Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 03:40:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742866 times)

Online Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #12465 on: February 03, 2024, 10:01:31 PM »
Amusingly I once tried ordering a 2nd edition Sisters of Battle Codex twice via Amazon.  Both times, they sent a 1990 Warhammer Fantasy Novel 'Plague Daemon' instead.

I assume this was an ISBN issue and they'd just been listing based off that.  The second time I was allowed to keep the novel and weirdly it was one of the best Warhammer novels I ever read.  Well before the "corporate" style books that followed.  It was an excellent stand alone grim fantasy novel.  Good stuff.

I seem to recall this being a fairly widespread issue - I've had friends have the exact same thing happen to them. My theory is that Amazon probably just had a listing for "Warhammer book" and no specifics so everyone got plague garden overstock.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12466 on: February 04, 2024, 12:14:01 AM »
Not sure, really.  The original Plague Daemon book was from 1990.  I found the Sisters of Battle Codex (2nd Edition) on Amazon in 2015 or so...so I figured it had to be too good to be true.  I actually wonder if it was just a re-used ISBN (if there is such a thing).

It's ISBN 10 is 1872372058, it's ISBN 13 is 9781872372051.

The Sister's Codex ISBN 10 is 1872372147....so close, but no cigar. :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12467 on: February 04, 2024, 07:28:05 AM »
I was once sent a polish version of the boardgame descent from Book Depository in the UK. They then sent me the correct English version so now I have twice the minis for it. I think I've played it once, lol.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12468 on: February 04, 2024, 08:42:53 AM »
I have a copy of the Khorne army list in German, but that's because I was daft and ordered the wrong version... ;D
Some years back however, my wife bought me a Forgeworld kit, and it never appeared; she contacted FW who replaced it. Some months later the original appeared, and we contacted FW to pay or send it back - but they were nice enough to tell us to keep it. As they were so nice, my wife later made another order, and the same happened again! It was not easy to tell them what happened the same time, but they once again insisted we keep it. Third time - and later - delivery was normal. But I was impressed by their quick and prompt and even generous response.  8)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12469 on: February 04, 2024, 03:30:04 PM »
Probably a hold over from when there were still Mail Order Trolls :)

I've ordered many times from them back in the day, often with very particular asks, and they always came through. I remember wanting a certain type of Fantasy bannerpole, but they came in assortments. I wanted 10 I think, but they ended up sending me like 30 bannerpoles. 10 of them were the ones I wanted, and the rest were assorted other ones. I think they just kept grabbing form the tray until they had 10 of the ones I requested, not bothering to throw the rest back.

We also once had a group buy that, when it arrived, contained several parts which we never ordered, and was missing several minor other bits. So we called and explained and they had no problem shipping out the order again. Which then arrived with the exact same contents, including the parts we never ordered.

Which is why, nigh twenty years after the fact, I still have two Bloodthirster Left Wings in my Lead Mountain lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12470 on: February 04, 2024, 03:46:08 PM »
Which is why, nigh twenty years after the fact, I still have two Bloodthirster Left Wings in my Lead Mountain lol

lol
This just gave me a laugh and a wave of nostalgia for their bitz service. Got so many useful Necromunda weapon sprues through that.

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #12471 on: February 04, 2024, 08:14:40 PM »
I have  an itching to re-do Mordhiem in a very GrimDark style, and was so taken with Radaku's Court and the Bonerattle skeletons that I actually bought e-bay'd some.

You can imagine my interest was piqued when the Old Worlds was resurrected. However, I was less pleased to see the old sprues - looking at you, Flagellants - reappear. The old-style Tomb Kings (that cavalry!) are definitely not my cup of tea.

I know it's a separate system, but these are vastly different from their rather impressive sculpts/style in amongst the AoS range.
I was surprised to see the Bretonnian Battle Pilgrims are a) rather nice and b) metal - but not that they are already out of stock...

Rambling. Sorry.

I did see they would release figures for the 'core' factions, and I assume the Empire is one of these.

Although I think I know the answer, anyone heard/fancy a guess if they will release new units, or are they just going to re-run the old sprues and have a sprinkling of new characters?

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12472 on: February 04, 2024, 09:01:57 PM »
I was less pleased to see the old sprues - looking at you, Flagellants - reappear.
SNIP
Although I think I know the answer, anyone heard/fancy a guess if they will release new units, or are they just going to re-run the old sprues and have a sprinkling of new characters?

