Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:36:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Verdun and the Senegalese Tirailleurs  (Read 4404 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Verdun and the Senegalese Tirailleurs
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »
Hi all,

Was inspired to find out some more about Verdun (and the involvement of the 'Senagalese' Tirailleurs) by the programme on BBC2 in the UK last Weds, 'The World's War'.  Can anyone recommend some decent books about this?  All suggestions appreciated.

Also, if I wanted to do this in 28mm, which figures would you suggest?

Cheers

James

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/

Offline Infman

• Bookworm
Re: Verdun and the Senegalese Tirailleurs
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »
Roundwood's World has a few Verdun book recommendations.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »
As Phil points out, Woodbine and Forgotten Glorious are the only one's (that I consider to be of the highest quality) that come to mind James.....

Do Brigade Games do some or am I having a senior moment and perhaps thinking of their WWI in North Africa' Brits' and 'Germans' ranges?

Darrell.

Offline Roustam

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »
Hello James,

I'd suggest "The Road to Verdun" by Ian Ousby, a great read and accurate treatment of the battle.
Russ

former user

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »
the harlem hellfighters or any others with helmets from Brigade could be used. I very much doubt that anyone went into the meat grinder without a helmet

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »
Hello James,

I'd suggest "The Road to Verdun" by Ian Ousby, a great read and accurate treatment of the battle.
Russ

Thanks Russ, I'll check that one out.  Much appreciated.

Cheers

James

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
the harlem hellfighters or any others with helmets from Brigade could be used. I very much doubt that anyone went into the meat grinder without a helmet

Thanks, I'll have a look at them.  The pics on the BBC programme certainly showed tirailleurs with Adrian helmets. 

Offline scarabminiatures

• Scientist
    • Scarab Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 07:13:53 PM »
James, not actually watched that programme yet, but sounds like another possible addition to our French range (to join the list of new recruits we already have).  :D

Once I am back from a couple of days in Wales I will take a look through some of my books and see what I have
Kind regards
Rob Broom
ScarabMiniatures
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

Offline jefritrout

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »
One other possibility for figures is ASKARI MINIATURES.  I have just painted up my Senegalese and they paint quite nicely and quickly.

Offline Sidney Roundwood

• Assistant
    • Roundwood's World
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »
Hi James

I've only just seen this thread, otherwise I would have replied sooner.  Apologies!

The best books I have found on Verdun are Ian Ousby's "The Road to Verdun" and Alastair Horne's "The Price of Glory".  There are quite a few books on the French in the First World War, all of which consider Verdun in some depth, but not in the detail of Messrs. Ousby and Horne.

The Tirailleur Senegalaise are a bit more elusive.  There is practically nothing on them in either Horne or Ousby.  The Tirailleurs pay a very memorable, but fleeting, visit in Henri Barbusse's "Under Fire" (which is a great, if harrowing, read and which is available as a Penguin classic - you'll enjoy reading it...if "enjoy" if the right word).

The must read on the Tirailleur Sénégalaise is Richard Fogarty’s “Race and War in France: Colonial Subjects in the French Army, 1914-1918”.  There is not much on Verdun, but the background to the Tirailleurs and the contradictions regarding their service is really excellent.  Dr Fogarty’s book has a lot of reading suggestions, but one which was quite useful was a series of articles by a chap called Joe Lunn at the University of Michigan.  He’s published a couple of books on the oral history of West African soldiers in the First World War, which have some interesting extracts online.

One really interesting read alongside the Tirailleur Sénégalaise is Charles Mangin’s "La Force Noire" from 1910.  You see David Olusoga leafing through an ancient copy in the (terrific) BBC programme “The World’s War”.  The full book is available online here:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k75022x/f4.image.r=tirailleur.langFR

It’s in French (how inconsiderate of General Mangin!), but his writing is pretty clear and well structured.   Chapter III of Book II is interesting, but the real fun starts in Book III when the "martial qualities" of the Senegalese troops are considered.  It’s useful background, I think.

As for figures, you have some good choices. 

The Woodbine Design French are very nice, but they don’t have the field packs and bedding rolls cast on them, which I like and which would probably have been worn generally in action at Verdun.  If you’re doing Tirailleur Sénégalaise storming Fort Douaumont as assault troops, they’d be fine I think. 

The Woodbine Tirailleur Sénégalaise heads are very nice indeed and fit perfectly as head swaps on other figures.  My current preference is to match the Brigade Games French infantry (sculpted by Mike Owen) with the Woodbine heads.  It’s not that easy a convert (mainly because of the angle of the Brigade Games figures’ heads), but I think they look good, and you get the bonus of field packs being carried.  I have converted some Brigade Games French with Zouave heads, and they were so much fun that I've decided to do the same for the  Tirailleur Sénégalaise.

Another alternative is the lovely Forgotten and Glorious range.  These are slightly taller figures than Great War Miniatures, Woodbine and Brigade Games.  They also have a great deal of detail, and very authentically cast rifles, which makes them stand out a from the stable of other manufacturers.  The main noticeable feature of the Forgotten and Glorious range if you want to do Tirailleur Sénégalaise are the heads.  I bought about 40 of these a while back.  They are wonderfully sculpted and cast, of that there is no doubt.  The heads are, however, just slightly larger than the proportions of the Great War Miniatures, Woodbine and Brigade Games figures.  Not by much, I grant, but just enough to look slightly odd. 

I've not tried the Askari Miniatures range, but as I wanted my Tirailleurs to be serving in France on the Western Front, I was really forced to go down the conversion route.

I’ll try and take some photos and post them here so you can see what I mean.  Hope that helps!