Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 10 - Rules  (Read 41732 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Quick question on Medieval - would Robin Hood count?  Fits the period (12th century) but are you only looking for genuinely historic figures?

Going to check that with the LPL moderation team.

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
For round 10 was thinking of doing some Hordes Warpwolves and Argus Two headed dogs - Are these feral enough for round 10?

Offline angstpuppet

• Bookworm
For round 10 was thinking of doing some Hordes Warpwolves and Argus Two headed dogs - Are these feral enough for round 10?

I was thinking of doing something similar with my Everblight stuff that really needs a paint job, that is if I can ever find the time to paint.  I really need to paint at least a few Hordes figs as I just opened a game store and demo armies are kind of needed.  Plus this might get me off of my duff enough to actually start painting again and join an LPL after talking about it for the last couple of years.

Dim_Reaper

I presume on the Medieval category, you're really looking at Historical Miniatures, and thus I suppose something that would "sort of fit the feel", like say the Medieval Styled Rackham Griffin range, or GW's Bretonnians etc would be unsuitable?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I presume on the Medieval category, you're really looking at Historical Miniatures, and thus I suppose something that would "sort of fit the feel", like say the Medieval Styled Rackham Griffin range, or GW's Bretonnians etc would be unsuitable?

If it could pass as an historical medieval figure, it's fine. If it looks more like a fantasy figure, it's not fine.
Some Bretonnian foot soldiers look exactly like typical medieval infantrymen and would be fine.
Some of the knights are far too ornate and fantasy-styled to pass for historical knights and so would not be fine.

Well the two headed dogs are definitely creatures or monsters as far as I can see.
The warpwolves appear to have armour / uniform of some kind and carry manufactured weapons - big, ornate, GW-style fantasy swords - so would not qualify. They appear to be more of a 'race' than out and out creatures.

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Oh well back to the planning stage - my Warpwolves are the ones without weapons but do have a couple of armour pieces - They will just have to appear in another round

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Quick question on Medieval - would Robin Hood count?  Fits the period (12th century) but are you only looking for genuinely historic figures?

Yes, Robin Hood counts.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Question about round 10: If the figures must be "feral", does that mean "domesticated" or "tamed" creatures don't qualify? I mean creatures with collars, harness, reins, saddles, howdahs, riders, handlers with leashes, or other stuff along those lines. The "feral" rule, as written, focuses on uniforms and advanced weaponry, not things like collars, harness and riders.

Also, as the rules seem to disqualify non-fantasy, non-sci-fi creatures, does that mean prehistoric animals are out?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Dim_Reaper

Small question, perhaps I've overlooked it. But I presume it'd at least be a good idea to identify the models and producer in the email? Or does that not really matter?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Small question, perhaps I've overlooked it. But I presume it'd at least be a good idea to identify the models and producer in the email? Or does that not really matter?

No, that doesn't really matter for your email submission. Although people often ask in the relevant thread, once a match is posted, if they want to know the maker of a particular figure.

Question about round 10: If the figures must be "feral", does that mean "domesticated" or "tamed" creatures don't qualify? I mean creatures with collars, harness, reins, saddles, howdahs, riders, handlers with leashes, or other stuff along those lines. The "feral" rule, as written, focuses on uniforms and advanced weaponry, not things like collars, harness and riders.

Also, as the rules seem to disqualify non-fantasy, non-sci-fi creatures, does that mean prehistoric animals are out?

The theme bonus title is beasts, creatures and monsters. The restriction is fantasy or sci-fi. So anything beastly, creature or monster like would qualify, from a sci-fi, fantasy or mythic background. Since dinosaurs were real, they wouldn't qualify. There's nothing to say your creature has to be feral. So, for instance, a herd of domesticated Star Wars alien creatures would qualify.
What we don't want is human-sized and shaped figures with uniforms and / or manufactured weapons, either sci-fi, fantasy or mythical. Hence no orcs, no 40K alien races (Kroot) etc. These are races or organised factions - not beasts, creatures and monsters. A giant or troll waving a stone club is a monster or creature. A regiment of orcs or elves isn't.
If you have a particular type of beast, creature or monster in mind for your team, and aren't sure it would qualify for the theme bonus, best to ask the Prof directly via PM.

Dim_Reaper

No, that doesn't really matter for your email submission. Although people often ask in the relevant thread, once a match is posted, if they want to know the maker of a particular figure.

Ah fair enough. Easy enough to be on hand for those sorts of questions.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
There's nothing to say your creature has to be feral.

Well, to be insufferably pedantic, technically the rules do by using that exact word - it's just a question of how to interpret it. The context does provide a definition of the word ("feral" as in not exhibiting properties of civilisation, the ability to manufacture or use advanced items, etc), but the non-treatment of the alternative meaning of the word ("feral" as in the opposite of domesticated or tamed) is not necessarily an explicit or even implicit dissociation with that meaning, so it threw my head around a bit. Anyway, I get it now. Thanks, and sorry for being a pedant.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
So...if my shoggoths don't have any legs, are they (non-)standing? :-I

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Round 10...Zombies OK?
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
We might need The Prof for a final ruling on some of these specifics, but as I understand it (from our conversations before settling on the bonus themes for this league), no, zombies would not count, Rob. Sorry.

The intent is creatures, beasts and monsters of a sci-fi, fantasy, mythic nature. Zombies are reanimated humans, so not really creatures.
Beings or 'races' which are essentially human-sized and shaped (e.g. orcs, elves, vampires, zombies, Kroot, etc) do not count as 'creatures, beasts or monsters'.

Shoggoths - shapeless lumps of protoplasm from the Cthulhu mythos - are most definitely 'creatures'  :)