Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:13:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697714
  • Total Topics: 118855
  • Online Today: 625
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting on a black undercoat...  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Painting on a black undercoat...
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
What would the Brethren say was the best make of acrylics to cover a black undercoat, on a bunch of Vikings? I've being toying with switching from enamels for a while now and want to get the best 'uns out there... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Painting on a black undercoat...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »
Citadel, Vallejo, Coat D'Arms, Army Painter ... A.N.Other. There's a myriad of opinions over which is the 'best', any of the best selling ones will have their advantages and disadvantages, so the best advice is possibly to use whatever one is most convenient for you to buy.

I personally buy Vallejo more than any other, but some people don't get on with the dropper bottle and the translucent bottles (which make it hard to see the exact colour of the paint).

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »
...They are all different really, and it does depend on what you prefer

I'd find out what ranges you can reasonably acquire without too much fuss, and maybe order a few colours from each to see how you fare.

Personally, I like P3 paints and mostly use them. I like Vallejo a lot too (both Model Colour and Game Colour), and Reaper's paints are brilliant (but very hard to get in the UK).

Other brands to look at are:

Army Painter
Andrea
Coat D'Arms
Citadel
Foundry

You can also have a look at brands that cater for more historical modelling, like Tamiya, and some that are more "craft" paints (like Apple Barrel, Anita's, Decoart, etc).

The other thing about acrylics is that they are all inter-mixable, so you can always cherrypick what you like from each range/brand that takes your fancy (like I do).

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 10:41:09 PM »
If you're undercoating the entire figures, then I'd say don't undercoat at all: just switch to a black primer.

If you're undercoating selective bits of the figures, it kinda doesn't matter IMO, as long as it's something that goes on without brushmarks or too much thickness. Undercoats don't need super fine ground pigments since they aren't being blended or feathered, and the primer's doing all the heavy lifting adhesion wise, so you're okay with using whatever's handy instead of whatever's "best".

Also, IMO enamels are fine for undercoats. Top colors are where the handling differences between enamel and acrylic make the big technique/results differences you've been hearing/reading about.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:46:26 PM »
Citadel, Vallejo, Coat D'Arms, Army Painter ... A.N.Other. There's a myriad of opinions over which is the 'best', any of the best selling ones will have their advantages and disadvantages, so the best advice is possibly to use whatever one is most convenient for you to buy.

I personally buy Vallejo more than any other, but some people don't get on with the dropper bottle and the translucent bottles (which make it hard to see the exact colour of the paint).

Nailed it.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 01:24:52 PM »
Following a black primer, I dry brush in white or off white so that the following colours remain vibrant. My acrylics are a mix of GW layer colours and Vallejo.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 07:52:10 PM »
The GW 'Base colours' work well over black undercoat - it's what they were designed for. The inks/washes, dry-brush paints and 'technical paints, are great too. I've been less impressed by their 'layer paints' which to me simply seem to be watered down to the point of uselessness! YMMV.
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 08:22:23 PM »
For brushing on directly over black primer I've had the best success with P3.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 01:33:06 AM »
Vallejo, Coat D'Arms, P3, some Humbrol, some Revell.

I'd dare to suggest undercoating in grey, Halfords car primer is what I use, saves eyesight.  o_o

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:42 PM »
Phil's advice is sound. As I've continued in the hobby I've definitely found that priming figures in a light grey or white not only lends itself to more vibrant colours, but it's also MUCH easier to see the details of the figure. Often on a black primed model I have to give it a quick dry-brush before I start painting, just so I can see where some of the details are going to be.

For scenery however, I still use black primer.

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:46:34 AM »
I think the main questin should be:"How do you want you paint job to end up?"

Vibrant and clear colours? use white, with or without a wash, or black with a white drybrush or just grey.
Dull and muted? Paint straight over the black undercoat.

Which paints to use? To be honest, I mix and match everything. Each brands has a few colours that stand out and no brand in itself is imho the best, it again really depends on what kind of a finish you are aiming for.

Considering vikings. I had very good results with a black undercoat followed by GW foundation paints and washes an/or highlightes. This keeps them just a bit drab, making the clothing often look well used. Allthough I often don't do it due to being lazy, a good matt varnish in the end makes everything look even better and protects them against some damage over time.
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?