Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690847
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 40k Orks. Thinking of taking the plunge  (Read 8163 times)

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
Re: 40k Orks. Thinking of taking the plunge
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »
Over exaggerated sigh and a doe eyed look. What's that you you say? It's all right I'll be fine. Sigh. Seriously I'm ok. Massive intake and release of a sigh. It's just...sigh, I kind of had my heart set on this project. This was going to be one of those armies that I'd take my time with. Do some conversion on them make it unique  and put some love into it. Sigh. What's that you say, why can't I?. It just... It's just that....

GW are a bunch of robbing f**kers with their price hike they are making it very difficult for us to achieve a completed army. And yes I know an army is never complete (14000 points for my Blood Angles, not sure how many points it totals in the new 40k and I'm still anding to it)

Explain it to me please how a bit of polystyrene commands such a price? I could understand if it's a 1/35 DML kit like another panzer 4 cause that's what the world needs another panzer 4. But the dragon kits are state of the art, gen 2 plus as they call them cause it second generation slide moulding and them some. But with dragon kits I get options and I do mean options of how I want the kit to look. I've built Sherman's that come with three different road wheels, two different turret, a choice of no less than three engine decks plus other stuff. There's photo etch frets if you want to replace some of the over scale plastic parts. A turned aluminium gun barrel that on its own would cost around 8-10 quid from the after market guys like Elephant or Verlinden. I get storage moulded in dragon styrene ( vinyl ) and a set of minis. As stated that's a stat of the art kit and command a price of 30-45  pounds in the UK  but I buy the from an ebay trader based in Hong Kong for about 20 quid and pay 10 quid on postage ( I'll buy about three models together and combined postage ). So how the f**k is a GW product of a few grams of plastic so much??

I know that GW do look on this site for feedback. So how's this for feedback stop being such a bunch of corporate greedy c**ts, start treating you customer base with a little respect and lower the prices. You do realise that you don't increase prices cause you've bought some new hard wear for mini production, which coming from a friend of mine who works at the head office is the reason why the price jump cause it's all done in house and not sub contracted. I'm a chef and we've just bought three new combi ovens at ten thousand a piece, so if we where to put the cost of the ovens on our menu prices, that's right I'd have very little customer base cause my product would be over priced. You pay for it out of your gross profit earned from the previous year. That business sense of which you have non!  Do you not understand why staffers like me stuck two fingers up and just walked out.

Ok really wanted to get that off my chest. I'll call back later cause I'm on  break at work. I'll think I'll peruse ebay as I'm waiting for the checks to come in.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum. No wait I've just found another pack in my back pocket. Mmm tropical fruit bubblicious.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »
:yawn:

I don't see what the issue is. Buy a box of minis for £25, assemble/convert them, base them, paint them. If you get that done in a month and I'll be impressed. I used to spend £40 a month on cigarettes!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 08:10:15 PM »
couple of things. First the mods have set up a thread for people going into GW meltdown.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=57122.0

I'll put my reply there. ;)

Offline Mr Papafakis

• Librarian
    • Mr Papafakis
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 03:02:11 AM »
Apart from not liking the newer incarnations of ork minis, paying exorbitant prices for plastic crack, tournament style play, your army only being usable for something like a year before you have to buy another codex etc, I just don't get how much fun you can derive from lining'em up & knocking'em down style of gaming? Sure that's fun when your a teenager, but as an adult, there's got to be something more in a game i.e. Rogue Trader. The rules aren't perfect, but it's an awesome toolkit!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »
Orks are the only thing I would consider buying from GW, as the potential for modeling and kitbashing is huge, and most of the fun! Giant lots can be picked up on ebay for pennies, as folks seem to have big dreams re: Orks and nearly always fail! ::)

So buy on the cheap, pony up for the sets you want/need from GW, and go crazy! Also, play Gorkamorka, and you can actually have fun! Great game, insane builds encouraged, lots of junk, trash, meks, and explosions!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 02:42:05 PM »
folks seem to have big dreams re: Orks and nearly always fail! ::)

