin strings - and add it to the jaws of the Aliens. Done!

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 28mm AVP project: update: Alien Warriors & Royal Guards
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »
Looking good.  :D

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
It's the attention to detail that always takes something from good to GREAT.  The saliva improved the aliens tenfold, yet the model itself is the same.  As my daughter says, "That's the AwesomeSauce!"

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »
Loving them. Must buy me some... Along with all those other things