Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules suitable for Western "Battles"?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Rules suitable for Western "Battles"?
« on: December 15, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »
All,
      Following on Fifteensaway's Skirmish discussion, I have a question for the group.  I really enjoy Western games at the skirmish level, there is great re-playability and room for changes based on research. However, since I have somewhere close to 100 figures, say 85 armed men, I'd like to be able to play out the larger actions that occurred in conflicts like the Johnson, Lincoln and Mason County Wars.
      I figure that I could probably do a modification of The Sword and the Flame.  However, if anyone has suggestions, I am open to hearing them.
                                                      Nick

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Rules suitable for Western "Battles"?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:51:05 AM »
There is part of the problem to the earlier thread.  No suitable rules seem to be out there.  They may be out there but I have not found them yet...

Edit: I find TSATF to lack severely when you get to melee to the point that it ruins the game for me. There are a few other mechanics I think are "kludgy" at best also.  I only play TSATF games presented by a few fellow war gamers locally and have sold off all my TSATF rules from early sets on.  From TMP (outdated now) "... Current edition published by And That's The Way It Was... "Revision 1" (second printing) 1984 by Greenfield Hobby Distributors. First edition published 1979 by Yaquinto Publications..." means I started with "Revision 1" and it was the latest/greatest in out local group using first edition rules when I brought to the club.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 01:56:29 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline scouts19508

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 03:53:17 AM »
You could use Too Fat Lardies: Terrible Sharp Sword it's a supplement for Sharp Practice. Of course you have to like TFL style of games. Brother Against Brother ACW rules if you can find them.

Jim

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
LOTOW's Frontier supplement has rules for larger-scale games, but you're still only looking at around 30 models per side for an optimum game (you can play larger games than that, but it starts to slow down the more models you have, as it's primarily a skirmish system with bolt-ons).

The Alamo supplement is purely for massed battles, but then you're looking at large units rather than individual models, which might not work for what you're suggesting. If you limit all of the units to skirmishers, you could probably make it work.

Overall though, I'll add to the general consensus - the wild west doesn't generally lend itself 'mechanically' to large scale battles. Those battles amount to large numbers of individuals banding together to fight, and is really difficult to represent in a tabletop game without resorting to units, coherency, command radii, etc., which all break the feel of the setting.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
You could use Too Fat Lardies: Terrible Sharp Sword it's a supplement for Sharp Practice. Of course you have to like TFL style of games. Brother Against Brother ACW rules if you can find them.

Jim

I thought BaB and TSS were more skirmishy? (is that a real word?) but glad to know they handle (small?) battles too.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:54:04 AM »
LOTOW's Frontier supplement has rules for larger-scale games, but you're still only looking at around 30 models per side for an optimum game (you can play larger games than that, but it starts to slow down the more models you have, as it's primarily a skirmish system with bolt-ons).

The Alamo supplement is purely for massed battles, but then you're looking at large units rather than individual models, which might not work for what you're suggesting. If you limit all of the units to skirmishers, you could probably make it work.

Overall though, I'll add to the general consensus - the wild west doesn't generally lend itself 'mechanically' to large scale battles. Those battles amount to large numbers of individuals banding together to fight, and is really difficult to represent in a tabletop game without resorting to units, coherency, command radii, etc., which all break the feel of the setting.

It seems there are lots of mass battle/unit based - stands rules for really large battles, (which I will arbitrarily define as more than 100 figures for discussion,) and many, many "skirmish like" rules, (where forces are usually figure single based and generally run from 1 (RPGs) to a couple of dozen figures.)  Smaller battles are harder to represent it seems.

And yes, it is somewhat out of character in the minds of many people for "battle rules" in the Old West games.  Yet many of the Indian wars had instances of large groups of warriors/soldiers/civilians "on the ground" such as Greasy Grass. 

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »
If you can find them, Greg Novaks' Pony Wars is a great set of rules for larger games between Indians and US Cavalry. We used to have 100+ figures on the table in 15mm.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »
Let me clarify.  What I'm talking about, are range wars, feuds, and the like, with more than 5 but less than 30 figures per side.  I'd want a set that allows for figures to be differently armed, but with the same quality in each group.

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »
Old Glory/West Wind has a set of rules called Cowboy Wars, which uses a quality die system.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »
Hey Nick, I think you're on the Fistful of Lead group. PM me, we've used FfoL at larger scales with some success.
-J

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 07:02:30 PM »
Jaye,
         PM sent.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »
...and responded to. Hope you like 'em.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »
Nick, after your clarification I'd say that the 'competitive play' rules in the Frontier supplement for LOTOW are therefore ideal. I misunderstood and thought you were looking for upwards of 100 figs.