Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spray priming at sub-zero temperatures!  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Spray priming at sub-zero temperatures!
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
I made this contraption today:

When I have added one of those flexible tubes also used for dryers, I should be able to spray minis in the conservatory at about 12 degrees Celsius, while it's much colder outside, leading out the fumes through a window. Hopefully...   lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Re: Spray priming at sub-zero temperatures!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »
I made this contraption today:

When I have added one of those flexible tubes also used for dryers, I should be able to spray minis in the conservatory at about 12 degrees Celsius, while it's much colder outside, leading out the fumes through a window. Hopefully...   lol

Smart! I built mine from a plastic packing box, with a 12V fan.

It only has two problems:the box is too small and the fan isn't powerful enough! lol

I think I might revisit the design based on this!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:22:14 AM »
Nice!

Being Canadian, and having lived even north of 55, I never really had a problem with spray priming outside with cans. Just quick trips!

Now, I use an airbrush and Vallejo - a plastic tub catches overspray. So much easier.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:30:01 AM »
Nice!

Being Canadian, and having lived even north of 55, I never really had a problem with spray priming outside with cans. Just quick trips!

Now, I use an airbrush and Vallejo - a plastic tub catches overspray. So much easier.

I have had problems with temperatures below 5 degrees Celsius. Running paint.

If it's too hot, the paint seem to dry before hitting the minis, resulting in a rough surface.

Both problems MAY be related to a high realtive air humidity here in Denmark, Whatever the reason, I hope to have solved my winter problems, now.  :)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »
Argonor, don't underestimate the effect of humidity. Blooming in paint is a curse when it's damp!

Offline bbtoys333

• Assistant
    • bbtoyshobbies
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:46:14 PM »
Smart! I built mine from a plastic packing box, with a 12V fan.

It only has two problems:the box is too small and the fan isn't powerful enough! lol

I think I might revisit the design based on this!

Please be careful and do check the fan that you are using esp. if you use enamel or other solvent paints. Ordinary/household fan mechanisms are not designed to handle solvent fumes and a bit of build-up + sparks can result in a fire.  Sorry if am beginning to sound like a Health and Safety inspector.

If I recall correctly there is a nice thread on Armorama.com going a few years back on how to make a good spray box. I ended up buying one myself (Paasche) because of the fan concern.
hello all... my hobby blog (below) has been dormant for a while but I hope to post to it again soon.

http://bbtoyshobbies.blogspot.com/

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »
Please be careful and do check the fan that you are using esp. if you use enamel or other solvent paints. Ordinary/household fan mechanisms are not designed to handle solvent fumes and a bit of build-up + sparks can result in a fire.  Sorry if am beginning to sound like a Health and Safety inspector.

None taken. Part of my work role is H&S too, so I have no problems with good advice, and yours regarding flammable solvent vapours is VERY good. With acrylics the fire problem doesn't arise - fortunately.

If I recall correctly there is a nice thread on Armorama.com going a few years back on how to make a good spray box. I ended up buying one myself (Paasche) because of the fan concern.

I just bodged mine up from what I had to hand! Provided I can determine the risk is properly managed, the last thing I will do is spend money! lol

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
Being Canadian, and having lived even north of 55, I never really had a problem with spray priming outside with cans.

There is something south of 55? What is this crazy talk? :o