Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691054
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The White Wolf Expedition  (Read 28062 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
The White Wolf Expedition
« on: May 10, 2008, 01:11:58 PM »
The White Wolf Expedition

In the early 1900's, rumors began to circulate among archaeological circles of sightings of a mysterious all female tribe, known as the White Wolves for the fur they wore, in the Lau Island Group of the Fiji islands.

Wild claims surrounding the tribe abounded.  Believed to be reclusive, the tribal clan was said to avoid all contact with modern man.  Stories of golden idols and pre-historic dinosaurs, for which the clan was believed to have tamed, merely added to the seemingly incredible tales coming out of the Pacific.

These rumors caught the interest of Hawaiian born American Hiram Bingham, renowned adventurer-discoverer of Machu Picchu. Bingham proposed and received backing for an expedition to seek out the White Wolf Clan from the National Geographic Society and U.S. Government.  Little did he know that as the White Wolf Expedition steamed into the Pacific, the British Empire, now at it's zenith, had also embarked on a similar venture.

Who would be the first to discover the White Wolf Clan and its treasures?

A Thrilling Expedition in the making...  :o
White Wolf Clubs

White Wolf Spears

White Wolf Archers

Hi all!

I'm a new guy not just to this forum (howdy to all!) but to adventure gaming as well.

The White Wolf Expedition is my first adventure project, and as such I am starting basically from scratch.  I have ordered a whole bunch of the "Pulp Figures" line and as I paint them up they will be appearing here.  Same goes for terrain... don't have any to fit this, so I'll be working on that as well and posting my progress as I go.

Must say, I am duly impressed with this forum, not just from a painting point of view (boy there sure are a lot of great painters around here  :o) but also from the members as well.  Seems a "Gentleman's Lounge.. What!"  :)

Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos (these are Shadowforge Tribals) and will follow my adventure into adventure gaming as I go along.

Cheers!

Ray Rivers

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: The White Wolf Expedition
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:41:10 PM »
As Hiram Bingham sat in his stateroom he pondered the significance of wolves on a Pacific island...

o_o

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »
Very nicely painted Ray. And only ever so slightly kitsch  ;)
The skin tones are really well done.
Personally, I'm not so keen on the big cartoony eyes, but these things are down to taste.
My cavemen would be happy to meet this clan for a, erm.. grapple...  lol

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »
Very nice skin. And lots of it, too  ;D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 05:45:39 PM »
Thanks Captain!

Actually, the reason I painted these figures was because I saw it as quite a challenge.  Never painted women mini's before, so you're comment concerning the skin tones is much appreciated.

Am looking forward to Shadowforge's upcoming release of Tribals on Dinosaurs... they will play a strong part in my upcoming adventure.  Until then, I've got a bunch of Brit's from Copplestone to go after and hopefully will soon receive a rather large order from Pulp Figures (U.S.Navy, heros, adventures, porters, etc.), which I hope to get rolling on soon.

As for your cavemen....  :o

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 05:49:39 PM »
Very nice skin. And lots of it, too  ;D

Thanks, mate.

Funny... the US Marines I have placed by them seemed to have somehow edged ever so slightly closer...

;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:38:48 PM »
Nude cavewomen, dinosours and pulp action! sign me up.
Sounds like you got a winner in the makeing dude
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »
Ah! The old "show them our boobies, then when they're all in a kerfuffle, riddle them with spears and arrows" ploy!

Works every time  lol

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17:47 PM »
Ah! The old "show them our boobies, then when they're all in a kerfuffle, riddle them with spears and arrows" ploy!

Ha!

Exactly!  I intend a couple special rules...

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 05:55:39 AM »
Awesome!

I have to admit, I like the look of the Shadowforge stuff. Their ¨Dark Temple¨ figures scream ¨Pulp Lost City¨ to me - but perhaps I shouldn´t give one of my planned projects away!  ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 09:38:16 AM »
I have to admit, I like the look of the Shadowforge stuff.

Obviously, so do I.  The anatomical sculpting is very nice, with smooth lines which make painting them to actually look like females, much easier.

The big criticism you read about the tribals focuses on the sculpting of the mouths.  The mouths are indeed, over-sculpted, so that if you use them as is, some of the figures have large round, open mouths.  On these figures, with mouths open wide and lips that are circular, I used my exacto knife to cut away the sides of both the upper and lower lip to give a more anatomically correct look.  On some figures, I cut away the entire upper lip.  Problem solved, with very little effort, and certainly, not IMO, worthy of dismissing, what are overall very fine figures.

I have been on the edge of buying the tribals for years, but when I saw they are preparing to release a set of Tribal Medium Cavalry mounted on Dinosaurs, it was the tipping point which got me to pull out my wallet.

The Dark Temple line, is another fascinating and well developed set of miniatures.  I have looked at them many times and wondered how I would paint them... which for me, is pretty remarkable as I am your basic historical gamer and have never painted fantasy figures.

A new line which has gotten my interest is the upcoming Temple of Light line.  Overall, I don't like the basic troops of this line, but the Preistess Guard Unit with either Horus or Anubis Helmets certainly has great potential for some potential future adventures.

Overall, I like the figures a lot.  Figuring out how to use them... that is a bit more difficult.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
The mouths are indeed, over-sculpted, so that if you use them as is, some of the figures have large round, open mouths.  On these figures, with mouths open wide and lips that are circular,

I don't know why, but this reminds me of something entirely unrelated to wargaming   :-X   lol

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »
The mouths are indeed, over-sculpted, so that if you use them as is, some of the figures have large round, open mouths.  On these figures, with mouths open wide and lips that are circular,

I don't know why, but this reminds me of something entirely unrelated to wargaming   :-X   lol

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing...   lol

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 12:40:14 PM »

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing...   lol

Good God!

Have I hijacked my own thread...   :o

Offline Snate56

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 03:03:06 AM »
Overall, I like the figures a lot.  Figuring out how to use them... that is a bit more difficult.

I'm thinking a Hollow Earth type adventure, '30s pulp, with nazis!
After the girls prove they are unmatched in hand to hand combat by capturing the party, the nazis show up, and they have machine guns...

SteveN