Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:47:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193649 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Spiked Palus and Weapon Markers
« Reply #510 on: January 14, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
I have two sheets of adhesive labels with the BotS arena dice symbols printed on them. They're a little off register though, so one edge of the symbol is barely crossing the die cut. They are perfectly serviceable. Each sheet will do 26 dice. They're sized to fit these dice (also where I obtained the labels):

http://indentedblankdice.com/

I'll send a sheet to the first two people in the USA that could use them- I don't plan to make more dice and don't want to throw the labels in the trash.

PM your address and I'll get 'em to you.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #511 on: January 14, 2014, 11:00:50 PM »
Mathias,

Did you order dice from them?  I order their dice via Gamecrafter, but I wanted to order direct - the site just looks really shady (no contact info, no genuine webpage, etc.).  Are they legitimate?

They only have links to really old articles about them gearing up for business etc.  They good to go?

PS: pending Mr. Furts permission I can post a link to dice stickers for those same dice that I did up back when I started play-testing.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #512 on: January 14, 2014, 11:57:28 PM »
Yes, I did. No problems, shipped fast.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #513 on: January 15, 2014, 01:03:04 AM »
Hmmm, great to know.  I really wanted some of the obscure colours I can't find on other sites.  Excellent, thanks!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #514 on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:38 AM »
PS: pending Mr. Furts permission I can post a link to dice stickers for those same dice that I did up back when I started play-testing.

I think for the moment Elbows I'd rather keep the "official" BotS dice in circulation until I figure out how to tackle the whole dice thing. But as always thanks for your help mate.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #515 on: January 22, 2014, 09:40:16 AM »
Yep, no worries.  I just don't want to come off as someone jealously guarding my own fancy stickers!  lol  Any chance you could fund a large order of custom chessex dice or something similar?

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #516 on: January 22, 2014, 10:42:27 PM »
Yep, no worries.  I just don't want to come off as someone jealously guarding my own fancy stickers!  lol  Any chance you could fund a large order of custom chessex dice or something similar?

That could definitely be an option after the rules are released.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
The dice that Furt suggested in his instructions worked great for me, came in a bunch of colors and have a nice size to them.  I also like the recessed face.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #518 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »
Yep, I'm using the same.  Actually about to order a whole new set (going to geek out a bit on my BOTS dice and make four colour matched sets with matched D6's and bags...)  lol

I actually have loads of the indented dice and have used them for several gaming projects already (now that I think of it, I must have 100 of the damn things...and more on the way!) :D

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Next scheduled game this weekend!  AAR to follow!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #520 on: January 28, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »
I was supposed to have the next chapter in my campaign, but my brother bailed on me...twice in one weekend!  So, who knows.  I do have a bunch of new colour-matched BOTS dice and D6's coming in the mail though, so that's exciting.  lol

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Next scheduled game this weekend!  AAR to follow!
Don't jinx it  :o
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #522 on: February 03, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
I think TBC is still writing up the AAR, but sufficed to say I got slaughtered in both matched we did. The man rolled a 5 AND a 6 on his gladiator while I never got above 3. Still there were a few times I threw everything into a single desperate attack and for a moment it looked like I could have had him. Anyhow, details to come in the AAR, with a few pictures.

I must say this is the first one on one combat game I have read, and played, that feels right. Any hit can be lethal and random enough to keep you on your toes, yet at the same time there is enough control and choice that it always feels like "your fault" when you fail.

The arena did feel rather large and empty. I know there has been some discussion as to "terrain" but I would be very much in favour.

Lastly a question. If a gladiator is left handed, Scaeva, how does this effect his equipment and the hit location table? I would imagine him standing exactly mirrored to the normal table, but that would put the regular layout of armor on the wrong side. Does that then switch around as well, or would the rules of the arena not allow this. I'm curious to the historical president on this.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #523 on: February 03, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
I think TBC is still writing up the AAR, but sufficed to say I got slaughtered in both matched we did. The man rolled a 5 AND a 6 on his gladiator while I never got above 3. Still there were a few times I threw everything into a single desperate attack and for a moment it looked like I could have had him. Anyhow, details to come in the AAR, with a few pictures.

I must say this is the first one on one combat game I have read, and played, that feels right. Any hit can be lethal and random enough to keep you on your toes, yet at the same time there is enough control and choice that it always feels like "your fault" when you fail.

Looking forward to reading the AAR and I'm glad you liked BotS. I really like the description "your fault", as I often find myself fists clenched, cursing the fact I hadn't done that or this, after failing a certain tactic.

The arena did feel rather large and empty. I know there has been some discussion as to "terrain" but I would be very much in favour.

I do suggest a more compact arena that eliminates the need for "terrain". In the campaign game there is a chance to fight in an arena dotted with obstacles and fire pits, etc - unhistorical I'd say, but entertaining.

Lastly a question. If a gladiator is left handed, Scaeva, how does this effect his equipment and the hit location table? I would imagine him standing exactly mirrored to the normal table, but that would put the regular layout of armor on the wrong side. Does that then switch around as well, or would the rules of the arena not allow this. I'm curious to the historical president on this.

Yeah - this needs to be mentioned somewhere. Rules wise everything stays the same concerning hit location etc, we just assume that a scaeva gladiator puts his right arm/leg forward as opposed to his left.
Historically it was a big deal when a scaeva gladiator appeared, as such a combatant was advertised in the libellus gladiatorum. I can only assumed they allowed him to fight left handed, although I also assume the habit would have been quashed in the legions. In other words I have no idea.  :?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #524 on: February 03, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »
We'll be starting our second turn soon after finishing the paper work for the first turn tomorrow  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/