Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Walking dead 20mm Bat Rap  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
Walking dead 20mm Bat Rap
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »
Yesterday was my birthday and I enjoyed a miniature game with my daughter.
We decided to play this due to the 4th season "The Walking dead" premiering last night.
This was a forging party into the city scenario where we each had a group of 4 survivors who start at a random position and are looking for things to bring back to their respective camps.
The two groups are not necessarily friendly and do not know of each others presence at the start and both moving under stay sharp orders.
   My daughter (Erica) had Rick, Darryl, Andrea and T-dog from the series while I chose a new gang related group not from the series named Flash, Kansas, Matrix and Katfight. Both groups were armed similarly with exception of the crossbow Darryl had.
  We rolled a d10 to determine where each group started relating to 1-10 marked chips placed around the edges of the 3 x 4 foot board. The groups started on completely opposite sides and well out of LOS of each other. Of course Walkers were present all around. The 1st pic is the board setup taken during the middle of the game and the next two shows each group starting. Stay tuned more to come.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:08:16 AM by Miniman »
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Walking dead 20mm Bat Rap
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:21:14 AM »
What system did you guys use?  I game in 20mm also, I think it's a great scale and the old GW Dark Future minis are brilliant.  Where did you get the school buses?
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:11:55 AM »
@Too Bo Coo
We use a combination of Killzone, Akula's Total AR'SE and a lot of my own home grown stuff like how to start vehicles.
My group are all Dark future mini's and yes they are great at this scale.
I got the buses at Jewel Osco, Heh heh.

Erica's WD group all started at the 2 position and quickly started a nearby vehicle. The d6 of 6 represents the startup possibility that you must roll below in order to start it. Rick also moves in to a small building and finds a lead pipe.
Darryl takes shots at shamblers and silently kills a few.
My DF group rolled to start at the 9 position each quickly using both actions to run to the side of a Taxicab building avoiding the 2 hordes that blocked a more direct entry into the city block.

Next pics show the townhouses across the street from my DF group which they move into without firing shots that will attract more walkers. Katfight attacks the lone walker on the way killing him easily. They begin searching the buildings.
Meanwhile Erica's WD group in the vehicle seem to enjoy running over walkers the pic shows them speeding toward 5 that are in the way and killed but stop the vehicle. That does not bother them as they unload the stopped SUV on the next survivor move to enter the bar and grill, Andrea breaking down the rear door with her machete.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:28:50 AM by Miniman »

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:49:55 AM »
The green bingo chips you see scattered around are potential Zombie activation points. If within 10" of a survivor a card is draw revealing how many Zeds or maybe something else. Loud noise activate them at 20" so Shhhh be quite.

Next pics.
  1st pic My group searching the two town houses and Erica's group searching the Bar and grill next door. Both groups are still unaware of each other as they are inside the buildings and her group entered from doors in back while mine were in front. The white chip shows what floor they are on 1 chip first floor 2 second etc.
Flash is on the first floor and tried to secure the door but failed. We were worried about close by Zeds.
  2nd pic Erica's group has picked up Rick after he found a hand gun in a bar and grill and are driving in reverse towards the Belvediere Motel using a back ally. Of course they run over a few more walkers in the process not slowing them down this time.
  The third pic shows what happens when you try to run by the Zeds. Flash got tired of the town house and seeing the Armory across the street takes a chance to get to it. Katfight takes a position to cover him from the second floor but can't risk a shot. Flash is almost surrounded by walkers. After finding a few things the rest of the group move to the outside and Matrix tries to start the bus but it is not startable with a one rolled. What happens next is amazing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:54:31 AM by Miniman »

Offline Last Chancer

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 02:55:16 AM »
Excellent. Looking forward to more.

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 03:08:12 AM »
Last Chancer said "Excellent. Looking forward to more."
Thanks. This was a lot of fun. Now on to what happened next!

Erica's WD group reach the Motel with little problem driving like maniacs in reverse.
They use the fire escape to get to the second floor rear door. Darryl quietly shoots a few more walkers before joining the group in the motel. They begin searching and T-dog find 3 medical kits worth 10 pts each. The others find food and another hand gun.

As I said before Matrix's attempt to start the bus failed but not the ambulance next to it. Varrooomm it starts. Now I have a vehicle. But what happened to Flash?

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 03:34:40 AM »
  Incredibly Flash manages to fight off the Zombie horde with sure luck.
Of course the Zeds win the combat but fail to even wound him.
"No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck".

So Flash makes it to the door of the armory and again on a 4-6 d6 roll the lucky stiff is able to open it as it is not locked.
He then began to search the armory hoping to find an RPG or a machine gun. Hell a pipe bomb.
There is where his luck ends as he finds only ammo, a hand gun and 2 pocket knives.

This is where we ended the game and Erica's WD group tallied up 30 more points than my DF group could total.
Thus my daughter beat me in my house, with my scenario, using my miniatures and my rule system on my birthday.
It doesn't get any better than that does it.

Oh the last pic is the new gas station I just got this week and sure as sh%x we never made it to it. However it does have potential.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 04:22:36 AM »
Great stuff!  And...happy birthday.   :D
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
I forgot to ask, what line do you use for your zeds?  I see some Twilight Productions Zombies! minis, but the others?

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »
I have about 27 Elmhiem Zombies I just got a couple weeks ago primed grey. I intend on getting more someday.
The rest are 100 Bag of Zombies and 100 Bag of Babes. I painted 10 of those.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »
I glued my Zombies! to a strip, doing 20 at a time, and it took me about 2 weeks to knock out 300 figs. Not showroom mind you, but they look prety good for the table.  I also have the Elhiem figs, a great deal!

I play All Things Zombies, which also meshes quite well with their post-apoc game.  It can be played solo, competitively or co-op. Pretty interesting set of rules.  The great thing about zombie games, once you have the terrain and minis done, you can try lots of different rule sets!

Looking forward to following your project.  Have you seen mine?
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=54500.0

Offline Myrlyn

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »
Miniman:

Can you provide any details for the various building kits you are using on that gaming table?  I think I'd like to pick several of them up for myself.

Thanks,
Keith

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 12:33:05 AM »
@Too Bo Coo love your boards and the gritty ness. That is something I haven't gotten to yet but will someday.
Your DF figs look great. I have a lot of the ones you have as well.

@Myrlyn
The main buildings are mostly from DPM  and they sell new at about $20.00 each.
I got a good deal on e-bay with these 8 buildings for $43.00

Cutting's scissor Co.  DPM   10300
Good fellows Hall     DPM   10800
Kelly's Saloon   DPM   10100
B. Moore Catalog/Showroom  DPM   10140
Townhouse #2   DPM   11000
Townhouse #3   DPM   11100
City Cab Co. ?   DPM   11200
Engine House   Tyco   7781

I also had a Model power IRS building on fire (No 470) that you see in the pics That is a bit more pricey
The Motel is from Life like and the gas station is Plasticville

You can find more about how this all started here
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=38871.0
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:46:25 AM by Miniman »