Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:50:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winter is coming! Undead WIP Blog  (Read 8160 times)

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
Winter is coming! Undead WIP Blog
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »
So as some of you know i've been buying up quite a large chunk of peoples spare Undead, and today i can show you the work so far.

Yes the photos could be better, but i'm lacking an auto focus or macro.

As you can see I've gone for a scheme much like Bug's for the dark and gritty feel, part of the reason for the scheme/snow bases is that my Wife is a massive Game of Thrones fan so the whole ''White Walkers'' look and scheme helped to sooth her after starting yet another Army/Warband.

Cheers and comments welcome, except for how poor the pictures are lol

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Winter is coming! Undead WIP Blog
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:23:24 PM »
I think they look good. But it's hard to tell...  :D
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:48:36 PM »
More Work (Better pictures, still not great though)

Cheers
Chico

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »
The Old Mostly Dead Guys look GREAT! I did that Vampire up a couple of times for my AD&D Group long ago...a very pleasant piece to paint. Keep up the FINE WORK!

There is an improvement in the photos. As a "dumb luck" photographer myself, I can only urge you to keep taking pics; eventually you'll hit on the right combination of things...I usually then forget what that combination was.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »
The Old Mostly Dead Guys look GREAT! I did that Vampire up a couple of times for my AD&D Group long ago...a very pleasant piece to paint. Keep up the FINE WORK!

There is an improvement in the photos. As a "dumb luck" photographer myself, I can only urge you to keep taking pics; eventually you'll hit on the right combination of things...I usually then forget what that combination was.

Thanks very much :)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »

A natural light, or artificial "daylight" lamp, a neutral background right behind the mini, and a macro camera (any digital camera with a "tulip" flower symbol on this will do the trick). Just switch the tulip mode, and if you respected the other things (light and background), the pics quality will be OK for sure ;)

If you're as concerned by the camera price and overall budget as I am, you can find a 3 or 5 megapixel resolution digital camera with macro mode for around 20-30euros (depanding the resolution), in any second hand store (like cash c*nverter in UK or France), including battery, charger and memory card. I know that because I bought a "new" one last year, after destroying my old one. I paid it around 35euros, it's an olympus 6megapixel Digital600 camera. AS you can see on my minis topics, the quality is really decent. ANd I'm far from being a pro photograph.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »
Update time, poor pictures again but these will do until the Wife lets me get a Cam.

7 Skeletons including a converted Harlequin/Black Tree Skeleton Champion/Wight

Full Unit so far:

Zombie Cav, It's a Grenadier Night Rider. I Have another 3 to do and a Zombie Rider from Second City Games

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »
Loving the colours you are using. I look forward to seeing more.

May be worth putting a desk lamp shining from the front if not two, when taking the piccies. Or try taking the pics a little further away and crop the picture - took me a while to figure that one out.
Have fun storming the castle! ...and that really isn't me you know...

Gothic Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55943.0 - although on pause atm as too much RL stuff getting in the way.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:02:39 PM »
Full Warband painted so far;

24 Skeletons under the command of The Wight Sir Boney the Black, Vampire ''The Rotten prince'' and a Liche known simply as ''The Forgotten'' Also finished is 2 Night Riders.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
More Undead finished:

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »
Lots of work on the Warband :)

Vampire, Liche, 32 Skeletons, Skeleton Ogre, Spirit Host, 6 Zombies, 5 Night Riders (Hex Wraiths)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:14:16 PM »
I am really enjoying the overall theme colours of this army, good stuff! Also, I really like seeing the old figs... brings me back.

One suggestion though, I'd much rather see focused pictures of distant miniatures than blurry pictures of zoomed-in miniatures. May I suggest that perhaps you could take pictures with the figures in focus from a distance, and then zoom in? Certainly some of your pictures are in focus, so I know you can do it :) Basically, you simply hold the camera far enough from the pictures, and then put the figures close to your backdrop, and presto, focused miniatures. Presuming your camera resolution isn't terrible you might be able to get some half-decent pictures that way! I used a non-macro camera for a while in the early days of posting pictures and I managed some non-terrible pics :)

Thanks
n.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:16:04 PM by Neldoreth »

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »
As for the pictures its a old 1.2 megapixal point and click, no zoom and no macro/auto focus. Its pretty much pot luck with how they come out.

If people don't happen to like the pictures that's fine i don't mind, they aren't forced to look at the thread :)

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »
Pretty cool from what i've seen. Natural daylight helps a lot I've found taking pics on a sunny day outside can help. :D

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 10:44:02 PM »
Nice, crisp, clear photos are highly overrated. I've found high definition cameras are diabolical entities that actually hate the minis, & will show up flaws that cannot be detected in real life. A slightly blurry image allows the viewers imagination to tweak the mini portrayed. With my imagination your minis become WONDROUS to behold, which I imagine they actually are.