Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (24-10-2015 Gift for a friend)  (Read 17502 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (21-6-2015 3 new buildings!)
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2015, 10:16:27 PM »
Added something to the future project list (while I am at it)

Thx to a Pulp Alley topic on the LAF > http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=79956.0;topicseen I've been inspired to have a look at city walls and a Arab fort. Well, a Sahara fort anyway. Plenty of those to find online, useful for Pulp, WW2 and modern era if you keep it modular. Lots of gamers have built them so plenty of ideas now. Well chuffed.

From the looks of it, 4 towers, 6 - 8 sections of wall and 1- 4 gates should suffice for a basic fort or a castle wall lining the table, with stuff like a tower and court yard buildings taking it up to 20 pcs.

Here are 2 of the most useful setups that I found on the net.

Both consist of towers, straights and gates, are completely KISS and simple enough to build. Just those damned battlements worry me, I think it will be safer to do those in a double row of 2 x 3mm thick blue foam for safety....even if it means cutting out the double amount :P
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Dougie

• Assistant
Re: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (26-6-2015 more planning!)
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »
Just come across this, its to your usual high standard, lots of ideas to steal! Keep up the good work!
Dougie

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (26-6-2015 more planning!)
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »
Thx Dougie, will do!

Tried to watch the telly today after the kids went to bed, got bored and grabbed my tools instead.

Nothing major, more KISS using fixed size thin plasticcard overlaid on a base, with details drilled and or raised (or both). Simple things really.

From left to right.

Door with a spyhole for me to pop something out a la C-3PO and R2-D2 at the door to Jabba's palace (thx Rob for putting that idea in my head!)
    Reinforced metal door
    Sorta Kinda metal vault door, with the round bit inside for fitting a wheel to open the door like they have on a sub....my Zinge Industries ones will work for that.
    Normal door
    Piece of a old HO scale house that looked door-ish
    First door (and a lot of work it was)
    Door with thinner strips to colour in

While delving through my plasticcard scrap box I also found another abandoned HO-sprue that will make excellent shutters for sci-fi.

Both lots will be turned into press moulds later this week so I can full out with more greenstuff and get plenty of casts done when I start my sci-fi buildings.

And in other news.....I managed to trade one of my surplus Black Hawks for a Star Trek Kazon Fighter that I will be converting a bit. I already have the Kazon Torpedo built up, flight stand ready, I just need to make a flight base for it when it is parked somewhere. Bargain deal really.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (9/12/2015 Doors. Thousands of them)
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2015, 09:33:49 PM »
Got a message from my caster with a update:

That should keep me busy for a while :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (28-6-2015 Knock knock!)
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »
Pretty cool
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (28-6-2015 Knock knock!)
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2015, 10:42:01 PM »
Well, The metal doors turned up and I was promptly distracted by other stuff. Jay.

Not as much other stuff though, but other possibilities, like 3d Printed items for te future sci-fi versions of these buildings, like this items:

So, 2 weeks ago on my weekly hobby evening, I created these 2:

Tonight I added a larger building to the mix:

And they work well together:

I'm building a lot of five 20mm scaled pieces as a gift for a friend who donated me a lot of GW stuff for pennies (well, I did asked him what he wanted in return) so these look a bit rough now, not sanded yet, no detailing done and not stuccoed, but I want to take all that in steps when all 5 shells are done, more economical time wise. Another 1-2 story is next as well as one 2 story building. I won't paint them though, he can do that himself :)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Generic Middle East Village in 20mm (24-10-2015 Gift for a friend)
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2015, 11:26:36 PM »
Can't wait to see the sci-fi versions!

I like that your buildings are not just cubes, but rather compounds of complex shapes. Those courtyards, nooks and crannies will make gameplay more fun, I suspect.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2015, 11:40:29 PM »
OOh these look cool mate! pretty exciting having your own stuff cast up!  8) 8)

Cheers
Matt

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
Can't wait to see the sci-fi versions!

I like that your buildings are not just cubes, but rather compounds of complex shapes. Those courtyards, nooks and crannies will make gameplay more fun, I suspect.

Quite so, By giving a minimalistic footprint they easily slide together in any way I (or friends) can imagine them, something I always felt lacking in my old basing style. I really like what I can achive with these for the same, nay even less effort. All of the stuff I usually tacked on will now be on seperate bases so I can mix and match those as well. They can even be used in the sci-fi setting by the stuff I put around them, effectively doubling my collection when it is all done.

I finished 2 story shell of a more affluent house while my kids were taking a nap, and I think I will try and make the last house tonight so I have enough time to clean up everything in the 2 weeks I have left till Crisis.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »
Those are very fine looking buildings already!  :-*

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2015, 10:14:23 PM »
While the little ones were sleeping today I built number 4, and tonight I built number 5. Nr 4 is a well-to-do house, 2 story, with a fancy entrance and a backexit. It comes with a loose dome (not in the pictures, only in the group shot at the end).

Building nr 5 I did just now, also a 1-2 story with a terrace, but this time the door is sunk to terrace level instead with 1-2 steps down....I must say I like it this way. Fits with the crazy DIY architecture.

And here is the group combined, randomly thrown together :)

If I have the time, I'll sand down the lot tomorrow, clean up the edges, add doorknobs and metalwork, do the stucco and the first coat of Gesso on the roofs. Later that week another coat and sanding and then they are done more then a week before schedule, and with that I have finished the 2nd sheets of 12 sheets of blue foam that I have. Which is good, cause my trip through the DIY earlier this week failed to turn up any sheets at all where I last saw them, all replaced with green paper pulp like sheets....useless for my needs. So I better make these count :)

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to enjoy that extra hour of sleep :)

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2015, 02:43:42 AM »
Looks great so far.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2015, 10:49:38 AM »
Some awesome additions in the last little while. Looking forward to you getting paint on these.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2015, 07:10:12 PM »
Got an impressive amount of work done on this town.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2015, 08:44:33 PM »
Lucky, I won't be painting the last five, I'm giving them away as is, ready for primer. Finished the stuccowork tonight, sanding them down tomorrow and then the last details, and then back to my own lot. I'm dying to do a try out for a sci-fi tower I have planned, and if that works as planned I will do a whole load of those :)