Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:58:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686650
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [MAYHEM] Armies of Mayhem  (Read 4559 times)

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
[MAYHEM] Armies of Mayhem
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:56:36 PM »

'Build me an army worth of Mayhem!'

Bombshell Games has harnessed the power of BattleScribe to make building your armies, strongholds, and keeps easier than it's ever been before. 'What is this BattleScribe you speak of?' you ask.

BattleScribe is a fast and powerful army list creator for tabletop wargamers. It allows you to quickly and easily create army lists while validating your points limits and army selections so you can see if you’ve made any mistakes, and the easy-to-read output will summarize your units’ profiles and special rules for quick reference. You can download it for free from BattleScribe.net. That's right- it's free! :)

Once you have BattleScribe, head over to Wargame Vault and download the Armies of Mayhem file pack. Inside, you'll find the BATTLE CHEST. This is one large list that contains profiles for various fantasy units, creatures, and races that can be built using the rules found in the Battle Chest Edition of Mayhem. These units follow all the unit construction rules found in the book. There are over 100 unique profiles that include: Dark Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, High Elves, Human Empire, Lizardmen, Monstrous Creatures, Orcs, Pirates, Keeps, Siege Engines, Strongholds, Undead, and Woodland Elves.

As if that wasn't enough, the download also contains the ARMIES OF MAYHEM. This collection features armies that are inspired by various miniature lines, fiction, legends, and folklore. These lists play with the game balance a bit, feature units that break the creation rules found in the book, and include army specific rules and bonuses.

Armies of Mayhem is being made available as 'Pay what you want'. Enjoy!
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Barbarian

• Librarian
Re: [MAYHEM] Armies of Mayhem
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »
Anyone has made any historical lists ?

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:46:07 PM »
Anyone has made any historical lists ?
Are you looking for any particular period or specific army list?

Offline Barbarian

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »
I don't really know.
Generic medieval should be easy.
Or Renaissance...Italian Wars.
Using another rule lists (Warmaster for example), it would be a matter of having every troop type right.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:14:12 AM »
For medieval, I would personally use an 'Age of Empires 2' approach.  ;)

By that, I mean that I would create a universal profile for all of the different basic troop types [foot, light cavalry, scout cavalry, heavy cavalry, etc.] to be used by all armies, and arm them with the appropriate weapon types. I would then create unique signature units for each specific army where appropriate. Examples of this would be things like Samurai for the Japanese, Longbowmen for the Britons, and Woad Raiders for the Celts. The rules for leaders and elite units would allow you to model the various personalities and regiments of renown from history.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:22 AM »
Is there a good, in depth review of the rule system?  I am interested in a good mass battle game.  My search-fu has been weak.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
Is there a good, in depth review of the rule system?  I am interested in a good mass battle game.  My search-fu has been weak.

Here are a couple of reviews of the core edition that didn't include the rules for magic, strongholds, campaigns, siege engines, or the advanced hero rules:
Mayhem review 1
Mayhem review 2

Some design discussion:
Decision points

Here are some battle reports that can give you an idea of how the game plays and some impressions [in no particular order]:
The Baron creates some Mayhem
The Baron creates some Mayhem 2.0
Battle For Harrison's Ford
Something wicked this way comes...
Mayhem as a skirmish game? ;)

There's also a BattleScribe army builder file available [BattleScribe is free!].
Armies of Mayhem

Hope this helps! :D

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »
That's excellent, thanks a lot.  It seems like a great system.  I am definitely interested in giving the rules a shot. 

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »
Just how flexible are the unit design rules?

Fantasy isnt really my *thing*, but I've got an idea for a force - subterainian half giants with powerful handcannons, and terrifying steam-charriots...  ;)

MM.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
That's excellent, thanks a lot.  It seems like a great system.  I am definitely interested in giving the rules a shot.
Glad to help! ;)

Just how flexible are the unit design rules?

Fantasy isnt really my *thing*, but I've got an idea for a force - subterainian half giants with powerful handcannons, and terrifying steam-charriots...  ;)

MM.
I would say the design rules are very flexible. It's a point based army construction system in gives you complete control over building your army from the ground up. After creating core profiles and heroes, you have over 60 options at your disposal that can be used for equipment and upgrades in the core rules alone. These include unit designations, weapons, armor, standards, traits, abilities, and gear. There are even more options if you choose to use the Stronghold Expansion material [which is included for free].

Sorcery and magic upgrades are available as well. The sorcery system features spells like blink, magic missile, summons, and time stop. If you use the Stronghold Expansion rules, you also have access to battle sorcerers that can focus their magical powers to control hulking mechanical [or steam ;)] constructs or harness the fury of bound behemoths.

Depending on the scale that your going to play at, you might be interested to know that there are also rules for building your own strongholds and keeps including over 15 upgrades to create the ultimate battle fortress.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 01:17:07 PM »
Glad to help! ;)
I would say the design rules are very flexible. It's a point based army construction system in gives you complete control over building your army from the ground up. After creating core profiles and heroes, you have over 60 options at your disposal that can be used for equipment and upgrades in the core rules alone. These include unit designations, weapons, armor, standards, traits, abilities, and gear. There are even more options if you choose to use the Stronghold Expansion material [which is included for free].

Sorcery and magic upgrades are available as well. The sorcery system features spells like blink, magic missile, summons, and time stop. If you use the Stronghold Expansion rules, you also have access to battle sorcerers that can focus their magical powers to control hulking mechanical [or steam ;)] constructs or harness the fury of bound behemoths.

Depending on the scale that your going to play at, you might be interested to know that there are also rules for building your own strongholds and keeps including over 15 upgrades to create the ultimate battle fortress.

Sounds promising. What are the basing conventions? My stuff is all on 40mm squares, and I'd really would rather not re-base them, again.

Offline Barbarian

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
Basing convention for littel scales (6-10-15) mm is 40mm x 40mm.
How convenient is this ?

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 05:08:28 PM »
Basing convention for littel scales (6-10-15) mm is 40mm x 40mm.
How convenient is this ?

Sounds like I've found my rules-set!

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »
Sounds like I've found my rules-set!
8)