The remarkable thing about the Flagellants is that they've never gone away. They must be one of the oldest kits on the GW website that have been constantly on sale since their creation. Truly ahead of its time, that sprue - it stands up really well even today.

In answer to your question, some new units have been promised, but I suspect they're most likely to be "flavour" units, e.g. an elite unit here and there, or a previously under-explored faction appearing as an allies-only contingent (similar to guilds in Necromunda - Kislev will be one of these I suspect). The bulk-of-the-ranks type units will I would guess be rereleases.

Offline Red Kop

• Bookworm
« Reply #12473 on: February 04, 2024, 09:19:51 PM »
Whilst Bretonnia got a new unit of knights on foot and the Tomb Kings got the new bone dragon, for most armies it all looks to be 98% old sculpts being released with a few new characters released in Forge World resin.

I'm an Orc and Goblin player and they are the next army shown to be released.

I had heard rumours a while back that a new boar chariot and a wyvern model with the option of a warboss or shaman mounted on it were in the works but all official material shows the old chariot and warboss on wyvern from 6th edition and they have said that the wyvern with shaman from 1993 is going to be available on a made to order basis but unfortunately for the O&G there is nothing brand new unit wise except for two characters - an Orc shaman and a Black Orc Warboss - everything else is old models coming back from back in the day.

A lot of the old stuff is going to be re-released in metal so it will certaintly feel like you are playing Warhammer back in the 90s/early 2000s if nothing else...  :)

I am assuming that most of the armies will be the same - which is okay in some ways to allow people to complete their old school collections but yes, some of the old models are certainly showing their age... I'm not against it personally but I've seen that this is a big issue for a lot of people looking at the game.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 09:22:10 PM by Red Kop »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12474 on: February 20, 2024, 09:00:47 AM »
I know we're nowhere near April Fool's Day, so presumably this is actually a thing ??? o_o ???

PowerWash Simulator Teams Up With Warhammer 40,000 for a Special DLC Pack

The Warhammer 40,000 Special Pack introduces players to a new dimension of gameplay within the PowerWash Simulator environment. Tasked with cleaning Imperial vehicles and machinery, players will dive into the rich lore of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, engaging with well-known machines and vehicles such as the Ultramarines Land Raider and the Blood Angels Thunderhawk, among others.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12475 on: February 20, 2024, 09:16:25 AM »
Powerwash simulator? lol lol

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel these days, aren't they? I usually postpone those chores till I really can't anymore (read: my wife orders me to go do them, but here they are offering a game that makes you clean stuff FOR FUN!

I'm sure it takes all sorts, but this is really daft to my eyes... ::)

However; when this turns out to be an actual thing, I do hope they will add the annointing rituals after the cleaning, or those Space Marine vehicles will never win another battle!

And now I'm curious if they will also include factions such as Orks or Nurgle... lol

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12476 on: February 20, 2024, 10:53:31 AM »
Surely the only way to clean anything Nurgle would be to burn it :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12477 on: February 20, 2024, 11:07:41 AM »
Oh yeah; a Kärcher won't cut that.

Cleanse it with fire!!  lol

Online Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12478 on: February 20, 2024, 05:55:45 PM »
Powerwash simulator? lol lol

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel these days, aren't they? I usually postpone those chores till I really can't anymore (read: my wife orders me to go do them, but here they are offering a game that makes you clean stuff FOR FUN!

I'm sure it takes all sorts, but this is really daft to my eyes... ::)

However; when this turns out to be an actual thing, I do hope they will add the annointing rituals after the cleaning, or those Space Marine vehicles will never win another battle!

And now I'm curious if they will also include factions such as Orks or Nurgle... lol

This and viscera clean up simulator were insanely popular - powerwash simulator is still massive with streamers since it's an easy game to chat over.
I imagine someone at GW realised that it's a great way to introduce the IP to a new audience of young folks

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12479 on: February 21, 2024, 03:41:45 AM »
 lol
Not for me thanks.
I got lawnmower simulater free in a humble bundle package and can't bring myself to install it on the computer. I really don't see the appeal to those sorts of games (Train simulator just makes me wonder what is the point to it, can't even turn left or right!)