Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:54:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Taking the plunge, 6mm Naps?  (Read 981 times)

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
Taking the plunge, 6mm Naps?
« on: January 23, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »
SO I love the baccus models, just rounding off some ancients now. But my club are looking at doing some naps at 6mm.

The Baccus starters come with the polemos rules. Which I have not heard of. But I was looking to enquire what you guys play at this scale?

It does not have to bee the most realistic and time consuming of rules sets. Its more about having a themed game with mates and beers rather than becoming a tactical wizard etc.

Current plan is to use black powder (as we use Hail caesar for or ancients) and scale it down to centimetres. This means we need a bit less ground space, which is always welcome.

But any info greatly appreciated.

Jay. 

Offline Kadzik

• Librarian
    • Kadzikowo
Re: Taking the plunge, 6mm Naps?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
Blucher by Sam Mustafa will be my guess. It's really well made wargame with smooth gameplay. One base represent a +/- Brigade, but is quite scallable.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:43:04 PM »
This chap does quite a bit of polemos on his blog

have a mooch around

LINK - http://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/polemos-general-de-division-aar-action.html

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
With Napoleonics it is important to decide what level of game you want to play before deciding on the rules.

If you want to fight Borodino, Waterloo or Wagram and such battles in their entirety Black Powder will not work. For that you need to look at  rules like Grande Armee, Blucher or (my favourite) Volley & Bayonet. These use bases as brigades and you game with multiple Corps per side. Things like formation changes and skirmishers are abstracted out to concentrate on massed units.

If you want smaller battles or to play only part of a major battle with game options for showing formation changes, skirmish screens etc but still have aspects of higher command then Black Powder is OK, but games like Republique or Lasalle have much better flavour.

Going down to a lower level again with only a Division per side you can have a lot more detail of the units, formations with rules like General de Brigade or Rank & File.

There is an excellent comparison of many different Napoleonic rules  here:
http://www.deepfriedhappymice.com/html/rd_napoleonic.html
I have only mentioned above the ones I actually play.

Really comes down to how much time and how many figures you want to spend. To some extent most rules are scaleable (or so the authors always claim) but there are such good sets written specifically for the different scales of game that making something not designed "fit" is never going to be as good.

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
That's a ton of info guys, I really appreciate the links and will have a mooch today.

As for level, we are all Nap-noobs, and are starting with the baccus army starters. So about 10 stands of line infantry with supporting cav/ arty. I am not sure what 'level' this is intended for.

Personally I like having (aesthetically and functionally) skirmishers and formations, We play warlord games so black powder seems an obvious choice. But I will look through you recommendations, as we do want a bit of that era flavour in the games. We will get a 2 player starter so polemos rules come with that ;).

Cheers again!

Jay.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:09:41 AM by Jockjay »

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
If you like skirmish I'm doing Sharp Practice 2 in 10mm, just changing all the measuring to cm. Would work fine with 6mm if you want a small play area.

Another option is to use a base of 6mm minis to represent one 'man', so e.g. instead of using 8 28mm minis as a single group, you could use 8 bases of 6mm. Should be fine for playing in inches.