Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:27:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689755
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules  (Read 48417 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:50:05 AM »
Lead Adventure Forum proudly presents

This year, the Lead Painters' League will be held for the eighth time. In previous seasons, we amended and changed some of the rules to suit changing requirements, and accordingly, the rules grew in size and maybe lost clarity. To counter this trend, we have decided to re-launch the format with a revamped, simplified and straightened version of the rules (my special thanks to Westfalia Chris for his great editorial work).

The basic rules still apply, i.e. paint at least 5 figures as a team, take a pic, resize the pic to a maximum of 800x800 pixels and send it in. Still, there are some aspects that require special clarification.

Lead Painters League 8 Rules

1. Duration

The Lead Painters' League is commonly held once a year and consists of exactly 10 rounds, with each round taking a week of real time.

2. Number of Participants

The maximum number of participants is 50.

3. Entry Requirements

In order to qualify for participation in the league, you must submit at least three new teams (to be featured in the first three rounds) by a specified deadline. See below for the current league season's deadlines. Admission is organised on a first-come, first-served basis, i.e. the first 50 people to submit three painted teams will participate.

- You may not enter your LPL8 registration pictures before Monday 17th March, 19.00 pm GMT. Any earlier entries won't be accepted.
   - The deadline for the first round is Saturday 22nd March 2014, 12.00 noon GMT. Remember, you must submit THREE teams by this date.
   - You MUST specify which of these THREE teams is to participate in the first round, which in the second, and which in the third.

4. Teams

A "team" consists of 5 or more fully-painted miniatures.

A "new team" is a set of painted figures photos of which have NOT previously been published ANYWHERE on the Internet (this only applies to the painted state, of course).

All figures must be mounted on finished bases, which may be textured, painted (with a pattern or in a solid, finished single colour) or consist of clear plastic (such as "flying" bases or clear acrylic/perspex shapes).

The figures must form a convincing team by following a common theme AND being "on the same side" within the theme - thus, for example, 2 Vampires and 3 Witch Hunters do NOT form a legal team, whereas 5 Woodland Indians do.

Figures mounted on steeds of any kind (horses, lizards, pigs, motorcycles, squigs or space hoppers) count as a single figure. Larger beasts or vehicles, such as elephants and trucks, count as a single figure with their mahouts or drivers; any extra figures such as howdah fighting crew and passengers are counted separately.

5. Team Photographs

You submit a single photograph of the figures in the team, which may NOT be a collage/composite of individual images.

The maximum image dimensions are 800 pixels wide by 800 pixels high. The maximum file size is 500kb (due to technical limitations and to reduce load time for slower internet connections).

You may NOT use any kind of digital manipulation except for basic correction of white balance, colour balance, sharpness, lightness and contrast.

The following modifications are expressly FORBIDDEN:

• Any text
  • Any special effect (e.g. glow effects, artificial shadows, coloured outlines)
  • Additional close-ups
  • Alternative viewing angles
  • Digitally-added background imagery
  • Any kind of frames

The above list is NOT comprehensive. Basically, any modification that goes beyond making the picture representative of the actual figures (see above) is forbidden.

6. Photography Backgrounds

Your photo backdrop may be a single colour, a gradient, or a scenery setting including terrain pieces. Note that the backdrop must be in the photo from the start (i.e. you must photograph the figures in front of it), you may not add it digitally at a later point.

7. Submitting Photographs

When submitting photographs, the following details must be supplied in the text body of the e-mail:

• Team Name: to a maximum length of 30 characters (including additional information such as "decals used" or "xx mm scale".
  • Member Name: even if it is for the last round of the league, always remember to add your forum username to ease administration and avoid mix-ups.
  • Declare if the team is new (see 3. above).

To help us with administration, please also put your user name, team name and intended round in the mail header  (e.g. "SamSamplename Crusader_Cavalry  Round 2" and, if possible, in the file name (e.g. "SamSamplename_crusader_cavalry_rd2.jpg"). This is useful for keeping track, especially for larger number of participants. Further details as specified under 7.a. need only be put in the text body.

Matches

8. Match pairings

In each round, participants' teams will be paired off in one topic for each pairing. LAF members may vote for either of the two teams. Each user has a single vote.

9. Winning, drawing and losing

If the vote difference is 11 votes or more, the team with the higher number of votes is declared the winner and receives 30 match points. The team with the lower number of votes is the loser and receives 10 match points.

If the vote difference is 10 votes or less, the match is declared a draw and both teams are awarded 20 match points.

10. Bonus points

• For every full 50 votes received, a team is awarded 1 vote bonus point.
  • In rounds 4 through 10, any new (i.e. unpublished, cf. 3 above) team will receive 10 points the first time it participates. Older, already published teams may also be submitted to participate, but will not receive this bonus.

11. Bonus Rounds

Rounds 1, 5 and 10 are bonus rounds featuring a specific theme. See below for the specific themes of this year's season. If you submit a new team for a bonus round that matches the bonus round's theme, your team receives an extra theme round bonus as specified below in addition to the 10 point "new team" bonus.

This year, the specific bonus themes are:

Round 1 - The Realms of Fantasy

Anything that is demonstrably "classic fantasy", including, but not limited to, the Hyborian Age, Dungeons and Dragons, Tolkien, Warhammer etc. This explicitly EXCLUDES "fantasy" themes set in the modern world, e.g. Harry Potter or Twilight.

• Paint a fantasy-themed team of at least 5 figures and receive an extra 10 points.

Round 5 - The Ancient World

This includes everything from the dawn of civilization, such as Sumerians or Egyptians, to the Fall of Rome in the West and the beginning of the "Dark Ages". Note that this does NOT include either pre-history or ancient mythology - for example, Myceneans would be acceptable, whereas Argonauts or a gang of naughty Neanderthals would NOT be.

• Paint an ancient-themed team of at least 5 figures and receive an extra 10 points.

Round 10 - The War to end all Wars

This year being the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the first World War, the final round follows this topic. You may choose any period and theatre during the war, any setting, any scale.

• Paint a WW1-themed team of at least 5 figures and receive an extra 10 points.
  • Paint a WW1-themed team (5+ figures) AND a "big thing", such as a Big Bertha, a MkIV or a St. Chamond tank, and receive an extra 15 points.

12. Unfair Means

During any round in which a team is participating in a match, you may NOT post images of the team elsewhere on the internet or ask other people to vote in your favour - it is unsporting and not the conduct of gentlemen.

13. Bonus Awards Points

These bonus points could be collected during the Season 8:

Round 1  - 10 pts theme bonus "The Realms of Fantasy"
Round 2  - no bonus
Round 3  - no bonus
Round 4  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 5  - 10 pts new bonus, 10 pts theme bonus "The Ancient World"
Round 6  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 7  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 8  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 9  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 10 - 10 pts new bonus, 10/15 pts theme bonus "The War to end all Wars"

14. The Championship Title

After the final round of the league (round 10), the winner will be the participant who collected the greatest number of League Points. Should two participants have scored an equal number of League Points, we will hold ‘paint-offs’ - but probably this will not be necessary.

The first three places will be awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze status and will receive a special notation to their LAF account and post info.

15. Timings, Registration and Deadlines

The first round of the eight season will start on Sunday 23rd March, 2014.

Entries to any round must be received by 12.00 GMT on the Saturday before the next round opens on Sunday / Monday.

Which means that you have to get your first three entries in at lpl@leadadventureforum.com until 12.00 GMT on Saturday 22nd March.

The deadlines for Season Eight will be as follows:

Round 1  - Saturday 22nd March
Round 2  - Saturday 22nd March
Round 3  - Saturday 22nd March
Round 4  - Saturday 12th April
Round 5  - Saturday 19th April
Round 6  - Saturday 26th April
Round 7  - Saturday 3rd May
Round 8  - Saturday 10th May
Round 9  - Saturday 17th May
Round 10 - Saturday 24th May

PLEASE USE THIS RULES THREAD ONLY FOR QUESTIONS OR CLARIFICATIONS ON THE RULES.
FOR GENERAL COMMENT ON LPL8, PLEASE USE THE GENERAL LPL8 THREAD:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63101
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:58:13 PM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »
section 13 says "season 7".

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »
section 13 says "season 7".

Fixed, thanks!

Offline eluczaj

• Student
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »
#7 above says: Declare if the team is newly-painted (see 3. above).
but #3 discusses initial submissions and does not mention newly-painted.  #4 defines a "new team"  but does not define "newly-painted".  It is unclear if "new team" is synonymous with "newly-painted". 

As a result, it is not clear in #13 Bonus awards points if the newly-painted bonus refers to the "new team" definition or if it means something else like that the figures have been painted since the contest began.  If this were the case, is "new team" a requirement that -all- teams submitted must be "set of painted figures photos of which have NOT previously been published ANYWHERE on the Internet"?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »
#7 above says: Declare if the team is newly-painted (see 3. above).
but #3 discusses initial submissions and does not mention newly-painted.  #4 defines a "new team"  but does not define "newly-painted".  It is unclear if "new team" is synonymous with "newly-painted". 

