Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:02:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Toys for boys...  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
Toys for boys...
« on: September 17, 2008, 06:36:58 AM »
A few weeks ago I picked up a plastic toy tank at a junkshop (at .50 Euro) and set it aside for conversion.  Last week I visited a local toy chain store (often buy stuff there for my grandson... lol) and found the said tank (7.61 Euro) boxed with an (otherwise useless) GI Joe type multipose 10+ cm tall soldier.  I got inspired  lol lol lol lol and both some boxes to create a new line of futuristic armour (call it 40K-ish if you wish): AA version (pics below) and tank & assault gun (to follow).

The undercoated AA version (guns are Robogear bits with lengthened barrels) compared to a LR.  The new vehicle is slightly smaller than a Landraider:

The finished model.  The only things I had to "camouflage" were an oversized axe & shovel on the right rear of the vehicle.  I did this with... a camouflage net  :D

The last pic is slightly "pinkish", because at the very moment the shot was taken, an enemy radiation shell exploded nearby  lol

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: Toys for boys...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:49:25 AM »
Looks good, though I'm not very fond of the large weapons on top, they look too toy-like for me (and too large for the figure inside). Apart from the weapons it looks good :)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 07:59:36 AM »
Looks good, though I'm not very fond of the large weapons on top, they look too toy-like for me (and too large for the figure inside). Apart from the weapons it looks good :)

Thank you.  The weapons are not man operated MG's, but (heavier) autocannons, computer/radar-controlled from inside the tank.  The figure behind is just the commander having a peep.  Apart from AA, they are also to be used as infantry support or ( in SF terms: lighter/medium...) ATK guns (much like a German 88).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:04:41 AM by Geudens »

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »

Thank you.  The weapons are not man operated MG's, but (heavier) autocannons, computer/radar-controlled from inside the tank.  The figure behind is just the commander having a peep.  Apart from AA, they are also to be used as infantry support or ( in SF terms: lighter/medium...) ATK guns (much like a German 88).

I like those a lot , I got that they were big remote controlled guns like the heavier stuff you always read about in the back ground.

Lovely

Dodge

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:29:17 AM »
It works for me! On first viewing the big guns did seem out of place, but your description has explained them well.

How come I spend hours trawling through shops to find this sort of stuff, with no success?   :'(

Is the unpainted smaller tank a non-GW vehicle, then? It looks very much like one of their "Imperial Guard" type tanks [I'd have to ask my 9 year old son for the name etc  lol]

I'm intrigued as to how it will turn out  :)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:34:03 AM »

I understood, but they still have that toy look over them, I guess it's because the edges are so rounded, still though, it's functional 8)

Gluteus Maximus> it's an Imperial Guard Leman Russ tank, indeed by GW.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
It's bigger, better, and cooler than the GW Landraider.

Plus you have enough cash leftover to buy the family dinner.

Well done!

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:23:19 PM »
I understood, but they still have that toy look over them, I guess it's because the edges are so rounded, still though, it's functional 8)

I think it may be because your eyes are so used to GW guns.  The "rounded" impression is much more obvious in the pics than in reality.  However, I used all sorts of guns, troops & vehicles (scratchbuilt as well) and as soon as in an army GW isn't the norm any more you tend to look at it differently.  I made a gun shield for the above but opted to leave it off, since it makes the vehicle look top heavy.

Thanks all for the comments, guys!

Rudi
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:55:29 PM by Geudens »

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »
Is the unpainted smaller tank a non-GW vehicle, then? It looks very much like one of their "Imperial Guard" type tanks [I'd have to ask my 9 year old son for the name etc  lol]
I'm intrigued as to how it will turn out  :)

As someone already mentioned: it's a LR, but not far up in the painting Q I'm afraid... (it has been sitting there being "black & beautiful" for over a year now  :D)

Rudi

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »
It's bigger, better, and cooler than the GW Landraider.
Plus you have enough cash leftover to buy the family dinner.
Well done!

Thx, but nope (no family dinner, I'm afraid....  :-[): you just buy more up to all cash being spent...  lol

Rudi
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:46:30 AM by Geudens »

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 06:14:14 PM »
Excellent stuff as always Rudi!

You have a real skill for finding mundane toys/items and turning them into something very cool!!! 8)

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
I've bought one of those vehicles (it's from the Soldier Force line, made by a Chinese company called Chap Mei) just to use its quad-gun:

But now that I've seen you work, Geudens, I'll have to use the vehicle itself. Pity that the pack (vehicle + soldier) is so expensive here in Portugal, or else I would buy more  ;D

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 06:56:33 AM »
I've bought one of those vehicles (it's from the Soldier Force line, made by a Chinese company called Chap Mei) just to use its quad-gun.
But now that I've seen you work, Geudens, I'll have to use the vehicle itself. Pity that the pack (vehicle + soldier) is so expensive here in Portugal, or else I would buy more  ;D

That's the one, indeed!  For all interested, this is the box to look for:

Rudi