Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 10:32:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696199
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tramp Steamer and Crew.  (Read 10270 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:34:08 PM »
Ok all you Tramper captains out there I need some help comming up with a design for my Tramp Steamer.  I'm definately going for simplicity here.  I plan to scratch build the ship and fittings for this one so I don't want to get too complicated.  I'm planning on doing a boat built between the 1890s and 1900 that I will be using in my pulp games largely set in the 20-40s.  My building supplies are largely foamcore, bass wood, various types of cardboard mat board and cardstock, and wire.  I'm not much of a plastic card modeler.  Also she will have about a 15 man crew and I need a ship that can make ocean voyages so a riverboat won't cut it.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:09:37 PM »
Given your specs you don't need my advice but let me tell you what I did anyway, just in case you change your mind.

I bought a very, very nice 1/100 papermodel of a 1920 Glasgow coastal tramper, which I scaled up to 1/50 on a xerox. Then I transferred the prints to styrene sheet. It is not ready but I am very happy with it so far. I run into a snag with the ventialtor funnels because they are a pain in the bee-hind to scratch build. I have now ordered a bunch of fiddly bits from Graupner whoich are roughly in scale and very nice. Have a look, I think you'll be tempted by at least a few things. Fast service to. I would not be surprised if there is a US agent.

Also: I went with a coastal tramper becuase I want it authentic looking but not too big for a gaming table. I have another paper model of a larger freighter but it is from a later era and her lines are nowhere near as nice as the Scottish lass'.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »
I'd just look at the last part of the stern slightly askew and just before its sliding under the water with the captain giving a salute on the stern rail  :lol:  

As my jolly U boat chalks up another victim 8)

God Bless

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:26:54 PM »
Now that just isn't going to happen, Helen, and you know it. You'll arrive just in time to pick up some survivors and perhaps a bit of flotsam, and see my K.u.K. U-Boat sailing off into the sunset.

I know usually the Germans could knock the gimcrack, wonky old Hapsburgs into a cocked hat, but my crack crew of Croats, Italians and Hungarians are commanded by a singing U-Boat Captain from the Tyrol. And singing Captains trump anything the Germans can come up with.

Doe, a deer, a female deer,
Ray, a drop of golden sun,
Me, a name I call myself...

:)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 10:37:19 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

Keep that up and Axis or Entente will matter no longer and we'll all gang up on ya!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 10:47:45 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Now that just isn't going to happen, Helen, and you know it. You'll arrive just in time to pick up some survivors and perhaps a bit of flotsam, and see my K.u.K. U-Boat sailing off into the sunset.

I know usually the Germans could knock the gimcrack, wonky old Hapsburgs into a cocked hat, but my crack crew of Croats, Italians and Hungarians are commanded by a singing U-Boat Captain from the Tyrol. And singing Captains trump anything the Germans can come up with.

:)

Doh!

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:47:43 AM »
This deviates a bit from your goal of scratchbuilding, but Reverisco has a nice multi-media kit for a tramp steamer - and only $20!

http://www.tin-soldier.com/thor.htm

(on the other hand, you could simply look at the picture of the model, and use it as a basis for scratchbuilding your own...)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 03:24:33 AM »
Quote from: "Will Bailie"
This deviates a bit from your goal of scratchbuilding, but Reverisco has a nice multi-media kit for a tramp steamer - and only $20!

http://www.tin-soldier.com/thor.htm

(on the other hand, you could simply look at the picture of the model, and use it as a basis for scratchbuilding your own...)

And that steamer "Minos" is really nice.  Reviresco's ship fittings are worthwhile time savers, and can be purchased separately from the ships.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 03:59:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  The Thor is beautiful but it's a bit small.  The Minios is more like it but it's more than I can budget for this project.  

The main hang up I have is how to construct the stern of the ship.  I'd rather it sloped upward like the stern of the Minios but I don't know how to go about that.  

Oh and here's the first crewman.  

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 05:50:25 AM »
See if this works
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 07:15:57 AM »
Quote from: "Ironworker"
I'd rather it sloped upward like the stern of the Minios but I don't know how to go about that.  

Your choice, but it is non-typical for the era you are thinking of. Before the Great War, I think, the stern of a steamer typically rose vertically. It's really one of the tell tale marks when it comes to dating a ship.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »
That's something I wasn't sure about.  Where could I find information on ships build before WWI.  Most of the stuff I'm seeing is later than that.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 02:21:24 PM »
That's something I wasn't sure about.  Where could I find information on ships build before WWI.  Most of the stuff I'm seeing is later than that.

I am talking out of my rear, I keep mixing up the terms in English. I was thinking of the BOW. I am sorry for my confusion.  :oops:

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 09:33:56 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"

I am talking out of my rear, I keep mixing up the terms in English. I was thinking of the BOW. I am sorry for my confusion.  :oops:

So is the front high and the back low? :wink:
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Tramp Steamer and Crew.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 01:03:42 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"

No problem.  It's perfectly understandable.