Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:07:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Leaderboard  (Read 94366 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Leaderboard
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
After Round Seven.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 02:16:53 PM »
Going to be a photo finish...(no pun intended)! The top contenders are going to need every bonus point, which means we should see some cool scenes and "big items" in the finale...

I'm hoping to reach my goal this year of 5-5...

Mike Demana

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »
After Round Eight.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 02:13:08 PM »
Damn that's Liverpool-City tight! But this time I think it will come down to goal-differenc!

Great season!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 10:02:24 PM »
Damn that's Liverpool-City tight! But this time I think it will come down to goal-differenc!

Great season!

It sure is tight.

Best so far, I reckon.

Some serious top drawer entries all the way through.
Everyone has really raised the bar.

One interesting thing is to take a look at those bonus points.
They really do make a difference.
It certainly pays to take advantage of those bonus rounds.

Sterling work all round, chaps.
 :D

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 05:04:05 AM »
One interesting thing is to take a look at those bonus points.
They really do make a difference.

Definitely! For example, Zoogla (who I feel is a markedly better painter than myself) is one spot behind me at #19. He is 6-2, while I'm 4-4, but with more points. The bonus from my new entries is what inches me past him.

That said, I do feel better about my 4 losses when I look and see they're against painters who are #2, #6, #8, and #9!  lol

It will be REAL interesting to see how the final round shakes out.

Mike Demana

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
And there's only a point in it  :o :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »
After Round Nine.

Offline artshiraz

• Scientist
    • http://miniatures.mehlinger.net/
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »
Greetings,

interestingly when I voted today I had the exceptional experience to vote three times a tie.
Not once, not two times, but three times.

Amazing. That shows how small the differences are.

Now on to more popcorn and a picture-finish
Bloody marvelous great amazing jobs from all of you
Thank you
Jo
50°17\\\'60N  8°16\\\'0E

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
Agreed. I don't know how many times I scrolled up and down looking at the Frank vs. Capt. Blood matchup alone! Yikes...difficult choices!!!

Mike Demana

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »
I think I'll open a book!

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 05:31:44 PM »
I didn't notice this change in the rules. As a suggestion for next year, maybe you can change the brackets from absolute number of votes to 'percentile ranges (e.g. 0-10 % of total votes: 0 pts; 11-20%: 1 pt,....).

I've noticed that the total number of votes can vary wildly from matchup to matchup.  'Popular' matchups means more possible votes. E.g. Darth Jaymz was in a matchup with 460 total votes, so despite his gathering 96,95% of the votes he got 9 points just as Neldoreth (97,6% of votes). Dr. Mathias has a comparable percantage of votes (96,5 %) but nets one point more.

I'm quite sure that participating is way more important than the exact number of points on scores, but I suppose that the 'competition' element is also part of the fun. Maybe a system of percentile brackets could compensate for the difference in number of votes.

Now the dust has settled, I crunched some numbers. For each participant I added up the votes for and against. If I'm not making a basic logical error, this should represent the possible votes the participant could have gotten. The
maximum values was 4900, the minimum 4343. This means the 'max' participant had a potential of 557 votes the 'min' participant didn't have. More than one round difference !

The average and median value were approx. the same (4675 and 4680) which indicates a fairly even distribution IIRC.

Though this wouldn't have changed top 3, since they tend to gather more votes anyway, but it might have caused some position shifts lower in the rankings.

Maybe think about a distributing points based on a percentage of votes for in stead of a absolute number of votes.
I'm not quite anal enough to produce an 'alternate' standing based on this years LPL, but it would be interesting to see the impact.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
I think it would be a good idea, not only to compensate uneven voter activity within rounds but also for better balance of vote points over seasons.

The user (and voter) base of this forum has increased gradually. For a comparison, the number of voters in the 1st league was about 70-80, whereas now it's about 400-500. However, a fixed vote point ratio of 10:1 was steadily used on seasons 1-7 with an increasing cap as follows:

seasons 1-3: 0-5 points
seasons 4-5: 0-15 points
seasons 6-7: 0-20 points

This obviously caused very inconsistent contribution of base and vote points, the former being always 10/20/30 per round while the latter has varied between max. 5 and 20. On season 1 it was possible that neither side scored full five points. On season 7 many losing entries still scored full 20 points from votes because close to 500 voters were enough to hit the cap on both sides. Winners were practically guaranteed 20 points every time. Only on this season the ratio was changed dramatically to 50:1. Now it was a real struggle to reach full ten points.

Long story short, drastic changes in voter activity have necessitated several adjustments to the ratio and cap of vote points, also affecting the relative weights of base and vote points. Switching to a percentage system would give total control over the contribution of votes, regardless of overall activity. Surely it would be more convenient in the long run than wild guessing and recalibration before every season.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
This is the first LPL I have seen in full, and voted for most rounds.

There were some times in a round that I choose not to vote for a pairing - as neither of the entries really grabbed me. And I thought there was a clear difference between the top entries and some of the lower ranked ones. And knowing that you got points for more votes, I choose not to vote.

Perhaps I misunderstood the maths.

But it seems from these stats a number of people aren't voting for some pairings.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
Maybe think about a distributing points based on a percentage of votes for in stead of a absolute number of votes.
I'm not quite anal enough to produce an 'alternate' standing based on this years LPL, but it would be interesting to see the impact.

Yes, sure, like mentioned already I like the idea and I think we will see how it works in the next league.