Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Hobbit minis; are those prices for real??  (Read 9913 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
The Hobbit minis; are those prices for real??
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »
I just browsed the GW website for the first time in almost a year, as I wanted to have a look at the newest installment of their paints - and then my attention was drawn to the button 'The Hobbit'.

Elrond, foot and mounted, DKK 250,-. And then it's a resin model...

I don't think I'll be bying Citadel minis ever again, sadly, as I had hoped to supplement my LotR collection with some of the characters (that was before they moved away from metal completely).

(walks away, slowly shaking his head in disbelief)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lapin Rouge

• Librarian
    • Scenery on Demand
Re: The Hobbit minis; are those prices for real??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »
yes it's real :s

35€ in france...

when i was young, GW's prices were already high but i didn't work yet, now i'm working and i'm not poor but prices still too much high :'(

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
Yep, me reaction when I took my 10 year old son in to GW now he is getting into figure painting  :)

How kids (let alone anybody else) are meant to afford these figures is beyond me. He was given a resin Goblin King for his birthday which I started to clean up (probably more flash than figure) and I found the figure virtually crumbling in my hands, so crap material as well as overpriced.

Happily we can pick up secondhand stuff at shows, but I have come to the conclusion GW stinks, and am convinced it will price itself into the grave.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
Word of advice... if you don't like those prices for Hobbit stuff, do not look at the prices for their new Warriors of Chaos release for fantasy...  :o
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

former user

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »
but I have come to the conclusion GW stinks, and am convinced it will price itself into the grave.

that's what almost everyone has been hoping for the last 20 years

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
I was also tempted by the hobbit, but not at that price.   :o

I even let my sub to White Dwarf go today, I can't remember the last article I read in it.....  :'(
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »
I do wonder what's going on at GW. The prices are so far past reasonable now that I can't understand how they don't see how illogical it is to price your target audience (in their case these days kids) out of the product.

Offline Jet Simian

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 12:24:15 AM »
It's why I'm making do with the Dwarf Rangers for my Hobbit proxies. I haven't bought any new GW product since 2007!

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:10:03 AM »
Gad!   :o  They must have paid a king's ransom for the rights to make this stuff!  The amazing thing is it will likely sell enough for them to be satisfied.  Maybe this will push people away...but GW seems to always survive.  I haven't bought any of their stuff for years unless I can get it second-hand and for cheap.
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »
I had a look at GW plastic imperial guard the other day. Made me feel like a bit of a cheapskate for thinking cheaper (and nicer) metal historicals were too expensive.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »
Yes, those are for real. And there's only one thing we, as customers, can do about it, is go somewhere else to buy our miniatures. And support the smaller, up coming companies that sell a quality product and listen to you as a customer and answer questions about it. I personally have concluded, a long time ago, that there is no use keep complaining as the ones who ought to listen to it, are not interested. So i take my money elsewhere. I suggest you do the same.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »
These things are more luxury items than toys; the same could be said about LEGO, coincidentaly LEGO also has some LotR sets and they too cost about 10 € cents per brick which is really expensive.

There's alway eBay folks ;)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
my missus has got into lego instead of minis and its scary as it could get sucked up the hoover :o
she has the helms deep one and few smaller sets.
i maybe tempted when the thundercats ones appear  lol
i dont buy gw stuff new ,though i may have too for a project i will do when i have gone though my other stuff.
though there is places like wayland games that do it a bit cheaper.

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 12:45:01 PM »
I had a look at GW plastic imperial guard the other day. Made me feel like a bit of a cheapskate for thinking cheaper (and nicer) metal historicals were too expensive.
When the Imperial Guard first came out in plastic I thought they were bloody expensive.
Then GW split the box in half and raised the price.
Who else practically doubles the cost of miniatures *after* they have covered all the initial expenses?  lol

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »
The strange thing is that even though "GW prices are high" and "they're increasing" are among the oldest and best known pieces of not-news in this scene, they still manage to surprise me.

I confess I bought a few blisters from local shop's bargain bin last year...with a 11e price sticker right next to the original £3 from ten years ago. Has the inflation really been that high?