I can attest. ;D

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »
Ok I've calmed down. As I've said I'm a chef and his holiness is on holiday so I'm running things. It was very busy yesterday with prepping for valentines day which super chef destroyed the lobster. It should be steamed for fourteen minutes, not roasted at a 180 for half an hour. Plus we had a buffet. Bread and bread does not a sandwich make. I missed all this cause I was doing a wedding show around. Hmm! Oh and I'm now single so I kind of hate this loveydovey crap. My anniversary would have been on the 17th so I'll be in bad mood on Tuesday. So I went and fired both barrels then pulled out my side arm, emptied the clip and chucked a grenade for good measure. Was it to much? ( or not enough?). And I've quit smoking. I'm going to be 35 a week on Monday. Stress. Don't be a chef.

Any who I've been thinking about what minis I like. Now a lot of the rouge trader stuff is a bit pants. But a few do stand out. The war boss with its foot resting on top of a marine helmet is one of my favourites. There was a Goff and a Bad Moon war boss based on the same sculpt. A few of the power armoured Orks appeal to me. So I think I've got a nice selection to chose from. Now the Orks I do want are the Gorkamorka Orks that Brian Nelson sculpted. He took what Kev White and the Perry twins did and greatly Improved the look. As far as I'm concerned he is the one that set the standard for all green skins, fantasy and 40k alike and others have emulated. I know a company did fantasy Orcs the Nelson way. Moon something or other it was called. I want to say Moon Dragon but thats now Snap Dragon studios.
Some of the multi part plastics are ok, but compared with the metal counterparts you can only get so much detail on an injection moulded mini. 

I've seen the Kromlech stuff but not in the flesh so I need a Pepsi Coke challenge. Hint hint!! Quite a few sellers have them on ebay. I just not keen on that trike thingy to ride around on. Are any other minis available from other companies? I'd have thought a few would be on the band wagon. Any way I'll bid you au revoir for the time being as I've got to explain to the kitchen porters why I didn't let them use the dish washer for lunch time. You put away dirty plates by not checking them, then you'll be washing the by hand. To harsh. It's how I was taught. I never did it again.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 09:22:23 PM »
Ok, I'm not going to tell you what to do but maybe try Gorkamorka...

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 11:27:20 PM »
well done on giving up Scurv. I gave ciggies years ago easily, but then was stuck on mini cigars until about 3-4 years ago.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 11:30:42 PM »

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
This is my boomstick!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 01:11:20 AM »
Don't be a chef.

I learned that just from a few months as a kitchen assistant and dishwasher. ;D

You put away dirty plates by not checking them, then you'll be washing the by hand. To harsh. It's how I was taught. I never did it again.

I've seen a few people who think a dishwasher magically dematerialises anything caked on the plate, like a Star Trek transporter.

Anyway. That 'moon' company wasn't Dragon Rune Miniatures, was it? Looks like they're with Armorcast now. And for more orcs of the spacey kind: Puppet's War? Though if you thought GW was pricey...

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 01:25:43 AM »

But Lloyd Bridges makes it look cool!

Dragon Rune was the one I'm thinking of. Tried loads of google searches and got on a micro horse breeders site??? I'll check out Puppet War.

As for kitchen porters tonight I've seen them look at a dirty plate and after the wash cycle, shrug and send it through again. Wipe it you lazy t**t. Going to have to explain what the pre wash is for again. Sigh where are the fags

Anyway muchas gracias for the morale support.

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 01:32:14 AM »
I'm back. Puppet Wars. How f**king much!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 03:01:47 PM »
I learned that just from a few months as a kitchen assistant and dishwasher. ;D
It took me two years of chef's school for it to sink in, but I eventually realized the stress wasn't worth it and went off to uni instead to study IT. I sometimes regret it, when I'm having a nice meal at a restaurant. Then I get flashbacks to the kind of situations described here and think "yeah, that's why..."

:)

Regarding orks, I have little to no recommendations. I like the old stuff. If you go an alternate route, look at Ramshackle for vehicles.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se