Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:08:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689820
  • Total Topics: 118298
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Knight Models have done a Batman game  (Read 45335 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Knight Models have done a Batman game
« on: September 26, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
Holy smokes indeedy! o_o
http://www.beastsofwar.com/knight-models/holy-smokes-batman-miniatures-game/

But, will it be crowdfunded? The superhero gaming world awaits the revelations to come with bated breath...

ETA -- fixed the subject 8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:30:06 AM by tnjrp »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Knight Models to do a Batman game?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »
...They dumped Starwars for this? Couldn't they have done something with the SW licence instead?

I'm a bit disappointed to say the least.  :(

(And that's not to say that I don't like Batman or the models they've previewed... Just that I cannot remember how long I've been waiting for a decent SW game with affordable minis.)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
Might be a cost issue on SW license?

At a quick peruse to their catalog, the actual name of the game could be Batman - Arkham City.  Also, if their 35mm Batman model is any guideline, then affordable with this particular game is as affordable does (can't recall how much their SW figs used to cost).

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
The licence is always the issue with any company, when they start not making money with a game it gets dumped because it costs so much $ to licence to Lucas and company. The list is huge: West End Games, two CCG companies (Deceipher), WOTC Star Wars Clix ( no longer made) and the Space One they did, there was some paper Star Wars starfighter game just to name a few.....anything that ends up with a Star Wars label has a hard time due to up front costs and to maintain the licence plus Lucas and company also control the rights so they usually have a say over content as well.

DC is more open to selling their rights to boost the struggling comic market that has went into a sharp decline since the 90's. Prices keep climbing up, people are buying less and many people walked when they did the Universe resets...I did...this looks interesting..
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Vern

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
...They dumped Starwars for this? Couldn't they have done something with the SW licence instead?

I'm a bit disappointed to say the least.  :(

+1

My personal guess, is they ditched Star War in order to go after the Tolkien licence (especially with The Hobbit coming out). Still, 30mm DC (& hopefully followed by Marvel) figures could be pretty good news.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »
I think they are going to be bigger than 30mm, at least the the info I read somewhere.  It must be true, I read it on the internet.   lol

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »
35mm  if I recall correctly.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
But why of flipping fecking feck why do they always have to go 35 frigging mm!!!!??!?! I'm all for 'exclusivity' but come on, 28mm and you get more sales, more cross over and more pick up potential surely as people can add to what they have and proxy in all directions surely!?!??!

Grr.... etc...

;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »
Yep, I love, love, love me some Batman, but if the minis are some BS size like 35mm I'm out.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:21:41 PM »
But why of flipping fecking feck why do they always have to go 35 frigging mm!!!!??!?! I'm all for 'exclusivity' but come on, 28mm and you get more sales, more cross over and more pick up potential surely as people can add to what they have and proxy in all directions surely!?!??!

Grr.... etc...

;)

You make a larger scale so you can sell your game and your minis, if you just sell the minis and not the game then you are missing half the profit.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 09:19:06 PM »
Yes I get the my minis my game sales pitch I said that, what I was saying was if your market is 'x' with 35mm (knight minis knight game) but if you pitched ar 28mm your market increases to 3x (knight minis knight game, knight minis someone elses game and knight game proxy minis) then I'm sorry but you are increasing your potential profit not missing half surely? Also when did I say only sell the minis sorry?

If I had no interest in the game but wanted a dark knight for pulp city or any other supers games, having a 35mm knight one that sticks out like a batsignal on full power next to my 28mm minis isn't going to work for me, but if it was in a scale where crossover was a cert then more product would be shifted.

::)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »
Yes I get the my minis my game sales pitch I said that, what I was saying was if your market is 'x' with 35mm (knight minis knight game) but if you pitched ar 28mm your market increases to 3x (knight minis knight game, knight minis someone elses game and knight game proxy minis) then I'm sorry but you are increasing your potential profit not missing half surely? Also when did I say only sell the minis sorry?

If I had no interest in the game but wanted a dark knight for pulp city or any other supers games, having a 35mm knight one that sticks out like a batsignal on full power next to my 28mm minis isn't going to work for me, but if it was in a scale where crossover was a cert then more product would be shifted.

::)

They may be trying to create a new market size....trying to make a new standard.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
Can't see anything wrong with that, after all Fantasy Flight Games's Mutant Chronicles CMG has been a smashing success!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 12:19:35 AM »
What a plastic boardgame for mutant chronicles? Never heard of that edition sorry, also not sure how that fits with the thread, are they another scale then?

edit: looks great  :? http://drakesflames.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/crappy-game-review-mutant-chronicles.html

Anyway.....

Appreciate the be range new world order idea, my I think my point stand, if they can afford to isolate the wider market and market share by making scale incompatable with the other supers ranges then good luck. But they will shift less product than if they went down the 28mm route.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:29:58 AM by Commander Vyper »

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 06:51:20 AM »
I think "real 28mm" is falling on the wayside... Quite a few scifi minis companies are making what is described as "32mm scale" these days, which really means ca. 35mm top-of-the-head. If KM is measuring that way, instead of to the eye level, then they aren't overtly huge compared to quite a bit of what's become on offer over the last 5 or so years. Of course the comparison should be to modern/very near future minis really and I can't say if they are shifting the size up on that front as well.