Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689773
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: sci fi jungle terrain  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: sci fi jungle terrain
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 10:22:14 AM »
It says:

"I made this stuff mostly using a variety of cheap plastic beads, and cheap plastic silverware. "
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 08:46:29 AM »
Sorry Majorsmith, I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread :( . Your terrain is beautiful  :)

Offline Deadspace1

• Assistant
    • Monsters and Machines
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »
Looks great man! The only thing I've been wondering is; is it possible to add a wash to the aquarium plants? I just think they still look a little 'plasticy' and a little bit of a tone down with washes may help. Or would the material of the plants just make the wash literally just 'wash' off?!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
Looks great man! The only thing I've been wondering is; is it possible to add a wash to the aquarium plants? I just think they still look a little 'plasticy' and a little bit of a tone down with washes may help. Or would the material of the plants just make the wash literally just 'wash' off?!

I don't know about the wash, but I have used drybrushing on plastic plants (kind of grass) with a sandy shade to break the uniformity of colour, take some of the shine, and give a 'dry' look, and the paint seems to stick OK.

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
I've primed aquarium plants with (Vallejo) acrylic primer and then totally repainted them.  That looked ok, but it was for display models so I can't vouch for its durability.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
I've noticed some craft store plants have applied paint that looks pretty good AND durable.

I was going to mention same, but think that plastic/shiny seems apropos for jungle plants. And, some desert plants, which are waxy to hold water.

Automobile plastic primer is one thing to check when painting hard-to-paint plastic, or so I hear.

Doug

Offline Andy H

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »

The best way I've found of painting aquarium plants is with Daler-Rowney 'System 3' acrylics. It dries to a flexible film, so won't go brittle and flake off.

Nice job on the OP! I love the shot of the Ambull creeping up on the nob  :)

Andy

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »
they aren't specifically sci fi, but i will be using them just for my 40k stuff, i did try a wash on a test plant, but i dont think the paint will stay on the plastic too well, even with oils, thanks for the comments guys and inso its cool man that was a great link!