Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:04:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690521
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: alternative 10mm post-apoc cars  (Read 15864 times)

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: alternative 10mm post-apoc cars
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »
yeah been doing some googling today and still not sure I want to go to the Match Box or Hot Wheel cars... as they vary so much.  

I have found some 15mm scaled weapons on Shapeways that I'd be keen to buy. [not to expensive:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/955409/15mm-car-warriors-bundle.html?li=productBox-search

And found a site selling 100 N or HO scale cars for a very reasonable price.
But they are all the same style so not much variety.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/N-SCALE-100pcs-1-160-scale-model-car-CB160-3-for-scale-model-train-layout-N/566225981.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-pcs-HO-Scale-1-100-Model-Cars-layout-scene-/400113970992?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3154878145032600715%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D400113970992%26

I've Looked at GHQ N scale and they are not cheap. [and range is to small.]

@fastolfrus I'll pass its hard enough trying to find 10mm [1:160 or 1:150 annd N scale] let alone anything else...

really thought there would be more out there.

Also found this site:
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/antenocitis/g-o-t-vehicles-15mm-1.html

LGW

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 12:16:19 AM »
72nd scale, 20mm, HO, matchbox, hot wheels, all the same scale.  You can get slightly beefier cars with Jada or other brands, and the sky is practically the limit.  15mm is a little too small for 20mm/matchbox.  But you can just make a good deal of your own weapons from rod and putty.  Tons of examples on line.  Of Stand Johansen sells weapons packs predone in 20mm scale.

Hope this helps!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 01:01:10 AM »
thx Too Bo Coo will do some more research see what I find still got plenty of time to work things out the KS projects ends in 25 days time and I'll get the PDF rules in October.

Once I got them I can work out the Scale and some tiles depending on what I choose.

LGW

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
well I had a wet day stuck inside with two kids so we grabbed three hot wheels cars each and raided my bitz box..

I have 3 done for me, 3 for my Son and even my Daughter got three.

we had a blast sorting out the bitz

LGW

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
Hot Wheels is the way to go.... :)

And I forgot to answer your question, yes I like the trucks, but mostly the ones that look like real life vehicles over the bomber-canopy styled trucks.

Are these 10mm?

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
The DropZone Commander stuff is 10mm scale

I think I'll try and find the rules for Car Wars and see how they go. my Son has a carpet square in his room for his hot wheels that has a road and buildings on it.

Will be an easy set up and play on the lounge floor...

LGW

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »
use the 3rd edition car wars stuff. It worked so much better.

will make sure I find that copy..

LGW

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
If you go with Hot Wheels and similar, Jada have some pre-armed cars- Battle Machines: http://www.jadatoysinc.com/products?brand=Battle_Machines

If you can find them on ebay, there used to be a game called Krash by Cell Entertainment (link to BoardGameGeek page), the cars are roughly the same 'scale' as Hot Wheels etc. Cars came in several parts so you had to assemble & paint them, there were equipment packs (weapons, wheels etc) so you could eqip your car to taste. These bits would work well size wise.
I'll take a few pics & post them tomorrow.
sanity is for cowards

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »
@Ink the Troll

I have seen those Battle Machines not bad... I would have to buy off the internet no Walmart in my country [though we had heard rumours for years they are wanting to come to New Zealand]

Well I have primed up 9 post-apoc [Hot wheels] cars

Will take some pics latter tonight got to head off to Soccer end of season prize giving for my Daughter.

LGW

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
Well here is the work my kids and I did after raiding my Bitz box.

Front three are mine: "The Grey Skulls"
Corvette with two heavy flamers and a Machine gun on the roof.
Chevy truck with two Tank guns, infra red, radar,
Corvette with two missile launcher pods and two front machine guns and reinforced front.

middle row left to right:
My Daughter's: "The Pink Angels"
Car #1: side mounted Auttocannon, three Grenade Launchers on Roof, and nitro-boosters.
Ford Truck: Bull bar, Anti-Tank gun, Mortar, and rear facing Vulcan machine gun.
Camero: Side mounted Anti-tank gun,Heavy Laser on roof, Nitro-boosters

Next are my Sons "The Engineers"
Ford Shelby: two side mounted drum feed Tank guns, two light lasers, rear facing light laser. supped up engine, spot lights, radar, infra red,
Van: Turret mounted Tank gun, side mounted light lasers supped up engine, radar, infra red,
Camero: bonnet mounted Tank Gun, Supped up Engine, radar guided missile system.

last row: The two cars are going to be Corporate Vehicles protecting Transport trucks. 
67 Pontiac: side mounted heavy Laser, side mounted Auttocannon , spot light, radio, sensors.
Transport Truck #1 & #2: Front Roof Laser, Turret mounted Auttocannon, Rear facing Laser, Side mounted Vehicle Shotguns, Mine layer,
Dodge: Side mounted Heavy Laser, two front mounted machine guns, two bonnet mounted recoilless guns, spot light, sensors,

So a total of 13 vehicles made, Thinking I want to get some Hlicopters, and Bikes now... Hoping to find some to fit the scale... any ideas?
Time to go paint some cars.

