Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:33:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A few bones to pick a Tomb Kings project  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
A few bones to pick a Tomb Kings project
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
I have been working on and off for the last 3 years on a Tomb King army mainly because I like the look of this undead horde. However I am moving them back onto their shelf to gain access to my work bench for another new project I can't seem to stop working on. I have come to the conclusion I have too many projects (no bones about it) and distractions like life. I did manage to take some pics of this army from beneath the sands. I am trying to paint the army as a whole instead of a unit at a time and nothing is completely done as yet. So I hope you enjoy them.
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
Re: A few bones to pick a Tomb Kings project
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »
More

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »
More

Offline 2ndhandwizard

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »
Nice beginnings. To bad it will be getting put back.

I have a similar problem with to many projects. I stopped buying entire armies after falling short on a very large Vostroyan army. Now I tend to keep my expectations much smaller.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:29:52 PM »
Painting a complete army would kill me. I'm way too impatient for that. So I can relate to putting it back into the shelf for now. But what you have done so far looks really good. Hopefully you won't give up on that army.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »
Some nice work has taken place here.
Looking forward to when you take it back out and continue.
 8)

What are you working on now that you cannot leave alone?
 ???

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 04:52:38 AM »
Thanks for the moral support here maybe that's what I need to finish this heap of bones.
I stopped buying entire armies after falling short on a very large Vostroyan army
What is a Vostroyan army?
Painting a complete army would kill me. I'm way too impatient for that.
I have a lot of armies but only my Wood Elves are completely painted at 6000 points. I painted them unit by unit. When I started the Tomb Kings I was priming them white as you can see on the Ushabti. However that was taking too much time and I switched to the base color "Camouflage khaki" This worked pretty well as the one skelly warrior pictured was based that way. I used a brown wash and a black wash on him then highlighted with Bleached bone. I like the result and will continue that for the rest of his mates. Later adding details with colors.
But what you have done so far looks really good. Hopefully you won't give up on that army.

Some nice work has taken place here. Looking forward to when you take it back out and continue.
Thanks for that. I will not give up on the bone brothers and may do some split time with them and my new project when I get bored with it.
What are you working on now that you cannot leave alone?

25mm Leading Edge Aliens here is a link
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=54420.0
So much to, do so little time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:58:10 AM by Miniman »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »
Have FUN with your new project. It won't take all that long to see it to completion...if any army is ever really completed.
Going back 30 something years to my days as a Historical Gamer, it wasn't considered a proper army until it was over 1,000 painted minis. In comparison, a couple hundred Fantasy Fellows doesn't seem so bad at all.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:10:05 AM »
it wasn't considered a proper army until it was over 1,000 painted minis. In comparison, a couple hundred Fantasy Fellows doesn't seem so bad at all.
Well said. However I have 6 other fantasy armies that need attention as well.
So much to do so little time.

Good news here I have pulled 3 units off the shelf to start back into this project.
Time to resurrect the dead. Any suggestions now is the time.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 04:38:21 AM »
I adore the elephant - is it custom?  I will say that the actual howdah doesn't seem the match the rest of the army.  It looks a bit Ork-ish or a bit too rough hewn compared to the nice brass work and chariots.

Overall pretty cool.  I've never been a Warhammer fantasy fan, but always had a soft spot in my heart for the Khemri style fellas.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »
Thanks Elbows. The elephant is actually a old Citadel War Mammoth that I will use as a War Sphinx. So far all I did was replace the crew with the crew from a GW War Sphinx. You are right about the howda looking primitive. It came with this old model and I really don't like the GW War Sphinx howda. However I could spruce it up a bit and add some brass work of my own. Good eye on that point. Thanks again.

Offline Hatemonger

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 07:33:15 AM »
Thanks Elbows. The elephant is actually a old Citadel War Mammoth that I will use as a War Sphinx. So far all I did was replace the crew with the crew from a GW War Sphinx. You are right about the howda looking primitive. It came with this old model and I really don't like the GW War Sphinx howda. However I could spruce it up a bit and add some brass work of my own. Good eye on that point. Thanks again.
Why not just use the chariots, then? Put two chariot baskets back to back. You can probably just order those parts from a bits seller.

- H8

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 03:55:28 AM »
Its been awhile however there is now some progress.
I just got this Reaper Mini and will use him as
Grand Hierophant Kahtep.

Worked on converting it by removing the ball and scratch built a scroll.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:16:37 AM by Miniman »

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »
High Queen Kahlida's command group

The archer on the left is just primed, the command models are washed with Devlin mud and the archer on the right has dry brushed bleached bone. Kahlida has only her first coat of a base coat Balthasar gold. She requires highlights yet of either Gehenna"s gold or Auric armour gold.

I would also like to point out that Grand Hierophant Kahtep has joined this unit and now is primed and washed, ready for dry brushing and details.

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
Some more progress
First worked on the gold finishes on the High Queen.
Also highlighted the sand.

Next Semi finished 4 of my Ushabti