Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Onwards & upwards!  (Read 6885 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: Onwards & upwards!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 12:31:12 AM »
I refer the honourable member to the Junior Minister for Publication Mr Smith  ;)

Being unable to reach Junior Minister Smith, or otherwise gain satisfaction via various futile attempts at communication with the Ministry of Publication, the honourable member has been forced to lodge formal complaint with the Ministry of Compliance within the Department for Culture, Media, Sport, and Other Such Nonsense (DCMSOSN). The honourable member has been promised by said Ministry of said Department that suitable inquiries will be made into this serious matter sometime, perhaps, in the next decade. Or two. Or whenever. I felt it only fair and sporting, Sir, to warn you of this impending government action.
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »
Right now, my only teo quibbles (both minor) is treating the katsna as a regular sword and no Indian figure using the chakram.

The Katana is just a sword folks, get over it  :o

As for Indian chaps throwing a chakhram it is throwing knife, just like shuriken are  :D
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »

As for Indian chaps throwing a chakhram it is throwing knife, just like shuriken are  :D

Aaaaah, Craig, everybody wants their super weapon to be special!   ;)   lol

Like the reata...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »

I was thinking more of hand-and-a-half swords in general (although the katana is the best known example of that type and probably the most common by the 1890's). Say +1 to cost for a +1 increase to the attack bonus if used two-handed.

Oh, I figured it would be treated as a thrown knife (aren't most thrown weapons? ;) ). I was just commenting on no Indian figure having chakrams as equipment.
Brandon

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 07:41:05 PM »
<snip>
 We are also looking at publishing genre packs to allow you to use the IHMN core rules in a wide range of genres/periods.
<snip>
What about the mid-18th C.? The rules are certainly suitable for adventures of the type(s) sometimes referred to by the (somewhat controversial) names of Lacepulp / Lacepunk or described as 'weird 18th C. / Gothic Horror. Many suggestions for companies come to mind: the 2nd League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the ancestor of Torchwood, and movies set in various periods provide plenty of inspiration for new companies.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 02:40:45 AM »
What about the mid-18th C.? The rules are certainly suitable for adventures of the type(s) sometimes referred to by the (somewhat controversial) names of Lacepulp / Lacepunk or described as 'weird 18th C. / Gothic Horror. Many suggestions for companies come to mind: the 2nd League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the ancestor of Torchwood, and movies set in various periods provide plenty of inspiration for new companies.

We are consistent, no?

You with the Mid-18th Century and Me with the Spanish...

Nothing wrong with that iMO just an observation (based on a comment in another thread about maybe trying Andorra Militia...  ;)   lol and all...) that we may deviate but we have our core "Holy Grail" of gaming...

On Topic, IHMN is just a century or so later so adjustments would be do-able IMO.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »
It strikes me from the comments so far that people are agreed that IHMN has the viability to be a universal rules engine provided it is kept lighthearted.

Using the base of the original rules I am sure that it could be modified  to cover every kind of 'pulp punk' from Nile Punk to SF Punk. The key would be to get the flavour of the period and adapt the rules and equipment to reflect this. Who is to say that you could have a band of space mercenaries called the Incorrigibles or an ancient Egyptian faction led by the human pharaoh Akhnaton?

It has been been done in RPG systems.

One book per period times the number of historical periods plus some fantasy and mythos, there, thats Craig and Charles in employment for a few years!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2014, 01:53:30 PM »
One book per period times the number of historical periods plus some fantasy and mythos, there, thats Craig and Charles in employment for a few years!

Haven't you heard of Daisho?  lol

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »
Haven't you heard of Daisho?  lol

There you are only another 119 to go...

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 03:54:18 PM »
And IHMN Gothic... :o

Honestly though there are so many genres we couldn't possibly hit them all. Well not while staying sane anyway  :)

One thing we are committed to doing is to begin creating and releasing what we call genre packs. This gives you the basic rules and material with which to develop your own companies in various genres. So, for example, a genre pack will include an armoury, possibly a bestiary, a few genre-specific talents and powers, some scenarios, complicators and landscapes. We have a couple under development and will get back around to them when Gothic is finished.

These will, of course, be free and will be released through the blog.