Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:02:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warband: Goalsystem Fantasy Skirmish [Official Game Title Changed - 7/7/14]  (Read 29802 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Two years ago I ran a successful KS to release Goalsystem Delves.  Delves is a gorgeous little book that combines RPG and skirmish mechanics, and does so rather nicely, I think.  

Now I want to take what I learned from that, and from doing Blasters & Bulkheads 2nd ed. and make Goalsystem Fantasy Skirmish.

It would be a pure skirmish game, with scenarios, campaign rules, and the ability for your warband to grow and change over time.  I will not be kick-starting this.  I'm working on the rules right now, basically re-skinning B&B 2nd and adding elements I love from Delves in to make the sort of skirmish game I envision folks will want to play.  

Let me know what you think it ought to have in there.  I am definitely cribbing the campaign and Party Wealth rules from Delves, and B&B 2nd's Background will likely become D&D style "Classes", but there will be plenty of stuff for folks to tweak and add.

I am toning down Fate and characters will start play with less vitality, so it should be more lethal.  I'll include plenty of classic fantasy races and monsters too.  Some of that can ported over from Delves, but will also need tweaked for skirmish play.  

What I do want is an old school D&D feel to the art, so I am seeking such artists who can work cheaply, or on spec.  I'll need art for races, fight scenes, and items.

Thanks for reading and contributing!  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:30:31 PM by fourcolorfigs »
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
Re: Goalsystem Fantasy Skirmish
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »
Sounds great. I downloaded delves as soon as it was available. It's an awesome book but was more RPG then I was looking for. Hopefully this turns out more like the chaos series.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:47:36 PM »
Sounds great. I downloaded delves as soon as it was available. It's an awesome book but was more RPG then I was looking for. Hopefully this turns out more like the chaos series.

Thanks! Yes, this is the idea, with some refinements based on many games played. 

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »
So I assume you are going to stick to your normal style of having weak monsters/henchmen act as units? If so what are the chances of possibly having some rules for warmachines like bolt throwers and catapults?

I've been looking for a fantasy game that can handle 1-3 characters,a few units, and a monster/ warmachine for awhile.

Offline Kes

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:57:41 AM »
Really quick question - does anyone know if I can buy a physical copy of GoalSystem Delves in the UK?

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »
Really quick question - does anyone know if I can buy a physical copy of GoalSystem Delves in the UK?

I would be glad if there are any EU traders that sell GSD. I have PMed Scott yesterday about it, I will post his reply once he responds.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »
There are no UK stockists of Delves that I know of.  Noble Knight games here in the USA will ship internationally.  You can try them, as they have Delves.

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_E_2137428150_A_ManufacturerID_E_2145086760_A_CategoryID_E_16

It's slightly discounted as well! 

I would gladly sell a batch to a UK stockist if one approached me.

Thanks!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »
So I assume you are going to stick to your normal style of having weak monsters/henchmen act as units? If so what are the chances of possibly having some rules for warmachines like bolt throwers and catapults?

I've been looking for a fantasy game that can handle 1-3 characters,a few units, and a monster/ warmachine for awhile.

Yes, Henchmen rules will be in play.  I think you can build warmachines using the vehicle rules. I will leave those in place but tweak them for fantasy.

I am going for a Chainmail, warband-style approach.  You build a band of 5 - 6 characters, and fight battles, go to town, manage your party wealth, do stuff during post-battle, then fight more battles. 

I also may include an Encounters phase where players can run a monster or two against a warband prior to or after the normal battle.  You risk exploration and danger for extra wealth.

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »
Wow! That all sounds perfect. I actually downloaded b&b yesterday to kinda get an idea of what direction you may go with this. Really like the way the goal system is evolving.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
Sounds great!  I'm really disappointed that Otherworld Skirmish still has not been released and I have all of these wonderful minis waiting to be gamed with....  Besides, who cant have one more set of rules? :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »
Hello Scott - I'm very interested.  I've been looking for the perfect fantasy skirmish game for years.  I love the Chaos line but felt GS Delves was a little too rules-heavy and included a few too many RPG elements for my tastes.

Like Too Bo Coo, I'm also eagerly waiting for the Otherworld Skirmish rules which should be out this summer according to the latest update on the Otherworld forums.  I agree that there is room in this market for more than one set of rules.

I like campaign elements in a skirmish game but not RPG elements.  I play a lot of RPGs and when I pick up a skirmish game, I want something with light rules that plays fast.  Multi-player support is a bonus and a good point value system is critical.  I think you nailed this in Chaos in Carpathia and I'm excited that you are working on this.  I'll definitely keep an eye on this.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:39:18 PM by Nikdo »

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
WOW, has it been that long.  I remember back to playtesting Delves, doesn't seem that long ago.  This is really cool news and I wish you the best of luck. 

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 07:33:06 PM »
Hi Mates!  Quick question, is it worth getting Delves or should I wait for the new game?  I'm sad I missed your KS... 

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »
@Too Boo Coo - I missed the KS too but picked up the PDF afterwards.  I was hoping for something along the lines of Chaos in Carpathia.  Delves was a bit heavy for my taste in a skirmish game.  I'm not saying it's a bad game by any means, just that it wasn't really what I was looking for.  I'm really glad Scott is doing a lighter weight skirmish game for Goalsystem. Your mileage may vary.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »
I am seeking such artists who can work cheaply, or on spec.

Not entirely sure of just what definition you're using for 'spec', but one of them's a bit frowned-upon. Otherwise, take a look at ConceptArt.org. Fantasy art is right up their alley (look at the Art & Artwork boards at the top of the main forum page) and some of 'em might work cheaply if they understand your situation and like the idea.

Though, if it's not prying too much, why wouldn't you kickstart this one?