Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 01:31:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696382
  • Total Topics: 118763
  • Online Today: 494
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's fantasy projects. (Totems & Throne, the Final Chapter 4/18/15)  (Read 55721 times)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: Michka's fantasy projects. (Fort Rannick basement, ROTR 1-26-15)
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »
This whole thread is fantastic. I love the diversity of miniatures on show, and your terrain is brilliant.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2015, 01:43:52 AM »
Fantastic scenery! I love the 2.5d work you've done. It has a neat old-school vibe while being a great excuse to use more minis.

Jevenkah

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2015, 06:32:29 AM »
Thank you Beefcake.  'Goopiness' is the perfect description of that look.  Consider it appropriated.  (I had to teach my tablet the word 'Goopiness' just now, because 'Goofiness' does not mean the same thing.)

Thank You Duke Donald.  I'm enjoying terrain making more then I ever have before.

Thank you Jerenkah. I will never have the impressive, high quality set up you have.  That said, using the 2.5D method means I can come up with something new fairly quickly. That's a good thing for my RPG group. 

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2015, 03:13:33 AM »
And now for the next chapter of the Hook Mountain Massacre...

We start with the top of the dam known as Skull's Crossing.

The gaps in the dam caused much enjoyment (for the GM), as the wet, slick surface and missing ledge meant anyone who got to close to the edge ran the risk of falling off the side. At least half the party did go over the edge at one time or another.

And here is a rough approximation of the cover of the module. The human character figures are stand-ins for the player characters, as those are at the house we game at.

After defeating the ogres the characters head off to the building at the center of the dam.

and here is a shot of the building with some characters for scale.

I wasn't happy with the way the building turned out. The bottoms warped on me. I have an idea why it did this (Two different styles of foam core), but it was a lot of work for such a short encounter. The dam worked out much better, and for half the effort. There's a lesson here. Oh, and I made the building and dam at the wrong scale. I didn't figure this out till I was sitting at the gaming table.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Michka's fantasy projects. (Skull's Crossing, ROTR 1-28-15)
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2015, 03:32:30 AM »
The Ogres look like they are enjoying themselves. AND the dam & house look TERRIFIC. GREAT STUFF!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2015, 05:37:49 AM »
Thank you DeafNala. The ogres were the miniatures I was most looking forward to painting. Between the metal Reaper minis, the collectible ones, and a couple Reaper Bones to beef up their numbers, I painted something like ten of these guys just for this module. Maybe when I'm finished running the module I'll do a shot of all the miniatures I used for each chapter.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2015, 06:04:02 AM »
Maybe when I'm finished running the module I'll do a shot of all the miniatures I used for each chapter.
LOL he says "maybe" like he has a choice in the matter. :-)
Of course you gots to do this. I personally, and i know i am NOT alone, and others will of course love to see the denizens of these adventures all lined up like good little boys and girls.

Grimm

Offline verd

• Scientist
    • El Senyor Verd
« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »
Excellent work all around !!!!  :-*

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2015, 05:25:27 AM »
Thank you Grimm. Looks like I have something to look forward to. And Thank you Verd.

I just realized I hadn't posted pictures of the Ettin sculpt I did for this chapter of the Hook Mountain Massacre. Here it is...

and one for scale.

He's not the most sophisticated sculpting I've ever done, but the end result was so creepy I had to keep it. I've also got to W.I.P. shots.

It's my typical Super-Sculpey base with Green Stuff details. I added brass rod to one of the clubs. They look nice and shape that way. The downside is they are actually sharp. I've stuck my finger on them a couple times.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Michka's fantasy projects. (Ettin Sculpt, ROTR 1-30-15)
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2015, 06:21:33 AM »
Fantastic. Your gaming group better realise how lucky they are.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »
The Ettin is WONDERFULLY creepy with a DELIGHTFULLY dim witted expression(s). He/they remind me of Sloth from The Goonies. GREAT WORK!
Now I'm starting to miss my long ago AD&D days.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2015, 04:59:03 PM »
Thank you Von Lucky. I half my group seem to enjoy the extra work and half really don't care. I think they'd rather be playing something else. At least I'm having fun.

Thank you DeafNala. The Sloth look was what I saw when I made him. Originally I planned to add green stuff details to the face, but when this look showed up I couldn't bring myself to change it.

I didn't even plan to make the Ettin. I was going to buy a Reaper figure over the weekend to paint for the game. I forgot to get it, so I just tried to whip something up in the two days I had. Now I'm filled with the feeling I can make anything. (That's not true, but I won't believe it till I make something awful and embarrass myself.)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2015, 12:28:28 AM »
The terrain and miniatures for the next installment of Hook Mountain Massacre are still at the house we game at, so no progress there. Instead I have a lovely picture of a side project.

Many years ago, I told my wife her Christmas present was going to be late. I said her Pasta Weasel was taking longer to arrive then expected. Since then we have joked about the Pasta Weasel often. She regularly asks when the Pasta Weasel is going to show up. I decided this year, for her birthday, I was going to make a Pasta Weasel. And here it is...

The Weasel is sculpted out of Super Sculpey and a bit of Green Stuff. The Pasta is also made from long strands of Super Sculpey. The bowl was purchased from Good Will for 49 cents. I ended up painting the weasel first. Then I made a bed of pasta for the weasel to sit in. Then I made individual noodles that would lay across the weasel to sell  that the critter squirms around in the pasta, ensuring that all the noodles are equally covered in butter. The pasta, some of the bowl and some of the weasel were coated with acrylic gloss coat to give it that wet look. Here are a couple more shots of the thing.

I am happy to say that my wife actually likes her new Pasta Weasel. She told me I could say that.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Michka's fantasy projects. (Wife's Birthday Gift 2-14-15)
« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2015, 01:01:43 AM »
lol Inspiring.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Michka's fantasy projects. (Wife's Birthday Gift 2-14-15)
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2015, 01:43:57 AM »
lol Inspiring.

...agreed! That is an UBERCOOL creation & gift! VERY WELL & IMAGINATIVELY DONE!