Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:39:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 628
Total: 636

Recent

Author Topic: 54mm Inquisitor - Painted 54mm Inquisitorial Staff Car  (Read 19727 times)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
54mm Inquisitor - Painted 54mm Inquisitorial Staff Car
« on: March 11, 2015, 02:45:13 AM »
Greetings,

After a lengthy break from 54mm, I am back madly modelling for 54mm Inquisitor games. Yes I have jumped from 6mm skirmish to 54mm skirmish, and am a scale butterfly! I have cross-posted these models on The Conclave but thought I would put them up here too at the suggestion of James. (note the bases are either unfinished or WIP, and the sepia filter is just to bring the greenstuff/metal together a bit more in the photo).

I haven't had a chance to write background for these guys yet, but I am working on it.

First up, a bound Daemonhost - I posted some WIP pictures of him ages ago. He floats on a grav suspensor (space marine jumpack), his main torso is from an old keeper of secrets (I think), and head from an ogre maneater ninja. He is finished apart from the base. Super happy with how he turned out, this was a very in-depth conversion.

Rear view, showing his vestigial wings. By using guitar wire arranged around a strong brass rod core, I was able to 'float' him without a flight stand

Next up is a fairly stock standard gunslinger. While she has appeared on this forum many times, I just couldn't bring myself to cut her up - the pose and sculpting is excellent. My only concession was to bend the arms slightly for a more natural pose, and give her some pouches and ammo built to represent reloads

This next one was a more involved conversion. Barbaretta body, a Warmachine Jack head (not sure which one), Reaper arm. I am still slightly working out what she represents - any suggestions? The weaponry brings to mind an ex pit-fighter turned bounty hunter, but perhaps I can come up with something else.

Small buckler and dagger arrangement brings to mind a pit fighter

And a really cool shotgun hanging from a belt

This next guy is interesting - I believe maybe a Warzone model, he is too big for 28mm, and small for 54mm. I think he makes a great creepy mutant medicae, with his tools on his belt and mutated hand. The head sculpt is pretty poxy, I think I will give him a rebreather...

A beastman mutant, Ogre Butcher given an increase in height with a GS belt. Not quite finished, he will need a knife on his belt, and a cool speargun on his back

This conversion came together really naturally. An Inquisitrix with radical leanings (but not quite crossed over yet), she sports a wicked chain sword and a power fist. I have a matching other power fist, I think this will be given to another inquisitor and be central to the background....

And a group shot so far for scale

Paint schemes will be 'Blanchian' in nature, with lots of inks, sepia and splatters. The models may be in need of a few more greeblies on them, but equally I don't want to clutter them too much. My aim is to have a number of playable factions, in order to rope some old Necromunda players into some games.

Many more on the way, what do you think?

Cheers The_Baron
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:58:51 AM by The_Baron »

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: 54mm Inquisitor models W.I.P - Daemonhosts, Mutants, Inquistors
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:01:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 04:47:36 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »
Some lovely conversions, and a 'Blanchian' paint scheme will suit.

You've at least got me to guiltily think about my unassembled guys.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:58:31 AM »
Thanks guys! Fun scale to work with, good fun sitting around with a bunch of bits and blutack to see what goes together well.

Von Lucky, I see you live in Melbourne too, get some stuck together and we can have a game!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 01:22:24 PM »
Lovely work. Your conversion-fu is impressive, esp in the larger scale. Looking forward to color on 'em.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »
Very interesting choices and a clever use of pieces! Well done! Wanna see them painted! :-*

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 08:25:27 PM »
Great conversions.
 8) 8)

I dabbled in a few myself when Inq first came out.
You should take a look at 54mm scale historical models for parts as the 40k universe is so weird and varied that even Napoleonic uniforms seem to work really well.
 ;)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »
Thanks!

Yes definitely going to raid some historicals, rather tempted by the Victrix hard-plastic 54mm,  would make killer imperial guard (either the french or British) and easy to convert too as hard plastic.

Another Update!

