Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:47:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690596
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Indoctri....letting my daughter learning the joy of tabletop gaming  (Read 10293 times)

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
I had to make a small combat run of the rules I´ve been scribbling down. But since I can´t stand playing without a story I had to create some pllace for all this to happen.

So the barony of Corragh. 50 years ago it lost "The fertile lands" to Orks and Goblins.

This battle is a small raid by the Orks on a Goblin camp situated in an old burned out Human farmstead. The objectives are taking the hill, taking the courtyard and killing the Goblin leader. In the end the Orcs where successfull.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:07:11 PM by Machinegunkelly »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: First playtest of my homemade rule set.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:39:40 AM »
A good backstory is always nice. Now tell us something about the rules, at least the general idea.
And  paint those gobbos!  ;)
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:21:49 AM »
Agree with Doomhippie, spill the beans on the rules and paint on the gobbos. Very nice map though! =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »
The map is very nice! I think you'd better paint the minis though, or you'll never hear the end of it! My personal soapbox is: More terrain! Those figs are too exposed..... Keep up the good work!

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:32:18 PM »
Thanks you all.

About the gobbos:

"I had to arm myself with a sword and torch in hand, descend into the perilous pit and slay the dragon. Severely burned and wounded,
 in the dragon hoard I found. Buried in a plastic ice cream box covered in dust.

My old Gobbos from way back when.

With trembling fingers I opened the lid to reveal the gobbos to the World once again.

Strucken I thought to myself, after all these years......yes, they still suck."

Sorry they wont be painted, they are just stand in during playtest while waiting for some new figures from Miriliton and foundry. :)

About the rules:
I plan to turn my random scribbeling on anything that constitute as paper to some more sane digital ranting, so you will just have to wait.

But the idea is small skirmish rules that lean on RPG gaming. And a round are made of different phases where each minitaure can act only in one phase. The phases are
1. Short range firing.
2. Movement and Close combat
3. Long range firing.

The idea with Dividing up the fire phase is that in reality they fire at the same time, but long range means the Arrows have been in the air longer and the enemy has moved (giving a penalty to the to hit value). But at the same time at short range you get a chance to fire at the enemy Before they charge.

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
The second try this time I my daughter wanted to try out and got to play Goblins.

The Goblins furied by the Orc attack decided to retaliate by slying the Orc banner bearer and Orc leader.

The Goblin Queen.

The goblin Queen after realising she had lost...

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Awesome! I hope your daughter enjoyed it despite her defeat.

Does she paint? If not, you could have her learn on the goblins while you're painting your new figures.

Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in seeing more battles!

Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I merely echo Jevenkah...I hope The Girl enjoyed the game AND that she lets her creative self go with some painting. Keep us updated as things develop.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
Just adding a small PDF describing the Barony and some of the characters within it.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. My daughter enjoyed the game and wants another go. Now I just have to tweak the rules we are using.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:03:33 PM by Machinegunkelly »

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
So today I really got to work on the minis for the humans. Here are a small sample. I´ve tried to do the rank and file very generic. I´ll let the leaders and banners tell what army they are meant to represent.

There is still some touching up to do, but as they are I am pleased. Not Eavy Metal standard but tabletop standard.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Once based up they'll look the part!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Nice background fluff - looking forward to seeing more on the actual rules.

Nothing wrong with the paintjobs of the minis - great for tabletop play. As mentioned above, finished bases will set them off nicely.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
Thanks both of you.

I have made the decision to quit my work on my own set of rules since it starts to become a more complicated ruleset. The initial though was a easy to play ruleset to introduce my daughter into tabletop wargaming. To that end I decided to go with Fantasywarrior with some small adjustments to fit into skirmish mode. This way when the story gets going and she is into the rules we can escalate the conflict to bigger battles with real units....

I still plan to scribble down my ruleset into a digital form, but it will just have to wait.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Sorry to hear you're putting your ruleset on hold. It sounds like you're doing it for good reasons right now, however. It's all about the fun! We've found Fantasy Warriors easy enough to learn, with nuances you can use as your opponent improves. My husband actually converted it to a d10 system for us, and made a 2-sided "Cheat sheet" we each keep in a page protector as we play. If you're interested I could post it.

The paints are looking great! I particularly like the tan colors on the archer. I have a real thing for brown. ;)

Jevenkah

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
Thank you Jevenkah. It would be very nice of you to post your husbands modifications of Fantasy warriors ruleset.