Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63759 times)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Ral Partha Skeletons!]
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Thanks, Jevenkah and DeafNala. At 50 cents each, I wish I would have bought another handful! (But then again, I have a few sprues of the old Games Workshop plastic skeletons waiting on me to assemble them....)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Ral Partha Skeletons!]
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »
Here's the first freshly painted figures from that huge batch of Bob Olley Ral Partha Dwarves that I picked up a few weeks ago. They were so much fun to paint! I'm giving serious consideration to painting all 50 of 'em, so I can truly say that I have a fantasy "army" if someone ever asks. Currently my undead force is the closest I have to an "army"...probably 40-50 painted figures at this point. Just barely enough to play a typical game of Warhammer! But anyway, on to the dwarves!

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
You've got a magnificent collection here. Those Ral Partha are wonderful and Bob is still turning out great work.  I saw that you opened this thread with the Stonehaven Dwarfs. I got those as well and I really like them. I'm waiting to receive my Gnomes from their most recent Kickstarter. Did you get in on that one?

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Great looking dwarves, so full of charachter and charm.

Offline Imp522

• Scientist
They look good, Have around 100 of those to paint up. Have you seen the ram riders that go with the range?

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Love those dwarves! They are all sculpted by Bob except for the one on the right with the big pick axe; he is sculpted by Tom Meier.

Cool stuff,
 Damien

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Undead skeletons!]
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »
More adventurers! Here we have two very different versions of the classic D&D cleric. The guy on the left is a pudgy, barefoot holy man with a staff and a big book. You can't see it in the pic, but he has a mace slung on his back. I have no clue where this miniature came from...any ideas?

The barefoot cleric is from the Heritage Miniatures "Dungeon Dwellers" line.   ;)
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Nice updates.
I am loving this thread!
 :-*
The barefoot cleric is from the Heritage Miniatures "Dungeon Dwellers" line.   ;)

I been noticing a lot of those Heritage models were really cool sculpts!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Thanks for the sleuth-work to ID that cleric! He's been bugging me for years....

Here's a little update, in the form of a pair of skeletons I painted up to lead my undead hordes. I'm using Ral Partha, GW & Mantic skellies as core troops, so I'm always on the lookout for unique skeletons to serve as champions for my legions. The guy on the left is from Celtos (I think) and the guy on the right is from RAFM.

And continuing the undead theme, we have three wraiths from Reaper's Warlord range. Needless to say, these guys painted up quickly and simply in no time flat. In a pinch, these figures could serve as squad leaders for my skeletons hordes.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Love those dwarves! They are all sculpted by Bob except for the one on the right with the big pick axe; he is sculpted by Tom Meier.

Excellent, thanks! I am loving them too. So many interesting poses and expressions. I'll take a photo of the dwarves I've got left to paint...it's an imposing pile o' lead.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
But first, here's some more undead stuff! This is a lich lord from Reaper's Warlord line. He was among the very first undead figures I painted up when I started collecting this army a few years back. As such, he has hit the table in countless games, either leading my undead hordes or conspiring with my *other* undead leader (a vampire lord) in even larger games.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Cracking stuff! I'm really loving this thread.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Cool.
I always liked older versions of WFB where you just had undead, not split into two groups. Although the necromancer was probably one of the best characters in the game on a small base

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
Wow nice thread. Everything looks nice but particularly impressed with the undead. Love the wraiths and those quick-painted skellies look great. Inspired me to get a crack on with my fantasy stuff since I've only really done sci-fi for ages. Time to crack open the box of mantic ghouls I've had sitting around for nearly 2 years.  :D

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Cracking stuff! I'm really loving this thread.
Thank you! I'm still painting (and photographing) so I've got plenty of new stuff to get up here.

I always liked older versions of WFB where you just had undead, not split into two groups.

Me too! I never understood how undead got separated into "skeletons who live in pyramids in the desert" and "European vampire lords." Both of those genres sound awesome to me!

Wow nice thread. Everything looks nice but particularly impressed with the undead. Love the wraiths and those quick-painted skellies look great. Inspired me to get a crack on with my fantasy stuff since I've only really done sci-fi for ages. Time to crack open the box of mantic ghouls I've had sitting around for nearly 2 years.  :D

I have had generally positive experiences with Mantic's stuff so far. I have a few sprues of their ghouls and zombies waiting to be assembled and painted. So yes, join us here in the realms of fantasy!