Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 03:51:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742882 times)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8055 on: February 26, 2018, 07:02:38 AM »
I think I stopped reading White Dwarf because there wasn't any content.  I remember the earliest issues I read (around 100) when every issue had neat stuff to add to games.  I might have to take a look.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8056 on: February 26, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »
The new Age of sigmar ruins look very nice when put together.

Also it seems they are releasing a card tile sat similar to the 40k lunar battlescape they put out a few weeks back.
As someone who's always looking for a cheap and effective way to improve my grass mat battlefield but has no room for the sculpted table of my dreams, this could be fun!

Yeah, a double sided board. Looks quite nice. The new ruins look pretty handy but bear in mind that display board has some realmgates and other bits added to it.

From White Dwarf:

Also included in the box is a padlocked grill (leading to a mysterious dungeon, perhaps)

The same bits will be available just as a terrain set but I wondered whether that mention of a dungeon was a hint that people might want to use Warhammer Quest in conjunction with an AoS campaign. Not exactly rocket science I know but some folks need a little creative prod every now and again.

Warhammer World have a displays book out soon too. Only available at WW though so everyone get your moaning faces on.  :D

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #8057 on: February 26, 2018, 03:06:42 PM »
Oh..that books looks awesome, pity it can only be bought there  :(

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8058 on: February 26, 2018, 03:24:41 PM »
I suggested that they should do a nice gallery coffe table book a few months ago.

I doubt it's all my fault, but i'll take credit for that book! I just wish they'd launched it last week when i was there!

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8059 on: February 27, 2018, 04:48:43 PM »
This does use smaller teams. Pitch looks smaller but I'm not a BB aficionado so can't be sure on that. Never heard of Street Bowl. Was that a fan made thing?

Dungeon bowl, wasn't it?

Dungeon Bowl was excellent set, especially if made more maze-like with the additional corridors and rooms from the Advanced HQ game :)

Street Bowl had narrower pitch and only seven team members on the field (IIRC). The rules game in one of the versions of Living Rulebook, once again, IIRC. The idea of Street Bowl was as the name states, a BB game played by neighbourhood gangs/teams on the streets etc places and if one succeeded to advance one's players enough, they might make a cut into a real BB team :)

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #8060 on: February 27, 2018, 08:44:18 PM »
GW are awful for daring to put additional content for their games into White Dwarf. The way I'm forced to purchase their magazine and dig through back copies for additional rules and missions for games like Space Hulk, Lost Patrol and Warhammer Quest is despicable and something no one should be subjected to.

;)

Are we really at that point? Complaining about additional content that GW could have simply not bothered to put out at all? I know it's all about the piecemeal release of certain games and some people are all pissy about that but GW have always put new rules and content in White Dwarf. There's no pleasing some people.  ::)
Yes, but in the case of Necromunda I would argue that they have taken a full game and split it out, rather than adding to a full game. The WD genestealer rules could be excepted from this; my criticism is aimed more at the official release schedule.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #8061 on: February 28, 2018, 06:39:47 PM »
GW are awful for daring to put additional content for their games into White Dwarf. The way I'm forced to purchase their magazine and dig through back copies for additional rules and missions for games like Space Hulk, Lost Patrol and Warhammer Quest is despicable and something no one should be subjected to.

;)

Are we really at that point? Complaining about additional content that GW could have simply not bothered to put out at all? I know it's all about the piecemeal release of certain games and some people are all pissy about that but GW have always put new rules and content in White Dwarf. There's no pleasing some people.  ::)

Why don’t they just put them for download on the website? Easy free PDF, like they used to with necro stuff?

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8062 on: February 28, 2018, 07:51:28 PM »
Why don’t they just put them for download on the website? Easy free PDF, like they used to with necro stuff?

They're trying to sell a game? I'd assume that by the time GW put the original rules out as free PDFs the game was dead anyway. New game, new rules to some extent, they need to make money off it. I know AoS has a free rule set but that's a miniatures heavy game where most of the money will come from but Necromunda isn't going to shift anywhere near as many boxes of models per customer. Unless you're on about the Genestealer gang rules in which case they want to sell you a copy of White Dwarf (the bastards!  ;) ).

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8063 on: February 28, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
And how dare they launch a new magazine at £8 a month that gives you a new kit each issue and allows younger players to get into the hobby! The gouging bastards!

http://www.warhammer40000conquest.com/

(this looks awesome and i will be buying it. The LOTR partwork series got me into this hobby so anyone that calls this a bad move can suck the lead out of my dusty frodo.)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8064 on: February 28, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »
The first issue for £1.99 on it's own looks like a bargain from what you get with it.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #8065 on: February 28, 2018, 11:29:00 PM »
They're trying to sell a game? I'd assume that by the time GW put the original rules out as free PDFs the game was dead anyway. New game, new rules to some extent, they need to make money off it. I know AoS has a free rule set but that's a miniatures heavy game where most of the money will come from but Necromunda isn't going to shift anywhere near as many boxes of models per customer. Unless you're on about the Genestealer gang rules in which case they want to sell you a copy of White Dwarf (the bastards!  ;) ).

Rules in WD.

Fine, sell WD for the week it’s out (is it still weekly?) but then put them online for people to access.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8066 on: February 28, 2018, 11:55:26 PM »
Rules in WD.

Fine, sell WD for the week it’s out (is it still weekly?) but then put them online for people to access.

No, it's monthly and has been for over a year now.

But under your plan there's no reason for people to buy white dwarf. GW have a magazine expressly for these little rules tidbits and extra content. I pick up white dwarf partly for the hammerhal adventures despite not owning the game, because i can use them in other dungeon crawls.
if you don't want to pay for them GW really have very little obligation to give them to you.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8067 on: March 01, 2018, 07:06:36 AM »
These sorts of rules and extra fluff are the reason I used to buy WD in the first place. Saying that. I do hope they do a compendium.

Oh, and adding to this did GW bring out a rereleased version of the slaves to darkness book or warhammer world or something like that?

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8068 on: March 01, 2018, 09:02:44 AM »
Rules in WD.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do that later on. Of course they'd at least wait for the March issue to sell out fully first though.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #8069 on: March 01, 2018, 12:11:38 PM »
The first issue for £1.99 on it's own looks like a bargain from what you get with it.

Heck, issue 4 with six minis and some paint for £7.99 isn't a bad deal either!

Might pick a few of these up myself.

Edit - Is this out yet? I couldn't see a release date on the link. Only 80 parts mind! I wonder how popular the one with the free measuring sticks will be?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:14:52 PM by JollyBob »