Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:22:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Iron and Honor 28mm fantasy skirmish game  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Kealios

• Bookworm
    • My wargaming blog
Iron and Honor 28mm fantasy skirmish game
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »
There is probably not a soul who visits here that doesnt also visit TMP, but just in case:

Iron and Honor has posted up a rather inconspicuous post asking for playtesters. It is a fantasy skirmish game for 6 to 12 models per side, and is "Build Your Own" with a bit more meat than Song of Blades, it seems.
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=338532

I made a QRS for it, posted on that other link. Just spreading the word because it looks interesting. I am in no way affiliated or related...just very curious.

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
Re: Iron and Honor 28mm fantasy skirmish game
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »
Smells of Skulldred but without the maths free mechanics and with weapons added.  That is really dissapointing. They lift a lot of my language too- like upgrading spells to blasts- spell effects not lists, action dice.  Really annoying.
Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »
Smells of Skulldred but without the maths free mechanics and with weapons added.  That is really dissapointing. They lift a lot of my language too- like upgrading spells to blasts- spell effects not lists, action dice.  Really annoying.

I'm not familiar with either game, but 'Smells of Skulldread' sounds like a great name for an expansion set! :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »
There is probably not a soul who visits here that doesnt also visit TMP,

Ha! I wouldn't bet your lead mountain on that.  lol
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »
Ha! I wouldn't bet your lead mountain on that.  lol

ditto

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
Can't stant TMP navigation there is really difficult and about 50% of the time when I follow a link there it appears to be down for maintenance....

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »

How is Skulldred these days is it out yet? It has been over a year since i tried the playtest rules.

I am not trying to be a smart ass I genuinely want to know.

Offline Kealios

• Bookworm
    • My wargaming blog
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »

Well, it seems to me that since your rules are under lock and key (I have to register for beta?), you would have had to let them in to steal the verbage of your rules that are currently under development. I'm not sure he then whipped up a bunch of things that sound exactly like yours? Anyway, nebulous terms like "blast" aren't really yours :P

THAT being said, I did like perusing your blog! Your graphics (all over the place) are VERY cool. I'm an absolute sucker for build-your-own, but I tend to really stay away from "simple" game sets (I own, but you will never catch me playing, any of the Song of Blades titles...). Math really isnt hard (and my 7 year old son had zero problem with Iron and Honor's math), and isnt always bad ("factor, factor, factor!").

OK, I'll be signing up for your beta. I edit and brainstorm regardless of what I read (check all my comments on the TMP link...I'm the only one posting on it, it seems!)...hopefully I can be of assistance.

Offline Kealios

• Bookworm
    • My wargaming blog
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 04:31:11 PM »
...about 50% of the time when I follow a link there it appears to be down for maintenance....

I've noticed that TMP seems to go down for daily maintenance at 12:10am PST, so GMT-8. You being in England, you'd actually be awake during that time...so I can see how that would be frustrating. Being on the West Coast in the US, I dont tend to bump into this problem...

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 06:23:43 AM »
Smells of skulldred is an excellent expansion name!

I already had bride of skulldred, skulldred strikes back and pint of skulldred pencilled in.

Not so much 'blast' on its own- the combined use of stuff across the board.  The rules are free to download for years- so only new stuff under lock and key.  Like I said, dissapointing behavior if that is the case.  We all borrow ideas.

Anyhoo- has made me want to get my baby out the door.  New beta available as soon as humanly possible.

Offline Kealios

• Bookworm
    • My wargaming blog
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »
I'm downloading your 2.05 rules right now..going on a business trip tonight so this gives me stuff to do! :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:18 PM »
Reads fairly well, pretty standard skirmish stuff so far. The BYO mechanic is good but basic grunts should be at least 2 hits to kill, as the 1 strike and dead makes healing potions/spells etc pointless.
There is not really much Fantasy about it though, difficult to see how the system could be worked to make a Monster battle group or play dungeon delve adventures with many adventurers vs 1 heavyweight monster.
Need s a lot of work still unless its sole purpose is a small warband vs very similar small warband 1 vs 1 game.

As it stands currently a worthwhile effort, but still not the RPG lite D&D skirmish game I have been looking for....It is a considerable improvement over the tedious Sob&H though!