Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Overwatch questions  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Sevya

• Student
Overwatch questions
« on: July 02, 2014, 12:53:50 AM »
I just got my first game of ViDe-FC in today.  My opponent and I both like the rules.  It plays faster than even the Starship Troopers we has been playing.  A couple of questions came up about Overwatch, though.

1) Does a squad loose overwatch if it becomes shaken? 

2) If I have a weapon with 1 Use/Turn, do can I fire it with an action before going on overwatch, then as my overwatch action?  Or, does the overwatch shot count as the one use for the turn?

Sevya

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: Overwatch questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
I just got my first game of ViDe-FC in today.  My opponent and I both like the rules.  It plays faster than even the Starship Troopers we has been playing. 
Thanks and welcome aboard!

A couple of questions came up about Overwatch, though.

1) Does a squad loose overwatch if it becomes shaken? 
2) If I have a weapon with 1 Use/Turn, do can I fire it with an action before going on overwatch, then as my overwatch action?  Or, does the overwatch shot count as the one use for the turn?

A 1 – Yes, see P.16 5.1. “Shaken units may only take Move or regroup actions.” So no Overwatch!

A 2 – Good catch! Depends. If the Overwatch action is taken in a game turn after the initial shot was fired a U/T 1 weapon may be fired on Overwatch.
Example: A mid tech infantry unit shoots with its Missile Launcher as its 1st action. Its 2nd and 3rd action is used to go into Overwatch. Later in the same game turn the unit is shot at by an enemy tank unit. Since the U/T 1 weapon cannot be used, the controlling player decides to not use the Overwatch action.
At the beginning of the next game turn the same unit is shot again, this time the Missile Launcher is useable again and the controlling player decides to use the Overwatch action to shoot back.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Sevya

• Student
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
Thank you for the prompt answers.  I have a follow-up question to question 1.  If a unit on overwatch takes fire and becomes shaken, do they then loose the opportunity to shoot back?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
Q: If a unit on overwatch takes fire and becomes shaken, do they then loose the opportunity to shoot back?
A: Yes. See 7.7. Overwatch P. 22 "Whenever an enemy unit completes a Shoot action against...".
And since checking to see if the enemy unit becomes Shaken is part of the Shoot action (see P.27 "Check if enemy unit becomes Shaken") the Overwatch is lost.

Offline Sevya

• Student
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »
That's what I thought.  Thank you.