Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686498
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Historical sculpts  (Read 14183 times)

Offline skip

• Scientist
Re: 28mm Historical sculpts
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 08:48:17 PM »
very nice, your proportions are very good natural poses, keep it up :)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »
Well I been drawing models for some years, so I have a decent knowledge of anatomy

Aha! :D

I don't think you're having much trouble with the learning curve of sculpting, though. I think having a good idea of form helps a lot.

To bad about the Brown stuff I kind of liked it, on my latest sculpts I only used it for armour and weapons, because I think it's god at holding sharp egdes, and you can file it.

Regards
TAX

Procreate was marketed as a replacement to green stuff and brown stuff when it appeared, though I don't think it quite  matches the abilities of brown stuff. One thing that others do is to use one of the many clay-like putties, which cure quite hard and are even better for edges and filing; either on their own, or to modify the properties of green stuff or procreate towards something like brown stuff, or further. Stuff like milliput, magic sculp, apoxie sculpt and other Aves putties, asculpt, etc. Depends on your preferences, though.

Offline TAX

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 11:25:30 PM »
Thanks for all comments and feedback! 

@ vermis: thanks for the tip, I vill try that when I'm running out of brown stuff!

Here is a picture of one of three sculpts I'm doing at the moment. It's a hellenistic general. He is supposed to lean his left arm on the hip and hold a sword in the right when he's finished. His feets looks very big on the picture, perhaps I correct that if They still look big when he have the hole body..
I'm not sure if he should be bareheaded, helmet or have a kausia ( a macedonian hat).
Suggestions?

Kind Regards
TAX

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 09:31:52 AM »
That is some excellent sculpting.  I like the look of the Macedonian general - perhaps bareheaded carrying a helmet?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
Those are really good sculpts. You clearly have an innate talent and a bloody good eye. Keep up the good work.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 10:10:48 PM »
Thanks for the answers, sorry I'm always curious about these things. I see the heads are a bit bigger that the Perry's but well within good wargaming figure proportions!

The thureophoroi is the best so far, lovely cloth. The general's feet need to be redone but the rest is tasty! I still struggle with feet after a few years sculpting....

I left a comment on another thread about putties...will go dig it out.

Edit:

I use "Uro" polymer clay for almost all if my sculpting but I find Procreate very useful for building up quick and solid armatures.

A few tips, one option is mix a little milliput into it to help give a more "clay like" or less rubbery feel. Up to 5% will into the mix will give you a nice all round putty, more will soften it too much for my liking but extend your work time plus give you an extremely strong figure. Personally I only do this for strength (or if it's something needed sanding/filing) as I dislike the mess on my fingers and tools from milliput but it's quite nice to work with nonetheless (if you're curious I use a mix of milliput black and superfine white to keep everything tonally similar and grey). 
The other option is to add a little polymer clay (sculpy, Fimo, etc). It gives it that nice clay feel to a degree and extrends the work time. If you intend to put the sculpt in a vulcanising mould then don't add more than 5-10% as it weakens the material. If it's a one off or for resin casting the go up to 50% and it should stay solid once cured. You won't need to bake it, the epoxy reaction will be enough to harden the sculpt.

Also, talking of ovens...if you've got space it's worth investing a small amount of money in a halogen oven. Mine cost about £25 and sits in my studio curing epoxy on "thaw" and cooking polymer clay on 120 all day every day.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:17:14 PM by Andrew May »

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 11:54:35 PM »
If these are your first seven sculpts, you definitely are a fast learner!

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 05:43:28 AM »
On the Allmoge, you may find a lot of interest from members of a Stocholm club. If you search out Dalauppror on here, you'll see what I mean ;)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 07:25:19 AM »
The sculpts look excellent so far. Detail and anatomy is quite realistic and remind me more of well detailed 1/72's than exaggerated 28's - you're doing a great job.

For your Macedonian General -how about a kausia with a fillet, making him a king? I don't think I've every seen a command figure like that.

You've got real talent.

Offline TAX

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »
Hello everybody!

Sorry for not posted here for some time, spring has come to Sweden with gardenwork taking up all my free time.

On the Allmoge, you may find a lot of interest from members of a Stocholm club. If you search out Dalauppror on here, you'll see what I mean ;)
Actually me and Mr. Dalauppror are both members of the same gaming club! He is the medieval Swedish guru, so he's given me lots of feedback.

Here are some pictures of yet another Allmoge soldier, personally I think he's the best miniature I sculpted this far. The problem with this one is that he is to small, more like the old 25mm than 28mm.. It's dam hard to keep the correct size.

This is my solution to keeping size and also speed up the sculpting, a dummy. I notice that I'm not the only one on LAF coming to this solution.
Perhaps he's a bit to "chunky".

The Macedonian general isn't finished yet, resculpted the poses of his arms a couple of times, but I think I got them now. Cloak, head, left arm and sword are not yet finished.

That's all for now!

Kind Regards
TAX

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 07:09:26 PM »
You are very talented.

Really like what you are doing.

Looking forward to your progress

dodge

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »
Your last Allmoge is excellent, a pity he's too small. The general is also likely to look good once finished.

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »
Liking your sculpting style alot, you have a great eye for proportions .

Offline TAX

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
Thanks for all nice comments!

Finally I'm done with the Hellenistic commander.. I've resculpted his arms a least four times before I was satisfied with them.

Perhaps his face is a bit chubby...
comments?

/TAX

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 01:00:37 PM »
Looks fine to me.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous