Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ABC Warriors  (Read 8073 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: ABC Warriors
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
That's brill - thanks.

In my defence, the volgan wars* was all I could immediately put my hands on in Nottingham last Saturday, other than lost tales  ;)

I might have to ally BB and Mek then with some Chaos Muties. Otherwise,  I'd need a whole lot of something or other to take on the ABC Warriors together.

*they are also full colour/high gloss and look fantastic
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:37:20 AM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »
That's brill - thanks.

In my defence, the volgan wars* was all I could immediately put my hands on in Nottingham last Saturday, other than lost tales  ;)

Don't get me wrong - Langley's art is rather nice, even if his onomatopoetica are hard to make out, and there are some rather nice ideas in it - and the gritty reboot of the Volg bots is so much better than their original guise, which cannot belie the nature of 2000AD (and its predecessors) back in the day. I guess the humans look strange in there and that put me off a bit. Uncanny valley or something like that, or a reminder of those awful "photo novellas" that were so popular in the 1980s and 90s.

I might have to ally BB and Mek then with some Chaos Muties. Otherwise,  I'd need a whole lot of something or other to take on the ABC Warriors together.

In the Third Element book, there is a nice piece by Kev Walker featuring de-facto zombies (the Jung Cannibals). So Chaos mutants, in larger numbers, would be fine as well. Also, in the original timeline, there's a couple of hundred, if not thousand years between the first Mars adventures and the re-surfacing of Hammers and the other "survivors" during Termight's war on the Gothic Empire. Basically, there's a lot of stuff that could happen in between, and Blackblood also alludes to some freelance work in "Hellbringer". You could split up the Gang and just have some of them have adventures of their own.

Back before 2000AD separated the Judge Dredd and ABC Warriors universes, there was a story (by Miller and Brashill) that had Hammerstein fighting the Judges as part of President Booth's robot army (Battle of Armageddon in Death Valley, 2071 IIRC). Might be read in conjunction with how an ABC robot ended up in the 95 Dredd movie (although they never call him Hammerstein in that one).

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »
Thanks. Lots of good ideas in there.

"Chaos Mutants in large numbers ...". Now that's the rub. I'm more of a historical gamer and the JD/ABC was a bit of a side project for a small skirmish game.

I have a dozen or so muties but allied to BB and Mek should make a game of it.

Could you recommend a figure for [as near as dammit] Mongrol? I dont have your skills unfortunately.

Cheers, James

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 04:12:01 AM »
Could you recommend a figure for [as near as dammit] Mongrol? I dont have your skills unfortunately.

Cheers, James

Well, as said before on your JD thread iirc, there are some of the Karman Gorillas in powered armour that could work. Scurv mentioned warmachine, where you could use one of the newer plastic warjack kits - I think there is a Khador one with two fists that could be used.

The old Alpha Forge Games (iirc) "demolition droid" has been mentioned a couple of times, but is hard to find and a bit spindly-built.

Another option could use parts of the Mage Knight "Storm Golem" (must ask you to google it since I'm writing this on a tablet) or use the figure itself as a base and bulk up the torso, add a new head and stuff.

It's a real shame that Foundry never finished theirs, if the pic of the green that's been making the rounds on the web is legit.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 06:51:51 AM »
Sorry, i said Mongrol, i was thinking Steelhorn!!   :o

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Sorry, i said Mongrol, i was thinking Steelhorn!!   :o

Ah, no worries!

I actually got this guy with the intention of converting him to a Volg-era Steelhorn:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/golem/latest/14122

Head needs some work, although you could just add some GW Khorne warriors "winglets" from their helmets. Plus of course the hammer. Not really suitable for the Avatar of Medusa, though.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 10:05:36 AM »
Roger that. Muchos!

Been looking at the Khador WarJacks for Mongrol  :D

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »
Too much "metal"?

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/privateer-press/warmachine/khador/warjacks/kodiak-heavy-warjack-of-reknown/prod_3464.html

A bit angular, but close enough. The spikes would probably have to go, and getting rid of the exhaust rack would be a pain (I assume it is a metal model, not one of their plastic thingies?). Maybe remove the pelvis plate, too, if it is possible, for a more spindly appearance.

You could also possibly combine a Khador heavy jack's torso and arms with a Cygnar light jack's leg part - I seem to recall the latter ones are less pointy and might look similar to Mongrol's.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »
Thanks Chris.

I'm going to get the rest of the team painted and then ponder Mongrol/Steelhorn

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
Mek-Quake
"Demolition Droid"

+6 Armour [230 pts

Mek, a power plant and a large adjustable spanner; what could possibly go wrong ...?

NB. i'll update his profile [weapons]

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »
Blackblood
"Assassinator Droid"

Club, Laser Pistol, Spit Gun.

Special Rules: Flight Pack* [195 pts]

*needs some thought. May strip this out for an increase in a characteristic

I'm going to make the Warriors Heroes under the JDMG rules and give them appropriate Talents. Twin Shooter looks promising ...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »
Nice work! Maybe pick out the tubing on Mek-Quake in a different colour, to add some definition? Either a black/grey/anthracite wash, or a "popping" colour like blue or red.

Regarding Blackblood:

I'd get rid of the flight capacity, too, and probably replace it with the "Sneaky Does It" base skill (Stealthy) and the Dual Shooter base skill.

Hammerstein, on the other hand, does have flight (or jump) jets mounted to his waist, so the flight pack might be more suitable there.

I'd really need to sit down and take a closer look at the rules. I had recently considered using WH40k 2ed to play 2000AD, but the JD rules might provide more interaction and, using the talents, more flavour.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »
Noted and understood - thanks.

I'm colourblind so forget sometimes about contrast.  Mek has some lovely new red tubing.

Again, thank you for the heads up on Hamm.  I saw that he flew in the VW episodes but wasnt sure if that was a general ability of his.

Blackblood - v. nice call. As I mentioned, the Warriors will be at least Level 1 heroes with Talents tailored to suit.

Painting up H at the moment.

Best, James

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 08:37:19 AM »
Bazzinga!!   lol

You're right of course, and i suppose that each Warrior should be in the region of 1000+ points. For now, i'll keep them around the 4/500pt mark to make them playable in reasonable sized games