Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:23:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690857
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hudson's Bugs - Yes, they do exist !  (Read 5544 times)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Hudson's Bugs - Yes, they do exist !
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »
Bought these through the Bazar. They were a geniune PITA: brittle material and loose fit of the limbs as well as miscasts/big parting lines or even slightly displaced mold halves.
I assume they won't last long despite my efforts to mount them on acrylic rods for extra strenght, and since I wanted them rather basic, like cockroaches, I went for an easy PJ.

group shot (my homemade photobox proved a bit too small)

detail :

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Hudson's Bugs - Yes, they do exist !
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 10:27:50 AM »
Not bad, nice generic gribble xeno swarm.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 11:32:38 AM »
The acrylic rod looks like a great idea for these.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
I think they look great as a swarm, good job

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »
You've done a great job with these.

I actually bought a box directly from Defiance and had to wait for over 6 months to finally receive them. By then, the project I wanted them for had shifted, so I ever assembeld only one of them.

I agree with the fiddliness and the mouldlines. Also, as resin is not a favourite material of mine, I'm not fond of the restic they used.

I have to diagree on the sturdiness of the assembled figure though; I used super glue gel and that worked fine when assembling them, and the slight flex in the material does give them some survivability I think.

Loving your paintjob as well. I was thinking of doing them brown as well, but a lot lighter, taking real life bugs as an example.

Hmm, maybe after all the Resurrection thread madness, I might revisit them... ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
Nice Work.
    What size bases did you use for them?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:04:40 PM »
Look the bizniz, at any rate. Nice glowy dribble too!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 05:53:40 PM »
You've done a great job with these.

I actually bought a box directly from Defiance and had to wait for over 6 months to finally receive them. By then, the project I wanted them for had shifted, so I ever assembeld only one of them.

I agree with the fiddliness and the mouldlines. Also, as resin is not a favourite material of mine, I'm not fond of the restic they used.

I have to diagree on the sturdiness of the assembled figure though; I used super glue gel and that worked fine when assembling them, and the slight flex in the material does give them some survivability I think.

Loving your paintjob as well. I was thinking of doing them brown as well, but a lot lighter, taking real life bugs as an example.

Hmm, maybe after all the Resurrection thread madness, I might revisit them... ::)

I always use superglue gel, but it didn't hold very well, so I put a dab of putty in each cavity for a better fit. That mostly came back off and had to be glued back in or on.  :?
To glue the acrylic and the legs to the base I used epoxy glue.

Nice Work.
    What size bases did you use for them?

Those are 40mm mdf bases. I opted for that size to have as much of the figure as possible protected by the base.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
Those are 40mm mdf bases. I opted for that size to have as much of the figure as possible protected by the base.

That makes alot of sense.  Looks like they're fairly sizable models as well.  A shame they're such a pain to assemble.

As to glues, for folks looking for a gel superglue that's good for filling gaps and shock absorbing, I highly recommend a rubberized glue such as Gorrilla Impact Tough or BSI Instaflex or IC2000.  It's a good way to get a glue that that will fill, but also one that isn't as brittle and prone to breakage as regular super glue. 

I use plastic solvent for polystyrene and epoxy for heavy metal joins, but Gorilla is great for other materials especially fiddly resin models and any bits that need some shock-resistance.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
I always use superglue gel, but it didn't hold very well, so I put a dab of putty in each cavity for a better fit. That mostly came back off and had to be glued back in or on.  :?
To glue the acrylic and the legs to the base I used epoxy glue.

I hope I'm not sounding presumptious, but did you wash the models before assembly? I found them to be particularly covered in release agent myself...

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »
They look kind of like the D&D Ankheg.
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 10:56:31 PM »
I hope I'm not sounding presumptious, but did you wash the models before assembly? I found them to be particularly covered in release agent myself...

You don't and yes, I always wash plastic & resin models. They get a scrub going in and then I leave 'em for a couple of hours and sometimes even overnight (or in my case overday   :))

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:43 PM »
As to glues, for folks looking for a gel superglue that's good for filling gaps and shock absorbing, I highly recommend a rubberized glue such as Gorrilla Impact Tough or BSI Instaflex or IC2000.  It's a good way to get a glue that that will fill, but also one that isn't as brittle and prone to breakage as regular super glue.

Did a quick  websearch and it looks like those brands aren't to be found on the Mainland. Maybe I'll order it from ebay sometimes. I could also have a look at Salute if anyone happens to carry it.

I use plastic solvent for polystyrene and epoxy for heavy metal joins, but Gorilla is great for other materials especially fiddly resin models and any bits that need some shock-resistance.

Same here for the PS and indeed Epoxy (standard or the metal version) for large/heavy joints. And while typing this, it occured to me that I didn't use putty, but some moldable 2-part metal glue. (I forgot since both it and magic sculp are grey  ::))

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 11:20:03 PM »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 01:16:16 AM »
Did a quick  websearch and it looks like those brands aren't to be found on the Mainland. Maybe I'll order it from ebay sometimes. I could also have a look at Salute if anyone happens to carry it.

Oh, I didn't realize that.  Are there any companies over there that do a full range of hobby cyanoacrylates?  I would assume that someone is making a "rubberized" superglue, but that's just a guess.   Over here BSI http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html is pretty ubiquitous in hobby shops because they ship it with the name of whatever hobby shop is selling it stamped on the label.  Good glue and free advertising for your local hobby shop.   Gorilla is also really common because most home improvement stores carry it.

Best of luck finding a same/similar product.