Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:06:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking of a small 2000AD skirmish game project  (Read 40040 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Thinking of a small 2000AD skirmish game project
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:21 AM »
Well, I'd certainly check out the newer Dredd film, plenty of inspiration there.

You're spoiled for choice with JD stories - whatever you want, you've got it.

Good call that man! Of course, corridors with a a great big FO drop in the interior

I really enjoyed the latest Dredd film, although i seem to be in the minority in my circle
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »
I'm feeling nostalgic, so keep coming back to Dredd(Minty), SD and Sam Slade

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »
Just noticed that Drivethru RPG, the sister site of the Wargame Vault has a promotion on all the Mongoose Judge Dredd releated rpgs such as Strontium Dog and other interesting titles. But if you're interested hurry as the sale ends today.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 09:32:51 AM »
In my experience a "small 2000AD skirmish project" is like a gateway drug ;)

Like Samurai Jack and Futurama, Dredd is a big ol' mash-up that allows almost anything to be rationally included in games.  If you add the rest of 2000AD to that, then you should have enough sub-projects to see you to the grave even if you live to 150.

Your Dredd vs the Angel Gang sounds like a good, narrow focus start to me.  The options for Dredd gaming a bewilderingly large, so I suggest that you pick a narrow focus like a handful of judges and a bunch of MC1 perps/Angels/Sov Judges/Dark Judges and see how that goes. 

I have my second set of Dark Judges on the painting table at the moment.  I dont "need" a second painted set of the same characters of course, but the camp and OTT design of those guys outfits makes them an interesting painting project.

I cant get enough of other peoples 2000AD figures, so make sure to update with photos whatever you decide to go for.  Good luck!

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »
Thanks fellas. I'm off looking at those sites

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
I think that this project may be my own "long walk" and i can see this blossoming over time by returning to one of my first loves, 2000AD ;)

One last question ... Foundry or Mongoose figures?

I like the Foundry range but it looks limited. That's not an issue if i keep this tight i.e. Dredd v the Family ... but, well, i know what i'm like

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
the Mongoose ones are okay,though i'm not willing to pay the silly Warlord Prices:5£ for an Ape who was 2.99£ 12 Months ago  >:( :?
Foundry ones are bit chunkier/larger but lovely nonetheless  :-*

Teaser  ;)

Left to Right:Mongoose Dredd vs 2x Foundry Dredd

and another one:Foundry/MG/Foundry/MG

Offline Penchour

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »
Depending on you approach, you may also consider 7TV: works pretty well when focusing on limited iconinc cast of 'heroes' (like judges) vs larger bunch of 'villains' (like perps). Rather fast paced and very (VERY) adaptable system initialy to bridge RPG and Wg into spy-fy skirmishes

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »

The Foundry and Mongoose stuff mix fine... in most cases.  In others the scale discrepancy is a bit higher (as can be seen in Dr Falkenhayns second photo).  I happily mix them all together.

Both of the ranges have their own issues regarding posing, proportion, varied sculptors and styles, but considering my love for the subject matter I decided to roll with it: life is short, I want to play games with 2000AD figures, these are the available 2000AD figures available, end of story.

So I suggest that you get the ones that you like from each range.  If you have a concern about specific models I can take comparison shots if you like (I went full on fan-boy for both of these ranges so I have 99% of both).  Obviously I dont want to take catalogue style, Usual Suspects line up shots of all of the figures, but if you have a concern about specifics then let me know.  I am happy to take a few photos for a fellow Squaxx :)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
Thanks guys.

That's settled! Dredd (with the Mongoose Lawmaster/rider), ST/Wulf/Gronk and the Family. All Foundry

In time i may add the Mongoose Cursed Earth Desparados

And Dr F - lovely lovely PJs

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »
I play JDMG and we like it lots.

TBH having your own block gang is just as much fun as judges. Mega city is as mentioned a mix of everything and the options for interesting gangers is unlimited.

Noted & understood - cheers

My concern about MC1 was the terrain that i'd need. That's why i thought Cursed Earth. That and, initially, i do want to keep a lid on the number of figures as this might well be a solo project

Best

James

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »

My concern about MC1 was the terrain that i'd need. That's why i thought Cursed Earth.

All my Dredd games to date have been Cursed Earth based as I work on my Wasteland/Deathworld terrain.  The boxes of stuff for building my own Big Meg are accumulating, but building an urban sci-fi terrain set is a challenge.  It will happen eventually, but in the interim its all Hotdog runs :)

Again, there is plenty to keep the Justice Dept busy in the Cursed Earth.  As for Wulf and Johnny, most of those SD stories have a western feel to them anyway, so it suits that too.

Im looking forward to seeing your progress on this.  Make sure to keep us up to date :)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »
Thanks fella - i will  :)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »
If you're a 2000AD fan like myself, and don't already have the reprinted JD 'Complete Files' books, then they're surely an absolute must. There are so many stories in there that could turn a normal game into a narrative scenario.

You've got any number of 'Special Conditions' you could throw at players - possibly randomised with the draw of a card on Turn 1 and kept secret from each other.

Bad Guys Missions - Stealing Uncle Ump's secret formula? Kidnapping a rich citizen (with the possibility of getting the wrong guy)? Stealing some important tech? Turf war? Bank job? Block mania? Pure ol' revenge against the judges? Hired mobs working for East Meg, trying to contaminate a vital utility supply? Keeping the judges busy whilst another job is happening elsewhere?

Judges Missions - where do you start ... stopping the bad guys from carrying out their mission really, but with side-missions too. To keep the body count down after pressure from Citizen groups? Maximum force to send a message to other gangs? Keep one gang member alive and detain them (important information)? Protect innocent citizens? Protect a certain vehicle/building/box from collateral damage? To mop up the bad guys as quickly as possible to attend another important incident, or to keep them occupied as long as possible to distract them and stop them attending another incident?

You'd probably get as much fun just thinking up each scenario as you would playing the damn game!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 08:35:30 AM »
Thanks Cubs.

I took advice and bought Vol 1 (it was that or 13, i think, that was recommended) as i only wanted the one at the time. I might just go and tap my brother for his copies  :D

However, its only now come to my attention that you can get these on Kindle. I may have to invest!

I have just bought the Cursed Earth Saga & a SD novel.

I really like the concept of adding special conditions/sub-plots to a game.

I haven't really looked at JDMG, other than the eye-candy. I knew when i did it would start something  lol