As a result, it is not clear in #13 Bonus awards points if the newly-painted bonus refers to the "new team" definition or if it means something else like that the figures have been painted since the contest began.  If this were the case, is "new team" a requirement that -all- teams submitted must be "set of painted figures photos of which have NOT previously been published ANYWHERE on the Internet"?

Thanks for the hint, you're right, it's confusing. We did call the newly-painted by custom. I've changed all the "newly-painted" to "new".

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
It appears that this year all bonus rounds are "single-sided", unlike in previous years when there have been "opposed" double-team rounds for extra points. However, the examples given in "Round 5 - The Ancient World" hint at the latter format of two teams at once. Main rules forbid including adversaries in single teams as usual. So, is there a second-team option missing from Round 5 or should its examples be simplified to the single-team format?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
It appears that this year all bonus rounds are "single-sided", unlike in previous years when there have been "opposed" double-team rounds for extra points. However, the examples given in "Round 5 - The Ancient World" hint at the latter format of two teams at once. Main rules forbid including adversaries in single teams as usual. So, is there a second-team option missing from Round 5 or should its examples be simplified to the single-team format?

Different than originally planned we have cut the second teams out of the bonus rounds, just to lower the stress level and to avoid the problem of necessity for show a lot of figures on a single shot. The example has been written before this alteration in the rules. I agree, it's better to simplify the examples. Already done.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »
Round 1 - The Realms of Fantasy

Anything that is demonstrably "classic fantasy", including, but not limited to, the Hyborian Age, Dungeons and Dragons, Tolkien, Warhammer etc. This explicitly EXCLUDES "fantasy" themes set in the modern world, e.g. Harry Potter or Twilight.

Q.  Could this include miniatures from the Celtos range?
Q.  Could this include Copplestone 15mm Barbarians?

Round 5 - The Ancient World

This includes everything from the dawn of civilization, such as Sumerians or Egyptians, to the Fall of Rome in the West and the beginning of the "Dark Ages". Note that this does NOT include either pre-history or ancient mythology - for example, Myceneans would be acceptable, whereas Argonauts or a gang of naughty Neanderthals would NOT be.

Q.  Wargods of Olympus - Spartans and Mycenaeans acceptable?  (Obviously NOT the Mythology figures, but "humans.")
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:06:32 PM by Orctrader »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »
Q.  Could this include miniatures from the Celtos range?
Q.  Could this include Copplestone 15mm Barbarians?

Yes for both.

Q.  Wargods of Olympus - Spartans and Mycenaeans acceptable?  (Obviously NOT the Mythology figures, but "humans.")

Hmm..a bit too fantasy but let me talk to other LPL moderation guys. I'll get back to you.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 10:25:48 PM »
If it helps, I have happily mixed Wargods Mycenaeans in w/ my Foundry minis, and they don't look out of place at all. Different take on the look of the armour and weapons, but not all that far removed.

Offline wolfie907

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 02:50:42 AM »
are amazons acceptable for a round 5 entry

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 02:57:15 AM »
Quick question about rule #12: Is it true that you can't ask anyone to vote for you at all? I have no problem with the rule regarding posting images elsewhere, but I'd like clarification on the asking people to vote rules. For example, could I post somewhere "I'm in the Lead Painter's League competition, here's a link, please go vote!"? Is that fine as long as I don't put a "for me" at the end?

Thanks
n

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 03:00:57 AM »
Is it allowed to have 'enemies' in the picture as well? For example, I have my warrior badgers all formed up as a group, and off to the sides are the attacking lizards, would that be allowed? If so, what are the rules surrounding it? Or is it just the team and only the team?

Thanks
Joe

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 06:58:27 AM »
Quick question about rule #12: Is it true that you can't ask anyone to vote for you at all? I have no problem with the rule regarding posting images elsewhere, but I'd like clarification on the asking people to vote rules. For example, could I post somewhere "I'm in the Lead Painter's League competition, here's a link, please go vote!"? Is that fine as long as I don't put a "for me" at the end?

Please don't get that wrong, we won't be searching through the internet and looking for rule violations, this one is more a reminder than rule. We think it's unsporting to drum all the relatives, friends and workmates to vote for oneself. LPL is a competition for active LAF member not for the rest of the world. But as usual at the end of the day it's your decision what to do.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:12:56 AM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 06:59:31 AM »
Is it allowed to have 'enemies' in the picture as well? For example, I have my warrior badgers all formed up as a group, and off to the sides are the attacking lizards, would that be allowed? If so, what are the rules surrounding it? Or is it just the team and only the team?

Sure, as long as the enemies aren't supposed to be a part of 5+ team it's allowed to depict them as well.