And here is my next conversion. My radical inquisitor who has very clearly crossed the line, much like Quixos. He is clearly going to be a big bad in the campaign - power armour, daemon sword and power fist. Also a bolt pistol mag-locked to his armour. He is going to need less twisted minions to do his bidding without raising so much attention.

On to the conversion - sergeant stone's head takes on a new level of creepy, looks like Sam Neil in event horizon. Back storey will reflect this, experiments with the Mechanicus for faster warp travel. This ended... poorly.

I need to add an Armour plate over the hydraulic part to bulk it up a bit. Looks a little weedy at the moment. My Inquisitrix has the matching power fist, a relic of the Horus Heresy. This will be a point of contention between them.

The pistol has a clip modelled on attached to the leg - it didn't suit him at the waist, here it is within reach. Still looks like it is floating, so may need to define this further.

More to come soon.
Cheers
The Baron

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 54mm Inquisitor WIP - updated 20 March with Radical Inquisitor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »
Very cool stuff  8) Keen to see more, how many factions you planned to have?

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
Re: 54mm Inquisitor WIP - updated 20 March with Radical Inquisitor
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 11:26:58 AM »
Very cool stuff  8) Keen to see more, how many factions you planned to have?

Thanks pocoloco  :D
Hmm that's a good question... The rough plan at the moment is to have a radical, middle of the road and firebrand Ordo Malleus, and associated retinues,  as well as an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor and Rogue Trader. And a space marine. And a Tau.... But no hard and fast plans, it really is the models which are driving this project, and the freedom to be creative!

Another model completed, a hard as nails Ordo Malleus Inquisitor. Once again power Armour and fist and sword mean he really is only a 'boss' character.

This is a Hitech Minis 54mm Exorcist model. He comes on an integral base, which has him stepping on some kind of servitor and book - nice enough, but not matching my other bases. It is also too tall, and the sides of the base are ROUGH. Like the sculptor sloppily schmudged some leftover green stuff on there at the last minute. Strange as the rest is so crisp. Anyway, after much careful cutting with a junior hacksaw, I removed him with only minor damage and made a new base.

Cheers,
The Baron

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 54mm Inquisitor WIP - updated 22 March with Puritan Inquisitor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 02:36:36 PM »
I have been eyeing those HiTech minis from time to time, now you might have given me a reason to get few of those at some point :)

Tau in 54mm sounds intriguing, any source for minis in mind yet?

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »
Love the base on that inquisitor!
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 04:55:40 PM »
Nice work.
These conversions are so full of character.
 8) 8)

Another useful source of parts could be the old demon princes that GW made some time ago.
You should be able to pick them up fairly cheap on ebay.
 ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »
Very Blanchitsu  8) 8)

Looking forward to seeing them painted  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »
Thank you all for your compliments  :D

Tau in 54mm sounds intriguing, any source for minis in mind yet?

I suggest you Google Alien Commander 2.0 54mm  ;)

Another useful source of parts could be the old demon princes that GW made some time ago.
You should be able to pick them up fairly cheap on ebay.
 ;)

If you scroll up a little Mason,  the radical inquisitor does in fact use the legs and torso from an old demon prince - with a bit of greenstuff at the waist for height!

Hoping to get some paint on these guys soon, but maybe a few more WIP first. And a question for you too ( cross posted from the conclave )

Picked this guy up

This is a Ral Partha museum scale troll model.
Here is a scale shot with my Inquisitor

And a ruler

So he is roughly 75mm ish tall.

And a shot of his face

Ok so the question is, to Ork or to Ogryn?
His race could go either way with minor sculpting (horns removed from back of head).
Size wise he could fit either, perhaps a touch big for a normal Ork but fine for a Nob.
Equipment he could be either, spread hand is a bit goofy and needs to be holding something. Equipment and clothing is humanish, but if he is an Ork he will be a Blood Axe. Putting aside fluff going against using an Ork  . Inquisitor (which can be explained, particulary for where my games will be operating).

And a last delightful shot of the box art, some nice fashion on this guy lol

So, what do you guys think?

Cheers The Baron