Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:15:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's fantasy projects. (Totems & Throne, the Final Chapter 4/18/15)  (Read 55445 times)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
For about three years now I've been basing my fantasy figures on 30mm rounded edge bases with vinyl cobblestone matte inserted into it. It comes out looking like this...

Recently I decided I didn't want my figures on such big bases. This meant I would have to make some new bases. It was time to learn how to use green stuff. The results look like this...

These are not the same figures. Just the first batch of Otherworlds Ghouls to get the re-basing treatment.
I have since moved on to re-base some of my Otherworlds Pig-Faced Orcs...

I also started re-basing my old GW metal Skeletons.  By the way, pulling Skeletons off bases and pinning them again is a giant pain in the ass. Those are some damn thin ankles. It gets even worse when you realize you painting style changed halfway through painting them, so you'll have to re-paint a bunch of them too.

And of course other undead leaders had to be re-based as well. At least these guys had decent paint jobs, and thick ankles.

One of the great advantages of making your own bases is, you can do neat bases for special figures, like Slain Adventurers...

I promise, there are many more to come.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:31:00 AM by Michka »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Michka's massive fantasy re-basing project.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:27:17 AM »
Now that is dedication!  I can't conceive of rebasing my figures when the ranks of the unpainted call out so loudly. lol

Nice work on the bases. Maybe you can mold a few and cast them in resin?
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »
Very cool, and I applaud moving to smaller bases.  Bases are one of those things which drive me absolutely nuts.  lol  I really like the direction you've gone with yours.  Very cool.  Can't wait to see the rest.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 02:50:54 AM »
I love doing bases which is a prejudice to keep in mind when reading my comments. Your cobblestones are better than the inserts both for the sculpting & an escape from identical stone patterns. If you're doing the bases for an outdoor setting running a line of static grass growing between the stone looks cool. That aside the Various Lads look FANTASTIC on their new bases...those Orcs are really BEAUTIFULLY painted. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »
Much prefer the new bases over the old in size and style.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:29:20 AM »
Thank you all for the kind compliments. DeafNala, I'll have to remember the idea of using a touch of static grass to spice things up. I can always justify some green growth in dungeons and in the streets. Syrinx0 and Elbows, I have always been driven by my obsession with bases. In fact, when I started this project my buddy Mike couldn't help laughing at me. He's seen me go through this with many of my Sci-Fi projects. I'm building quite the collection of old discarded bases.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 03:53:31 AM »
The slain adventurers are great.  I have casualties for my armies but never thought to create some for my dungeon parties.  I have had twinges of thoughts about rebasing when adding to my decades old GW IG army but so far inertia has won.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 04:24:06 AM »
Quite an undertaking! Nice paintjobs on those minis as well! :)

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »
Really like the bases you made here. How exactly did you make them?
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
Really like the bases you made here. How exactly did you make them?

I'll  post some how-to photos as soon as I work on some more.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
As promised, how I make my bases.

1. Cut the slotta supports out of the slotta bases. Trim around the inside edges of the base so the washer fits inside the base in step three. (Don't forget to scrap off all the logos and other unnecessary printing inside the base.)

2. Draw a circle around a 3/4inch washer onto a piece of .040 sheet plastic. This should fit inside the top of a hollowed out slotta base.

3. Glue the plastic circle into the hollowed out slotta base. Then glue a 7/8th inch washer on top of the plastic circle inside the base. Flip the base over and putty up the slot on top. Wait for the putty to dry. The washer provides weight to the base, and gives the base something to attach it to magnet sheet for transport.

4. Mix up some green stuff. Then press it in place on top of the base. Flatten the top on wax paper or other non-stick surface. Trim the excess green stuff from around the edge of the top of the base. (You have to trim that edge a couple times throughout the process.)

5. Press the smooth green stuff topping onto a chunk of concrete you find in your backyard (or garden if you live in the UK). Lift and repeat till you're happy with the surface detail. Do NOT leave the green stuff pressed into the chunk of concrete too long or it will stick to the chunk of concrete.

6. Cut a pattern into the surface with an X-acto knife. Be careful, blood and greens stuff don't mix well.

7. Wait a few minutes. Then follow the X-acto lines with a sculpting tool blade edge to widen the groove.

8. Do one final trim along the edge and that's all there is to it.

There are many better ways of doing this, I'm sure. And not everyone needs washers sunk into their slotta-bases like I do. I'm sure there are a number of real sculptors who are cringing at this process, and I can't blame them. This is my first sculpting project. I'm just showing off how I make these bases. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:31:59 AM by Michka »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »
Yep...that's a lot of friggin' work.  lol

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
There are many better ways of doing this, I'm sure. And not everyone needs washers sunk into their slotta-bases like I do. I'm sure there are a number of real sculptors who are cringing at this process, and I can't blame them. This is my first sculpting project. I'm just showing off how I make these bases.
Well honestly i dont see it as a lot of work. 8 steps for sure, but a lot of work, not really.
I would love to hear from "real" sculptors on alternate ways. And i say it because you dont seem to think yours is a real way. I say kudos to you and enjoyed it. Looks good to me and as a first  project you should be damned pleased.

Grimm

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
That's cool. Did you ever think of making a press mold for it. Pinkysil putty would work well, you would just need to make one large cobblestone area, make an impression of it in the pinkysil putty (it's a silicone based putty for small casts) then you could use it for a huge amount of bases. A little bit of a cheat way I guess though and probably a bit more expensive.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
I was just talking to a friend about using press-mold to make bases. At first I wasn't interested. Now I'm warming up to the idea. I might be making dungeon floor tiles for a terrain project, and it would save a lot of time if I didn't have to sculpt every single floor tile.