Cheers
LGW

NB: have no idea if the weapon lay outs are correct or even legal it was what I had in my Bitz box and how the kids wanted their cars to look like. The wife wasn't to thrilled me using the kids Cars "you want to convert more BUY your own!!!" I smiled and "Yes dear."

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »
Wouldn't worry too much about layouts being legal, far more important that your kids & you have some fun.
For bikes- Hot Wheels have/ had some roughly 1:64 ones, if I remember correctly.

As I threatened to take some pics:

3rd from left & 2nd from right are from Krash, the rest are Matchbox & Hot Wheels with Krash bits (not glued on, as it's just meant to be a little size comparison).
If you can find them cheap somewhere, they're well worth buying- bit more on the blog, http://inkthetroll.blogspot.de/2013/09/krash-car-combat.html

Forgot to take a pic with a Jada Battle Machine, will do that later (had to buy the ones I got via the web as well).

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
Well here is the work my kids and I did after raiding my Bitz box.

Front three are mine: "The Grey Skulls"
Corvette with two heavy flamers and a Machine gun on the roof.
Chevy truck with two Tank guns, infra red, radar,
Corvette with two missile launcher pods and two front machine guns and reinforced front.

middle row left to right:
My Daughter's: "The Pink Angels"
Car #1: side mounted Auttocannon, three Grenade Launchers on Roof, and nitro-boosters.
Ford Truck: Bull bar, Anti-Tank gun, Mortar, and rear facing Vulcan machine gun.
Camero: Side mounted Anti-tank gun,Heavy Laser on roof, Nitro-boosters

Next are my Sons "The Engineers"
Ford Shelby: two side mounted drum feed Tank guns, two light lasers, rear facing light laser. supped up engine, spot lights, radar, infra red,
Van: Turret mounted Tank gun, side mounted light lasers supped up engine, radar, infra red,
Camero: bonnet mounted Tank Gun, Supped up Engine, radar guided missile system.

last row: The two cars are going to be Corporate Vehicles protecting Transport trucks. 
67 Pontiac: side mounted heavy Laser, side mounted Auttocannon , spot light, radio, sensors.
Transport Truck #1 & #2: Front Roof Laser, Turret mounted Auttocannon, Rear facing Laser, Side mounted Vehicle Shotguns, Mine layer,
Dodge: Side mounted Heavy Laser, two front mounted machine guns, two bonnet mounted recoilless guns, spot light, sensors,

So a total of 13 vehicles made, Thinking I want to get some Hlicopters, and Bikes now... Hoping to find some to fit the scale... any ideas?
Time to go paint some cars.

Cheers
LGW

NB: have no idea if the weapon lay outs are correct or even legal it was what I had in my Bitz box and how the kids wanted their cars to look like. The wife wasn't to thrilled me using the kids Cars "you want to convert more BUY your own!!!" I smiled and "Yes dear."

Mate, they look fantastic.  Really great stuff!  And the sky is the limit in this scale.  if you 'screw up' a car.... you lost $1.00.  Mess up a much tinier car from Road Kill, and you're already $10.00 in the bag, and cant buy the car without another $60.00 pack.  Matcbox/Hotwheels is the way to go!  (LOTS of other vendors BTW :) )

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »
@ink the troll
thx for the tips. How easy to learn is Krash? I liked the accessories be cool to find some of those as my Bitz box is not looking really sad.

@Too Bo Coo
A hot wheel here in New Zealand is around $2.99NZD trucks are a bit more and the big Rigs are $17NZD for one.

There is also Match Box but I prefer Hot wheels as does my son.

How may cars do you field in an average game of Car Wars? or is it on the $ amount of your total force?

Cheers
LGW

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »
For CW, I'd keep it simple and go one car per for your first few games.  I'd keep it very simple and just go light armor and 1 mg front and back each, that way you can get down the mechanics and such without worrying about more exotic items.  The game should be easy to pick up in a couple of plays. 

PLEASE, to save yourself grief, stay away from anything but the basic rules in the Compendium if you get that, at least to start. 

I'm not familiar with Krash itself, I just remember the bits were very expensive....

2,99?  I feel you!  I'm an expat American and I load up on cars when I go home because they're 1 dollar in the States and 3 here...  But still a heck of a lot cheaper than other lines!

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 01:14:43 PM »
its the kiwi dollar its sucks against pretty much any of the major countries.
Pounds is the killer its around $2.10NZD for $1GBP.

The thing that really kills most overseas orders for me [and that is including EvilBay] is the postage costs.
example nice Hot wheels truck $0.93USD current bid p&p to NZ $16.95USD WTF...its a small car it should cost that much.
but I live on the butt of the world what do you expect.

LGW