Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:05:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689778
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's fantasy projects. (Totems & Throne, the Final Chapter 4/18/15)  (Read 55420 times)

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
I appreciated the hints you've passed on that you seem to have learned first-hand, ie. blood and green stuff don't mix, green stuff will stay in the concrete if left too long, little things like that.

I checked out your Doctor Who thread too and have seen your timeline of bases there. Good luck with this project that looks like it will provide you with plenty of answers to the "What will I work on today?" question!

Jevenkah

oh, and the paintjobs are pretty fine as well!

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
I use a variation of this technique for my bases. I dispense with the slotta-base, and start off by choosing a fender washer of the proper size for the figure. Usually this ends up being a ¾” or 7/8” washer. I cover the central hole with clear tape, then cover the washer with a layer of green stuff and proceed pretty much the same way Michka does his. I use a more irregular pattern for the floor, though.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
I was just talking to a friend about using press-mold to make bases. At first I wasn't interested. Now I'm warming up to the idea. I might be making dungeon floor tiles for a terrain project, and it would save a lot of time if I didn't have to sculpt every single floor tile.
With what your looking to do have you looked into the Happy Seppuku press molds? Too Boo was showing his love for them recently.

I use a variation of this technique for my bases. I dispense with the slotta-base, and start off by choosing a fender washer of the proper size for the figure. Usually this ends up being a ¾” or 7/8” washer. I cover the central hole with clear tape, then cover the washer with a layer of green stuff and proceed pretty much the same way Michka does his. I use a more irregular pattern for the floor, though.
What are you doing out of your room? Aren't you supposed to be slaving away making more goodies for the masses? I haven't seen any goodies released from you in a while. Is it because your out socializing? :-)

Grimm

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Oh MPennock is working diligently on more goodies for the great unwashed. Trust me. He just gets distracted every once in a while actually playing games. All work on no play makes Mike a grumpy guy. 

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
It finally stopped raining long enough to take some pictures outside. The light isn't great but I've been wanting to show these off for a week now. To start I have a group of three Trolls. The first two are Otherworlds. The third is an old metal WOTC figure. It's not great, but you never know when you'll need a group of three trolls.

The ghouls you've seen before. I just wanted to post one shot of all six on the same bases.

Here's a bunch of GW metal Zombies. If you look closely you'll notice half of them are actually from Necromunda. I think the paint scheme hides this well enough.

This is one of my favorite Otherworlds miniatures, the Owlbear. He's menacing a Grenadier barbarian. The barbarian is there mostly to show size.

And finally I have an Otherworlds Hook Horror. Sure it's a goofy monster, but wouldn't this thing be scary as hell if you ran into it in a dark dungeon? 

More to come.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:32:56 AM by Michka »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Awesome the Owl Bear and Hook Monster are definitely two of the minis I want from OW.  Awesome stuff!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
That Owlbear has a real goofy charm to it. I'm defiantly adding it to the shopping list.

Great work on the project btw - you have some very pretty toys!

MM.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Yeah, I just love that Owlbear. Maybe I'll re-base the other two from other manufacturers soon. Then I can do a comparison shot.

I remember the first time a GM friend tried to describe what an Owl-Bear was.
"It's a monster with the body of a Bear, and the head of an Owl."
I couldn't get the image of this giant Bear body with a tiny Owl head on top of it. I remained unimpressed till this miniature came out. 

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
When you pin your figures, are you just drilling a tiny hole into the green stuff on top of the base, or are you actually going all the way to or even through the washer?

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
When you pin your figures, are you just drilling a tiny hole into the green stuff on top of the base, or are you actually going all the way to or even through the washer?

I drill the pin hole through the green stuff, the slotta-base and the plastic insert. Basically I stop drilling when the pin vise reaches the washer.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
This update is way later then I expected it to be. I've had some figures re-based for a while now, but just didn't feel like taking the pictures. This is not all of the stuff I've re-based since the last update. I have some more Skeletons and Pig-Faced Orcs to show off. I just need to finish off a last step or paint the last figure in a set before I post the pictures. But that's not important right now. Lets see some minis...

First is a bad photo of a GW Banshee. I just painted it this week. In fact I just bought it last Saturday, which makes this miniature one of the fastest turn-arounds I've ever done. I swear she looks better in person.

Then there's an old Rat-Man magic user. I got this figure out of a random lot of miniatures at a gaming convention flea market, so I know next to nothing about where it comes from. I do like him though.

This rather big fellow is an Otherworlds Minotaur. Not much to explain. He kinda speaks for himself. 

Here's a pair of Otherworlds Shadows. I love these figures. So much creepy wrapped in such a simple design. I wish Otherworlds would make a few more variants of monsters like these, cause two just isn't enough.

Finally, a pair of Otherworlds Wights. One of these guys just killed my best friend's dwarf player character recently, so he might be a little more smug then usual.

That's it for today. As always, more to come, and maybe a little sooner too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:33:41 AM by Michka »

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
I have a couple new shots of my skeletons. Seven of these guys were seen in a previous post, but I wanted to do a group shot of all the skeletons I've re-based so far.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:34:18 AM by Michka »

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
It's time for a long overdue update. Here goes...

Otherworlds Drow Warriors...

Another Otherworlds Slain Adventurer, the Dead Thief...

One last Skeleton. I found him after taking the "last" skeleton group shot.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:34:51 AM by Michka »

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Wow!
Some really cool minis and paintjobs there.
Nice work.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Thank you Aggro84. Kind comments always make my day.