Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:14:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 10 - Rules  (Read 41826 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Shoggoths - shapeless lumps of protoplasm from the Cthulhu mythos - are most definitely 'creatures'  :) 

I think Dolmot's Shoggoth question was regarding Round 1; do they count as "not standing"?

(Personally I would assume in the negative, because if "belly-draggers" like crocs and gators don't count, then surely crawlers don't either.)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I think Dolmot's Shoggoth question was regarding Round 1; do they count as "not standing"?

(Personally I would assume in the negative, because if "belly-draggers" like crocs and gators don't count, then surely crawlers don't either.)

Heavens, we are getting metaphysical... Does a legless blob count as sitting, lying or kneeling?  ::)
Well, whilst I concede that amputees can sit in a wheelchair, ordinarily one need legs in order to kneel, crouch, squat and so on... So I agree the answer is no.
You could, of course, argue all such points to the nth degree, and make a case either way. But as usual, I'm sure the intent is pretty clear?
Bonus points for a team of miniatures that are not in the usual standing / running / advancing poses... Just to encourage participants to paint something a bit different from the standard wargames fare for a change :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 10...Zombies OK?

No, no zombies.

So...if my shoggoths don't have any legs, are they (non-)standing? :-I
Heavens, we are getting metaphysical... Does a legless blob count as sitting, lying or kneeling?  ::)
Well, whilst I concede that amputees can sit in a wheelchair, ordinarily one need legs in order to kneel, crouch, squat and so on... So I agree the answer is no.
You could, of course, argue all such points to the nth degree, and make a case either way. But as usual, I'm sure the intent is pretty clear?
Bonus points for a team of miniatures that are not in the usual standing / running / advancing poses... Just to encourage participants to paint something a bit different from the standard wargames fare for a change :)

Like Richard said, they wouldnt count.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Would knights such as these old Metal Magic ones count as medieval and warrant the bonus points in round 5?

Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
And an intesrting (I hope) questionfrom me...

To score bonus points in the first round, you must paint and submit a team of at least 5 lying, sitting or kneeling figures. This specifically EXCLUDES any casualties (i.e. dead and wounded). If your team matches the above criteria, you receive an extra 10 theme bonus points.

Would (crawling) zombies be an allowed option? sure they are dead, but als undead (not dead) and if they always look  wounded, but that is their "natural" state...
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Just posted a clarification on the Medieval bonus round:

Concerning the Medieval bonus round, please note the following clarification:

While "Vikings" and their descendants were still around by the 11th century (e.g. Anglo-Danes, Hiberno-Norse, Normans and the high medieval Scandinavian kingdoms), the various Viking miniatures commonly cover the period from the late 8th to the mid-to-late 10th centuries. Thus, to make things clear and unambiguous, these kind of Vikings are OUT OF SCOPE for the bonus round and will not receive bonus points. Do note that you may submit Hastings-era Normans and Anglo-Saxons, which are within scope.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Would knights such as these old Metal Magic ones count as medieval and warrant the bonus points in round 5?

going to check that with the LPL moderation team

And an intesrting (I hope) questionfrom me...

Would (crawling) zombies be an allowed option? sure they are dead, but als undead (not dead) and if they always look  wounded, but that is their "natural" state...

No, it's about lying/sitting/kneeling figures. Crawling ones wouldn't count.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
So "stationary" is the key word?

Offline fiendil

• Student
The intent is creatures, beasts and monsters of a sci-fi, fantasy, mythic nature. Zombies are reanimated humans, so not really creatures.
Beings or 'races' which are essentially human-sized and shaped (e.g. orcs, elves, vampires, zombies, Kroot, etc) do not count as 'creatures, beasts or monsters'.
I was looking at painting five of these chaps:

https://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/minions/units/gatorman-bokor-and-bog-trog-swamp-shamblers

The gatorman is a bokur and that's a 40mm base he's filling up, and the zombie fishmen are smaller than man-sized, and on 30mm bases. The bokur is holding a hand of glory and skulls on a string. Some of the fishmen do have loincloths and scraps of turtle shells as armour.

Which side of the line would they fall? Creaturey enough, or too organised?
death before honour

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Well I would say they're creatures.
The Prof is the final arbiter this time round though  :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Well I would say they're creatures.
The Prof is the final arbiter this time round though  :)

Definitely creatures.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond

sorry for the delay with reply. They're too much fantasy, so no, they wouldn't count.

Offline fiendil

• Student
Definitely creatures.

Ta.

(Their accompanying big thing is going to be the Swamp Horror, an 'orrible tentacle monster.  :D )

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
I have a very general question that's largely not to do with the bonus rounds:

In previous LPLs I've occasionally seen mixed groups of townspeople/villagers or other similar bystanders/civilians/non-coms submitted as "teams". So these do count as teams, then? Like, say, a hodgepodge of beggars, ladies of the night, merchants, street performers, urchins, errand-boys, porters, beasts of burden, and so on? Perhaps the odd toff and his lady walking down the street as well? Or as another example, a mix of Mos Eisley cantina / Jabba's court style aliens?

On a related note, what about mixed animals/creatures of the wilderness? Assuming they would all look at home in the same environment and be able to coexist peacefully in the same "scene" (like, around a watering hole or a tree bearing fruit), would they count as a "team" by the same principle that I assume mixed civilians/bystanders do? This question is partly to do with the Round 10 bonus, but not exclusively.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond

On a related note, what about mixed animals/creatures of the wilderness? Assuming they would all look at home in the same environment and be able to coexist peacefully in the same "scene" (like, around a watering hole or a tree bearing fruit), would they count as a "team" by the same principle that I assume mixed civilians/bystanders do?

Yes, they would count as a team.