Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:55:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Elbows' Fantasy Thread : Warhammer Quest!  (Read 33907 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Elbows' Fantasy Thread : Warhammer Quest!
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »
DISCLAIMER: I do not have patience when painting...so I paint quickly...and...dip everything.  Do no expect anything fancy here.  It's all about speed.

Well, I've been burning a lot of midnight oil the past month or two starting to gather...plan...acquire...paint a dungeon crawl project.  There are two goals here.

1) Acquire a suitable dungeon and miniatures for use with any number of dungeon crawl games currently available...
2) Slowly build a WHQ-esque dungeon crawl game for running at conventions.

Pardon the poor photography - I've a mediocre camera and even more mediocre lighting, etc.  Here is the start to goal number 1:

Mantic Ghouls for use as ghouls, zombies etc.

Games Workshop LOTR Orcs for use as Goblins or additional orcs.

Men-at-Arms (to serve as mercenaries, bad guys, allies, town guard etc.) from a mix of Gripping Beast and Fireforge bits.

Wargames Factory Orcs....as...orcs.

Repainted Heroscape Troll.

Repainted D&D/Heroscape Ogre (recovered from a bad dipping accident when it had turned to goop without my knowledge...love the figure, shame he was ruined)

Wargames Factory skeletons with some Mantic bits thrown in.

The adventure party (or characters who might serve double as bad guys...) so far.  Otherworld in front, Reaper (giants) in back.

A recovered D&D Bugbear...have several more of these on the way, a big pain in the butt - many of the sculpts are terrible and the paint is even worse.

I have a host of other miniatures assembled/primed and ready to continue.  The roadblock currently is the bugbears as I don't like painting them.  I keep sitting down...and then wandering away from my painting station.

I have assembled a rather substantial amount of Dwarven Forge dungeonry and have spent a lot of time painting up my gametiles kickstarter as well as repainting doors, and filling bowtie gaps on the older sets.  Eventually I will post some glamour shots of in-game action.  Thanks for lookin'.

Continued later...

+Large pictures and some more info on my blog (brand new): http://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:29:59 PM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Elbows Fantasy Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
Mods, please delete one of these threads...not sure why it double posted.

Cheers.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Elbows' Fantasy Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »
An excellent start there - I actually really like the ogres/bugbears etc. that you say were spoiled. Can't find anything wrong with them. All are nicely painted for tabletop standard - mostly better than what I can achieve, so keep plugging on with the collection.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »
 Great selection of miniatures.Like the burnt look on the Ghouls/zombies too.

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:52:56 PM »
Great selection of miniatures.Like the burnt look on the Ghouls/zombies too.

Yeah I agree. Those first few pics look really cool.

I don't know why you're so down on your painting. I think they all look solid.

Offline Kyusumu

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 10:50:54 PM »
Great job on these!  I think your brush work looks fantastic  :)

I also have a huge pile of Game Tiles that I'm slowly chipping away at  o_o
When fighting the thousand, you must still defeat them one at a time.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 11:30:52 PM »
Thanks for the kind words...the disclaimer was more intended to immediately let the reader know this isn't a Captain Blood kinda thread...lower those standards a bit before proceeding.  lol  I'm actually fine with my paintwork, as I've always painted very simple (block painting...some dry brush..dip...finish the base) because while I don't mind painting, I have zero stamina for it.  I can do maybe 3-5 guys a night if I'm lucky.  And as mentioned they all look fine while standing over a tabletop, and that's really my goal.

I finished my DF gametiles kickstarter purchase, but I only had two sets (plus the free stuff) so it wasn't a gigantic project.  It was a little tiring but I managed to find a colour set which let me get away with two colours only, and they match up well enough with the older DF stuff.  My blog and this thread will be featuring a large catalogue of DF pieces at some point.  I also bought the Hero Quest 25th kickstarter, so if that ever shows up the pieces will be put into use for my dungeon.  Though at this rate I'll have an entire dungeon's worth of stuff before that ever shows up.

Anyone have advice on quality (reasonably priced) dungeon dressings?  Is Thomarillion pretty much the go to?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:35:30 PM »
Nice work. They look great. I took me a while to click to the Reaper (giants) bit though.  lol

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 12:36:23 AM »
You have a LOVELY array of miniatures there; all SPLENDIDLY painted. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »
These look really good. I like the look of your ghouls and orcs, and the PCs have a lot of character. This should be a very nice looking game when you're finished, and you're most of the way there already.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
Looks like a fantastic assembly of bad guys for PCs to wrangle with. I'd be happy to sit down at that table and roll! Love to see some action pix when that happens.

I really like the skin tone on the troll. Very gross.

Jevenkah

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 05:15:26 PM »
Great Work. As you said not the best paint ever but very good for tabletop.

One lesson learnt for me, Reaper and Otherworld don't mix very well together.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 06:17:45 PM »
 If you are looking for furniture and such for your dungeons you could try Ainsty CAstings and Fenris Games.They have some great pieces in thier ranges to add a bit of flavour to your dungeon.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »
Nice take on that D&D ogre. Mine is, coincidentally, being repainted in almost a mirror scheme – grey fur, tan flesh. Nice solution on the axehead as well – large without being comical (as the original sculpt is). The men-at-arms are great – really nice, simple kitbashing after my own heart!
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »
Thanks guys,

Yeah the last figure is the D&D bugbear, and I happened to have a couple sprues of the Reaper weapons which are...comically huge by comparison to normal miniatures.  I've made good use of them with the Bugbears though since they're rather stout fellows.

Here are some work in progress pics:

This shows the scale of the Ogre

This shows another Bugbear with one of the Reaper maces...next to a normal Otherworld miniature.  I'm not entirely sure how they expected anyone other than huge creatures to use the weapons...

Some gathered Bugbear conversions

I've also invested a rather decent sum into a number of "Really Useful Boxes" to store my DF kits and the additional stuff, as well as gametiles.

Some DF kickstarter "demon doors" painted

DF kickstarter normal doors painted

I went through and repainted all of the door bases and frames from the original DF doors...next step is to remove the actual doors and paint them all...ick.  lol

Some loot and pillars.  I stopped taking pics because I can't light the photos enough for some reason.  I'll remedy that somehow.

DWARVEN FORGE DISCLAIMER!!!
Just so people are aware my stuff came unpainted so the painted stuff you see is done by me, it's not factory painted.  I didn't want anyone ordering factory painted stuff thinking it looks like mine (I haven't seen the factory painted stuff and can't say anything about the paintwork, colours, or quality).  :)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:09:06 PM by Elbows »