Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:16:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Airbrush compressor help!  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Airbrush compressor help!
« on: June 27, 2014, 02:22:22 AM »
So, I went out and bought a Badger TC910 Aspire Pro airbrush compressor recently, along with a Badger Patriot 105 airbrush in order to start learning the mysteries of airbrushing.  The problem is, I can't even get started because I cannot connect the airbrush hose to the compressor!

The adapter that came with installed with the TC910 does not fit the Patriot air hose.  There is a separate adapter which does fit, but I cannot for the life of me remove the other adaptor from the air regulator.

Perhaps a photo will help?

The top photo shows the male end of the adapter which fits the airbrush hose.  The bottom picture shows the female end of the bespoke adaptor.  I though perhaps it would fit on the male end of the installed adapter, but it does not.  The adapter on the air regulator looks like it might even have some glue holding it in place as well.  I have tried several wrenches and ratchets to no avail.  I assume it should be removable, but I do not want to break the compressor trying to take the stupid thing off...

Perhaps there are some airbrush gurus frequenting the forum who might have some advice??  I can't really show you any of my airbrush progress without getting the setup up and running!
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Airbrush compressor help!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »
I am not familiar with that particular compressor but from the pics it looks a similar set up to mine.  I would say the male fitting is permanently fixed to the unit and should not be removed.  I am very surprised the supplied connector does not fit if they are both badger but hoses do come in various sizes, when I got a second brush the hose was completely wrong and I had to get another hose and in fact ended up swapping the connector for the brush end as that was a different size too.

Compressor end seams to be 1/4 or 1/8" from my experience
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
how do you determine the size  being 1/4"or 1/8"", etc?  Is it by the outside diameter of the threads?  The inside diameter of the adapter or what?

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »
That does look like a 1/4" adapter on the compressor. According to the manual I found, however, it says it should be 1/8", with a 1/4" adapter. However, this Amazon review describes the same problem you're having.

You can get adapters to step down between 1/8" and 1/4" - Amazon UK link, so that may be the easiest route.

The threading is bsp, and this wikipedia article may help. It suggests it's the outer diameter nowadays.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
I am thinking that the adapter that is in my hand in the photo is 1/4"... I was looking at some plumbing fittings in my hardware store, seeing if I could find something that works, and it seemed to match the 1/4" ones.  I have no idea what size the adapter on the compressor is... it is too small to fit the female threads of the connector that fits my air hose which came with the airbrush and is definitely larger than 1/8". The hose with the airbrush I assume is 1/8" at one end and 1/4" at the other end.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »
Searching your model online it appears the output is a standard 1/4 inch NPS male connection.

Does this review help?

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/badger-tc910-compressor-review

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
I feel like the 1/4 NPS is the connection of the extra adapter that was included. I have emailed badger to see if they have any suggestions.  I hear they have good customer service, so hopefully I will get it figured out soon enough.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
Hose and pipe threads... Fittings... grrrrr... >:(

I think Svenn has it; that should be straight thread on the 'tool' side of the moisture trap.
Threading onto the airbrush itself is also straight, so the airbrush hose is likely fitted with straight thread and gaskets at both ends.

Tapered thread counts on the interference between the two pieces creating a seal. I'm pretty sure tapered thread joins are not meant to be repeatedly undone, or disconnected, like an airbrush or pneumatic tool would be, so straight thread and gaskets make sense here.

Also, consider adding a quick connect to your set-up. Lovely things.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 05:40:40 PM »
I think badger makes a multipack of couplings.  If you look it up on Amazon, UK or US, you can find them.  That's where I got mine.  I needed a step-down from the compressor to the hose also.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:47 PM »
Also, consider adding a quick connect to your set-up. Lovely things.

I second this whole-heartily!  You can even cut the foam on your case to allow space for the coupler!

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 01:31:09 AM »
A quick update.. I took the extra adapter to my local home depot.  It seemed to be almost the same as the 1/8-1/4 couplers found in the plumbing section.  On closer inspection, the one from the hardware store seemed to have a slightly smaller diameter in the female end than the one with my compressor.  When I took a male 1/8 pipe connector to try it in, it fit in both the airbrush adapter and the plumbing fitting. 

I bought the plumbing piece, brought it home, and lo and behold, it fits to both the compressor and my airbrush hose.  There is some air leaking, but there is currently no gasket or teflon tape, so I think I can fix that.

It would seem to me that the adapter sent with the compressor was stripped on the inside perhaps?  When I compare the two, the threads on the badger adapter are very shallow compared to the threads on the plumbing connector.  This would explain why the badger adapter would slide onto the outlet but not thread on.

I haven't heard much back from badger, just one email to ask me a question which I had explained clearly in my initial email.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 07:51:28 PM »
Ok, so using the plumbing fitting from my hardware store and a copious application of teflon tape, it seems I have the fitting sorted out for now.

My next issue, where the hose attaches to the air pump, there is a ball fitting with the nut that can swivel, as seen in this internet photo, the one on the left:

I am getting air leaking where the nut head meets the round brass piece, as there is no rubber there.  How do you stop this?  Will having the air pressure from the regulator too high cause this to happen?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »
Just an update, I dialed the pressure down to 10psi for the airbrush, and it was still leaking on the hose end.  It would take about 3 minutes of non-use to drain the tank enough to make the pump kick back on, so its workable, just not ideal.  How can I seal that part of the attachment?

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me.  May I ask, what kind of hose did you buy?  Badger?  I bought a cheapo (saved 5 bucks) and it leaked from that site constantly.  I bought a new Badger hose and it fixed itself.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 10:20:15 PM »
It is the hose that came with my badger patriot 105...