Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:58:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193457 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Bots Covers
« Reply #645 on: September 05, 2014, 08:11:07 AM »

It was a bit of a mismatch but it's the only way I can win  lol

cheers

James

lol

Nonsense, you do yourself an injustice, it was a display of skill, dexterity, superior training and some lucky dice rolls  ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #646 on: September 05, 2014, 03:55:15 PM »
Is the game going to come out this year? Any projections at all?

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #647 on: September 08, 2014, 01:51:42 AM »
Sorry I'm so late to these posts but somehow I missed it all!

Nice to see Nick and the lads bringing BotS out for a game, and Bibbles is still dominating the arena.  :)

I guess it has been some time since I said anything about BotS, but unfortunately the news is a little sour.

A month or so ago I was involved in talks with a well known wargaming company that had pretty much agreed to take on BotS, who then up and changed their minds. The amount of counters/sheets etc required to play the game, and the cost for producing said counters/sheets, was the apparent reason for the backflip, but they also decided they wanted to pursue their own gladiator game. I was totally gutted at the decision and remain pretty demoralized. Unfortunately this hasn't helped BotS see print.  :'(

At the moment I remain quite "burnt out" concerning BotS. I have been working on it for so long that it has been really crushing the enjoyment of the game for me and wargaming in general. I still intend on finishing it and seeing it in print somehow, but at the moment I really just need to pull myself out of this black hole. I am trying to game some other things and work on some new projects, to hopefully allow me to return to work on it.

Again thanks for everyone's continual support and interest - I really appreciate it.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Bots Covers
« Reply #648 on: September 08, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »
Sorry I'm so late to these posts but somehow I missed it all!

Nice to see Nick and the lads bringing BotS out for a game, and Bibbles is still dominating the arena.  :)

I guess it has been some time since I said anything about BotS, but unfortunately the news is a little sour.

A month or so ago I was involved in talks with a well known wargaming company that had pretty much agreed to take on BotS, who then up and changed their minds. The amount of counters/sheets etc required to play the game, and the cost for producing said counters/sheets, was the apparent reason for the backflip, but they also decided they wanted to pursue their own gladiator game. I was totally gutted at the decision and remain pretty demoralized. Unfortunately this hasn't helped BotS see print.  :'(

At the moment I remain quite "burnt out" concerning BotS. I have been working on it for so long that it has been really crushing the enjoyment of the game for me and wargaming in general. I still intend on finishing it and seeing it in print somehow, but at the moment I really just need to pull myself out of this black hole. I am trying to game some other things and work on some new projects, to hopefully allow me to return to work on it.

Again thanks for everyone's continual support and interest - I really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Mate.  I've been playing BoTS as a supplemental pickup game at my club over the last few months and in that time, i've cut down on the use of counters by almost half.  If you'd like me to PM you with the details of what I did, just let me know.  But I have to say, the more I've played it, and seen it played, the more convinced I am that it is a pure success.  Perhaps you didnt want to go that route if you could get a publishing deal, but thee really are a lack of gladitorial games on KS, legit ones or fantastic.  There have been one or two, but they seemed to be more focused on selling their minis than in selling their game.  Perhaps if you went a KS route and included paper models of gladiators to get people started, it would be a good way to make your game, and provide some sort of mini to get people started, but not have the hassle of also needing to commission your own line.

In any event, I'm pretty certain I speak for most of the people here, if you need feedback or advice, we're here!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #649 on: September 08, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
Sorry to hear that Frank, Keep the faith Matey ;)

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #650 on: September 08, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
Sorry for the setback Frank.
Keep trying for i know you will be succeeded in publishing them.
Looking forward for that.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #651 on: September 08, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »
Such a shame that all your hard work has not panned out...yet.  These are still the best Gladiator rules I have seen and I am sure that other companies will jump at the chance of publishing them.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #652 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »
Keep the faith Matey ;)

If you write it, we will play it  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #653 on: September 08, 2014, 04:52:44 PM »
I could live with it as an entirely digital print and play game. That wouldn't cost you anything, really. Otherwise, I'd go Kickstarter or just keep on pitching it until someone bites.

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #654 on: September 08, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »
Gaaasp !  >:(

I'm very sorry to hear that....Hope they'll bite the dust of the arena when you'll be published. They just didn't grasp the fact you've created the best gladiator fights simulation... :?

Everybody is not so blind !  ;)
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”Robert E. Howard, The Tower of The Elephant, 1933

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #655 on: September 09, 2014, 04:45:11 AM »
Sorry to hear about all the problems.
Went back a few days ago and read the whole thread again..
Game looks great. Got me started painting on my gladiators.
I know you really don't like the kick start idea.
So what other ways can the game be printed?
If you can and want to say, what is the cost of publishing the game?
I understand if you don't want to say what the cost maybe.
When it comes out, hope it sells like hotcakes and the "well known wargaming company"
can take a flying leap.
I am willing to throw in $100.00 no strings attached, to help you go forward, even if it does not get published.
Any other takers? Or does that sound like a kick starter?

Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #656 on: September 09, 2014, 04:58:44 AM »
Perhaps look at Lulu.com? My partner has published 2 books, one of poetry and the other of her early life in the Forest of Dean and they have been quite inexpensive. In fact, I think she is now in profit, thanks to some Lulu offers that made bulk purchases available. Her book was an A5 paperback, cost to her was $AUD 3.99, available at $AUD 8.99 plus post for anyone else. Your costs might be higher with more colour but not a lot, I imagine.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #657 on: September 09, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »
I've been talking to Furt on/off for...sheesh, maybe a year or two now.  I keep encouraging him as best I can!

I do think this game needs to happen, but I also suggested something as simple as a $9.95 PDF version.  If the production of a solid copy is too much to handle or too much money etc...we're gamers.  If we like a game, we'll play it.  I don't think too many people would say "pffft, I have to print sheets! NONSENSE!".

So, in some form or another I do hope BOTS emerges.  On the flip side, a KS would easily raise a good couple thousand ($10K-20K minimum I'd say...) and get you the stuff you need to maybe order a big batch from a small publisher, if that's the route you'd like to go.  It's good stuff, so we're all here to help back you on it.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #658 on: September 10, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »
BOTS would be one of the very few KS I would back.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #659 on: September 10, 2014, 01:32:37 PM »
BOTS would be one of the very few KS I would back.

Yep, definitely :)