Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:32:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733898 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3015 on: June 03, 2015, 03:45:24 PM »
Started off funny, but as it went on about various subjects it looked like this guy has a few issues of his own. ;D

Needs a bit of CBT.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3016 on: June 03, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »
Well, ironically, if GW were more up-front about their coming releases, their customers might be more inclined to wait for the official models. Of course, if they have no idea what might be coming or when, then you can't blame people for thinking "oh fuck it, I'll buy these other models now instead".
With their prices I need to plan/budget/save for my GW purchases ahead of time. If I don't know what is coming, I can't plan ahead for it, so won't buy it... As a result my money goes to other companies, who like their customers better than their secrets.  ;)

Heh, the ebay guy seems to be somewhat "retentive" in certain areas... lol

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3017 on: June 03, 2015, 08:30:26 PM »
Can't remember when I last bought a new non-discounted GW product (other than a pot of paint).

If I do, it will probably be the odd LotR minis needed to make a full unit for one of my GoB armies.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3018 on: June 06, 2015, 01:29:52 PM »
New Devastator squad is up.  The usual tale - looks nice, big price rise.  It does still look a good value set - lots of heavy weapons, combi-weapons, pistols and some close-combat weapons and extra bits.  Do like the bomb-carrying cherub.

The new battleforces are looking very sparse though - eleven minis and a Dread for £60?  Jog on...

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3019 on: June 06, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »
I should probably point out something that concerned me whilst at warhammer world. I noticed that some of the lizardmen were based on round bases. At the time, I brushed it off as some kind of artsy-fartsy thing, but included in the round-basers were temple guard.

Temple. Guard.

The kind of folks who don't tend to skirmish. With all this talk of the age of sigmar, it's got me a tad worried.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3020 on: June 06, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »
New Devastator squad is up.  The usual tale - looks nice, big price rise.  It does still look a good value set - lots of heavy weapons

I keep hearing complaints about the previous devastator kit containing just one of each type of heavy weapon. Does this one have multiples, then? (Sorry, too lazy to go look. :D )

I should probably point out something that concerned me whilst at warhammer world. I noticed that some of the lizardmen were based on round bases. At the time, I brushed it off as some kind of artsy-fartsy thing, but included in the round-basers were temple guard.

Temple. Guard.

The kind of folks who don't tend to skirmish. With all this talk of the age of sigmar, it's got me a tad worried.

That's been talked (and ranted) about at length, on Dakka. People still can't agree whether it's some studio guy's army based on rounds 'just cus'; based to switch between skirmish and battle modes that 9th might have, with War of the Ring style movement trays (a bit of wishlisting that somehow gained traction); or based up for a solely skirmish game that 9th might be.

The only thing that's certain is that nobody really knows until July.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3021 on: June 06, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »
I keep hearing complaints about the previous devastator kit containing just one of each type of heavy weapon. Does this one have multiples, then? (Sorry, too lazy to go look. :D )

Two each of apparently each type of heavy weapon, plus various combiwotsits and close combat weapons.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3022 on: June 06, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »

Two of all the big guns.  Pretty sure the previous one had two of most of the weapons?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3023 on: June 07, 2015, 12:42:58 AM »
Momotaro: I possibly misheard the exact numbers, but there was definitely grumbling about loadout limitations. If there's still only two each, then meh.

Love that franchise as I do they ALWAYS screw it up and the modders fix it and I suspect this will be no different.

The official product is a badly made barely playable mess that's left to some random fans to fix. Yup, sounds like a good match for GW. And, gotta be honest, almost as appealing.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3024 on: June 07, 2015, 07:43:10 AM »
That's been talked (and ranted) about at length, on Dakka. People still can't agree whether it's some studio guy's army based on rounds 'just cus'; based to switch between skirmish and battle modes that 9th might have, with War of the Ring style movement trays (a bit of wishlisting that somehow gained traction); or based up for a solely skirmish game that 9th might be.

The only thing that's certain is that nobody really knows until July.

If it was some studio guy's army, why would they put it in the gallery? It looked okay for the monsters and skinks, but seeing 'em on the guard just irks me irrationaly.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3025 on: June 07, 2015, 01:20:42 PM »
If it was some studio guy's army, why would they put it in the gallery?

I think someone with a bit of extra info said as much; not sure how much salt to take it with. But also, GW still has fans who think GW is concerned about pleasing them, and won't invalidate their huge unit-block collections or drop customers like a hot potato if they think they'll make more money some other way. They didn't like the implication from those lizardmen that WFB was moving to round-base skirmish.

That said, other fans liked the look so much that they considered switching their own lizardmen and things to 32mm round bases for square-block, big-battle Warhammer, despite the hefty in-game disadvantages. :)

So I guess the best you can say is that there's no accounting for taste. Though personally, I think it adds to the feeling that 9th ed better be something spectacular, or it risks killing off WFB altogether.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3026 on: June 07, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
I think someone with a bit of extra info said as much; not sure how much salt to take it with. But also, GW still has fans who think GW is concerned about pleasing them, and won't invalidate their huge unit-block collections or drop customers like a hot potato if they think they'll make more money some other way. They didn't like the implication from those lizardmen that WFB was moving to round-base skirmish.

That said, other fans liked the look so much that they considered switching their own lizardmen and things to 32mm round bases for square-block, big-battle Warhammer, despite the hefty in-game disadvantages. :)

So I guess the best you can say is that there's no accounting for taste. Though personally, I think it adds to the feeling that 9th ed better be something spectacular, or it risks killing off WFB altogether.

Agreed. Still, the fact that nothing else had a round base...probably not worth worrying about yet.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3027 on: June 08, 2015, 12:37:09 PM »
By now I'm so far past my gw phase that I can look at this as a fascinating but somewhat meaningless trivia. I mean I'm interested to see what happens but I don't particularly care that much. If anything I am just waiting for GW to make that big mistake they sooner or later will and the company to be saved by passionate fans who in their enthusiasm and inexperiance will usher in a new age of strange decicions.  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #3028 on: June 09, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
Well Age of Sigmar is now being advertised with nothing more than a preorder date and some cryptic verse.

That explains a plethora of recent FLG stores I know selling off all their Warhammer stock at 50% or more.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3029 on: June 09, 2015, 03:24:44 PM »
Well Age of Sigmar is now being advertised with nothing more than a preorder date and some cryptic verse.

Where? What? I usually get news the same time as everybody else around here, but that one slipped under my radar...  o_o