Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:39:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warband: Goalsystem Fantasy Skirmish [Official Game Title Changed - 7/7/14]  (Read 29769 times)

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
Re: Goalsystem Fantasy Skirmish
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 02:04:42 AM »
My guess is the poor turn out for the SuperSystem KS has something to do with it.  I was on that KS and we just couldn't get momentum going.  It's unfortunate that the big kickstarters are so successful and offer so many freebies that the smaller ones just can't attract people.

Offline Rolude

• Schoolboy
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 05:21:58 AM »
Sadly I gotta agree with that on how KS has been going lately, the big pre-sale ones really are pushing out "the little guy" stuff that comes up.
Which I guess I am weird because it's the little ones I end up wanting to support and not the big ones. But anyway I recon we're not here to bemoan the possible problems with kickstarter... on to actual topic at hand.

I am so behind this!

I missed the GoalSystem Delves KS but did end up picking up a Print copy from Noble Knight.

But as is the case with a few other people here already, it turned out to not be exactly what I was wanting due to "too much rpg" in it. I was really wanting a minis battle game that didn't require something along the line of actual GM-ing.

My group do RPG-ing, but when we do we usually don't use minis and try to work the Role play aspect of that.

But most of the time it is easier for some number of us to get together and just do some table top gaming.

So, what I wanted and was hoping for was what you're talking about this time, a straight up fantasy minis skirmish game, with a campaign system!

I have recently picked up a Print copy of Blasters and Bulkheads 2 yes basically having GSD re-written into "Fantasy B&B" would be Fantastic!

As far as minis gaming goes the Goalsystem has been hands down one of my absolute favorites since SuperSystem 1st ed came out.

Please please please do allow some form of print (on demand?) option for this.

(I have a ton of pdfs but really they're almost useless for me and my group, we're all "book or it didn't happen" players.)

So besides bemoaning the problems with KS and trying to make clear my enthusiasm for this idea...

I think groups of say 3-5 PCs (Primary Characters) that could be supported by henchman and hirelings/followers would be good.

Maybe the Henchman could gain some amount of XP and have limited advancement, maybe even be able to step up to being a Primary if there is an opening (say a PC dies). But then other than that I'd like to see them generally being weaker than a PC, but more powerful than a single hireling.

Then I think the Hirelings/Followers could be the ones that need to roll around in groups of 5 or so. And they maybe wouldn't really gain XPs.

So to reference some Heroes of Legend and such, you've got Robin Hood and Little Jon, and then the Merry Men.

King Arthur, Merlin, Lancelot and/or Gawain are PCs. Named Knights of the Round could basically be Henchman and then some basic spearmen, bowmen, shieldmen, etc types as followers/hirelings for those that want them.

Beowolf as a PC, Wiglaf could be a henchman, and his thegns/servants would all be followers.

Also, besides team vs team pvp matches, warband to warband conflicts, it would be very nice to have the option to roll face a warband against a monster or monsters also.

So a campaign could mix up warbands fighting as well as monster hunts or fights against a big nasty thing (giant, big angry bear, hydra, Nemean Lion, giant boar, etc.) or group of nasty things like a tribe of orcs, goblins, reavers, snakemen, cultists and followers of Chaos and the like.

Anyhow, I am totally loving this idea, even if it is "just" Delves re-written to B&B it's what I have really been wanting and I would be buying several copies. ;-)

Cheers! ~R~

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 12:20:40 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback, folks! 

I am not going to KS this.  I'll make it on my own steam, or not at all.  Once we get the SuperSystem 4th ed. PDF/POD going in a month or two, I will plow all of the funds from that into financing the GSF game. 

I am literally working on this right now. As I wait to get my hands on the SS4 layout to edit, I have to do something else!  :)
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »
I must admit, after reading about Delve I HAD to buy it, a skirmish/rpg is exactly what I've been looking for!!!!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
I must admit, after reading about Delve I HAD to buy it, a skirmish/rpg is exactly what I've been looking for!!!!

I hope you like it.  There's a lot of love in that book.  If you get the print version, it's one of the nicest books I've ever made. 

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »
If you don't want to KS it would you possibly take preorders. Seems like there is some interest here and I would really like to see it happen

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »
Give me a week or two of sustained effort and I will have a play-test PDF to share with folks. 

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
Give me a week or two of sustained effort and I will have a play-test PDF to share with folks. 

Woo Hoo!  Back on track with my Otherworld minis!

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »
Definitely looking forward to the play test.  Been working on a lot of random fantasy minis and this could help keep me motivated.

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »
Awesome news about the playtest rules.  Sounds like it will be right up my alley.  I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
I just ordered some Four-A Miniatures goblins and chaos dwarves to make a warband for testing.  I just need an old school GW Chaos Warrior to lead them!

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 08:55:47 PM »
I've been meaning to pick up those 4A chaos dwarves too. Wasn't sure how much his shipping to USA was though. 

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »
I've been meaning to pick up those 4A chaos dwarves too. Wasn't sure how much his shipping to USA was though. 

I bought 2 Chaos Dwarves and a pack of goblins and it was only 2 GBP for shipping. Not bad!

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 10:30:35 PM »
You guys should check out Tre Manor's barbarian horde kickstarter.  His Helsvakt have a chaos warrior vibe to them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1103158358/barbarian-horde

Offline Veralius

• Student
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »
Very keen to see how this progresses! I've got a load of Hasslefree fantasy miniatures that are perfect for a game like this.