Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:25:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe Kitbash Suggestions Please!  (Read 12561 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Masters of the Universe Kitbash Suggestions Please!
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »

I am looking for suggestions for suitable 28mm heads to represent the core cast of the MotU show.  If you can think of a suitable head to represent one of the characters then please post below, ideally with a link and/or photo.  Thanks!

-----------------------------------

Inspired by obsidian3ds MotU thread I am considering a small He-Man skirmish project.  There are a couple of OOP ranges that feature suitable figures, but I am going to pretend that they dont exist and attempt to do this project on a small budget. 

The idea is to have a finished project of approximately 20 models that can be plonked on my existing wasteland terrain for some quick and hopefully thematic and fun games with the minimum of fuss.  A side project, not the focus of all of my hobby time for the next two years if you know what I mean.

If I dont get too stressed about exact matches for character outfits and focus on the right colour palettes and suitable heads and bionic arm or insect wings where necessary, then I think that the GW Marauduer box of sixteen figures should provide me with plenty of cheeseball muscleheads to work on.  Those models are relatively cheap, are plastic and easily converted a bit if necessary and have an appropriately goofy, action-figure sort of look.  Something about the majority of the models using the same "chassis" fits with the feel of the show and toys I think.

By way of example, this head from a Space Wolf sprue looks like the right sort of head to use for He-Man/Faker/Prince Adam.

So some more heads to suit the figures listed below are what I am looking for.  Any suggestions for heads for these guys would be great:

HE-MAN/FAKER/PRINCE ADAM - Space Wolf head
MAN-AT-ARMS
SKELETOR
BEAST MAN/MOSS MAN
MER-MAN/STINKOR
STRATOS
TRI-KLOPS
TRAP-JAW
MAN-E-FACES
BUZZ-OFF
FISTO
JITSU
WHIPLASH
CLAWFUL
WEBSTOR
MEKANECK

The following characters require an entire miniature rather than just a head.  Suggestions for these gladly accepted too:

ORKO - Heresy Miniatures
TEELA
EVIL-LYN
RAM-MAN - Mantic Dwarf
ZOAR
SCREEECH

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Masters of the Universe Kitbash Suggestions Please!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
For trap jaw, you might be able to locate a smallish orc head with metal jaw, or decapitate one of the old gorkamorka digganobs.

Perhaps use the old Grenadier mounted barbarians (now EM-4 or Mirliton) as a base for mounted He-man and Skeletor figures:

Maybe some the Hasslefree Taxxis figures can be a conversion base for Teela and Evil-lyn? They have that MOTU vibe at least.

And they also do these of course:

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »

Some great sugestions there White Knight, thanks!

For trap jaw, you might be able to locate a smallish orc head with metal jaw, or decapitate one of the old gorkamorka digganobs.

I have a Digganob, but I dont really want to cut him up.  I plan to have a root around in my ork box though.  There might be an iron gob or similar that can be quickly cut down to fit onto a helmeted head for Trap Jaw.

Perhaps use the old Grenadier mounted barbarians (now EM-4 or Mirliton) as a base for mounted He-man and Skeletor figures:

I plan to use that figure as is for a mounted He-Man.  I hadnt thought about using the same one for Panthor.  Good idea.  Mattel did it :)

Maybe some the Hasslefree Taxxis figures can be a conversion base for Teela and Evil-lyn? They have that MOTU vibe at least.

I have a staff wielding tribal priestess figure that was supplied free with a Foundry order many years ago that I have slated for Evil-lyn.  Its the same sort of scantily-clad vibe as Taxxis, but equally not quite as close as I would like.  But it will probably do.

Teelas cobra collar thing is harder to approximate.  I may have to grit my teeth and get the green stuff out for that.  The dragon helmeted Taxxis might be a decent enough chassis to build a Teela on.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »
I've acquired the MOTU "Minis" from Mattel for a MOTU Skirmish Game,though they're about 2.5-3 Inch in Size (6-8cm)  ::)

http://62.75.177.102/EvilHorde-s48h1-Mini-Figuren.htm

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:37:58 PM by Dr.Falkenhayn »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
Skeletor is an easy conversion after all. Lop off the head and replace with a hooded skull and it's mostly done.

The old wood elf hawk master's head might be a good base for the sorceress:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »
Maybe a mage knight steam horse (galeshi cavalryman) for stridor and night stalker?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
For Man-At-Arms (and possible royal guards), pig iron "HD.21 Near Future ballistic helmet sprues" options seem suitable:

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »

More great suggestions!  Thanks White Knight!

I havent seen those heads before, they look very suitable for Man-at-Arms (and Rogue Trooper style GIs too, but thats another days work).

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Maybe crooked dice ape heads for mossman/beast man?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
It's not quite the same, but closest I could find to Buzz-off is these Puppets war insectlike scifi heads (unless you want a nurgle fly head):

Another possible sorceress base would be a heroclix hawkgirl

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 12:52:29 PM »
How about the necromancer from the Hero Quest game as a basis for Skeletor?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Limaike

• Librarian
    • Trollwood
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »
I like Raging Heros minis for Evil-Lyn:

They do a whole bunch of cool evil-looking females.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
The suggestions are coming thinck and fast now, thanks everyone :)

The Puppets War heads are just about exactly how I think a Buzz Off head should look.  Well, exactly how they should look if they were reimagined and given a spit and polish.  They definitely make my shopping list (or trade list if anyone reading has any spare).

I have a hawgirl clix or two lying around.  The Sorceress isnt top of my list of MotU priorities, but if I have the right parts to hand then why not I guess.

That also got me thinking about the other Heroclix that I have knocking around.  Surely some DC or Marvel z-lister has a face thats passably similar to Beast-Man or Mer-Man or some of those other reprobates.  There are various bug men that might do for Webstor or Buzz Off for example.  I must have a dig through my 'clix.

I did a very quick paint job on the old Heroquest sorcerer a few years back.  I was going through a minimalist phase at the time, so excuse the crappy, shiny, dipped, speed-painted paint job.  It does illustrate that removing the "horns" and maybe adding a ram headed staff would do the trick though.  Not a bang on match, but instantly recognisable all the same.  I also have a spare unpainted version of the same model, so I am leaning towards using that.

That Raging Heroes Evil-Lyn looks very nice too.  Great sugestion, thanks  8)

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
the 5th edition soldiers of the empire plastic regiment had a head that would be perfect for fisto

just add a powerfist and bob's your uncle