Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:22:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694543
  • Total Topics: 118615
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Elbows' Fantasy Thread : Warhammer Quest!  (Read 34053 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Elbows' Fantasy Thread (Bad guys and Good Guys, page 4...)
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
Very nice. The feathers turned out really well.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »
Yeah....i dig the way you dip  8)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2014, 09:30:37 PM »
 lol  Getting the whole griffin body in that little can was...interesting.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »
I wondered off the well trodden OW trail and took a dive into Fantasy land (I've just joined my first RPG game in years, Pathfinder) and you have some very very cool minis as usual here Elbows  :D. Only done one Fantasy mini in my life, might post a picture.

My painting has been much easier (although strangely enough I paint even less now these days) since I discovered Army Painter. I've dipped about 100 DC Heroclix (no repaint whatsoever, just dip) and they looked a lot better straight up, but when I've painted a mini I prefer to just brush on.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2014, 10:03:34 PM »
Yep, I've been rather pleased.  You'll see when I do large batches some spots show up where dip congealed etc.  But I've dipped all my OW, all my gladiators and all of my fantasy folks and been chuffed with it.  Block painting + dry brushing + dip + flat + a bit of work on making the bases look nice = absolutely fine by me.  I told a buddy of mine who said my minis have been looking better and better --- it's no more skill, I'm just learning how to cheat better.

lol  I do have issues keeping my dip from getting too thick.  I use some mineral spirits to thin it, and I need to better secure my pots I guess.  Even at $25 I still get a ton of miniatures done even if I use have the can.  I also have some wood finish to try --- it'd be great if I can find a good one which works as well.  Between their amazing primers, sprays and dips...I'm an army painter fan for sure.  Nothing like priming/spraying and being able to paint within the time it takes me to walk back upstairs.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
The Lads both large & small look WONDERFUL...FINE additions to your collection. Brushwork & basing are VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Anttipa

• Assistant
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Nice work, I like the earthen tones and the bit dirty look of the adventurers. They look rather... medieval :) The big guys look very good too.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2014, 01:18:09 AM »
Curious...I've been enjoying my childhood favourite audio-book, "The Black Cauldron" based on Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain.  I'd like to assemble a few key bits so that I could reimagine the story or at least the setting.

I don't imagine anyone ever made a notPrydain series of minis.  Anyone have ideas for the following?

The Horned King (I think I could kitbash this easily enough...)

The Disney version would be fine also.

Kinda like this iteration.

Gurgi (small furry creature)

And who makes decent Wyverns?  Everything else is easy and common to cover.  Oh and I suppose I could use a quality pig and a suitably large impressive cauldron... lol

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
One of those reminds me of PPs lord of the feast, but I would probably jsut get hold of a new GW wild rider torso, a skull, some dryad bits for the horns and greenstuff the "legs" if it were me.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Elbows' Fantasy Thread (Lizardmen!)
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2014, 09:04:59 PM »
Painted up seven DHL Classics Lizardmen from Reaper.  I rushed the paintjob and while I'm not stoked with it - I find them very acceptable.  I have an eighth model I'm not using because it's a stupid sculpt, and a ninth model which is going to be a different looking "leader" model for them.  The final "tribe" will be eight models.

Again excuse the lighting - taking pictures in the daylight ruins my lighting set-up...I may take better pics eventually.

Ordered up two Pathfinder Wyverns to start my Gwythaints as well...and placed a hefty order with Thomarillion to begin the process of filling the dungeon.  Eventually I plan to add a large photo diary of Dwarven Forge kit as well to my blog...eventually.  Starting back to work tonight after a summer's break so my updates will be less frequent.  But the dungeon is about 95 models strong at the moment!

PS: Added a quick and simple "how to" to show how I've done all of my miniatures.  Nothing fancy, but could be some useful tips for beginners or people just getting into painting...allows a good result with relatively little time invested.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:11:20 PM by Elbows »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
Very nice. I really need to get into my painting mode again. Those are very cool.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2014, 01:21:41 PM »
Nice!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »
I'm not for some reason or other a big fan of Lizard Guys; HOWEVER, than Gang of Reptiles look OUTSTANDING...I love the skin/hide colors. GREAT WORK!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2014, 06:50:36 PM »
Funny you should say that - I'm not a particularly large fan of Lizardmen myself.  I'm just trying to cover all my bases.  While we're on the subject - anyone suggest any non-GW ratmen?  I also need to replace a Minotaur I didn't like... lol

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
Curious...I've been enjoying my childhood favourite audio-book, "The Black Cauldron" based on Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain.  I'd like to assemble a few key bits so that I could reimagine the story or at least the setting.

I don't imagine anyone ever made a notPrydain series of minis.  Anyone have ideas for the following?

The Horned King (I think I could kitbash this easily enough...)

The Disney version would be fine also.

Kinda like this iteration.

Gurgi (small furry creature)

And who makes decent Wyverns?  Everything else is easy and common to cover.  Oh and I suppose I could use a quality pig and a suitably large impressive cauldron... lol

What about the Northstar Weird Sorcerer for the Horned King?
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=5744
Or the Gamezone Chaos Wizard 2
http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/2020-1-show-chaos_zauberer_ii.html

And maybe the Wendigo from Wyrd as Gurgi
http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/19433-1-show-wendigo_1.html